Green Bay area diagnosis; guru or service recommendations noise 2014 jsw tdi 6m ~ 85k

prsa01

Veteran Member
TDI
14 jsw 6m, 96 B4v, miss my a4 :(
Will be in green bay for the next several days and my car has an intermittent noise that is suddenly becoming more consistent. Started as a VERY brief squeal/chatter (about 1 second) only occasionally on startup. Did this occasionally last summer then not again until the past week. Now twice, 2 days apart, it has continued to make the noise for a minute or more while driving. There were probably 20 starts in between that didn't do it.

Wondering if anyone in this area would be able to help diagnose or recommend a place to take it.

Possible thoughts based on my reading here:
o. Belt idler/tensioner (bearing, etcl
o. Alternator pulley clutch intermittently locking up
o. DMF
o. Tb tensioner/idler
o.?? Other ideas??

Thanks much

Last edited:

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Will be in green bay for the next several days and my car has an intermittent noise that is suddenly becoming more consistent. Started as a VERY brief squeal/chatter (about 1 second) only occasionally on startup. Did this occasionally last summer then not again until the past week. Now twice, 2 days apart, it has continued to make the noise for a minute or more while driving. There were probably 20 starts in between that didn't do it.

Wondering if anyone in this area would be able to help diagnose or recommend a place to take it.

Possible thoughts based on my reading here:
o. Belt idler/tensioner (bearing, etcl
o. Alternator pulley clutch intermittently locking up
o. DMF
o. Tb tensioner/idler
o.?? Other ideas??

Thanks much
Sound like starter bendex disengaging?

prsa01

Veteran Member
TDI
Sound like starter bendex disengaging?
Yes, that is another possibility. I know the PO had the starter replaced right before I bought it (~ 20k). I wasn't able to get details from that shop at the time so not t sure what they put in.

It's been years since I've heard a starter not disengaging but this sounds different than what I remember from that.

Interestingly, the couple of times the sound has continued more than a second after starting have been days when it has been started a bunch of times.

Last edited:

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Yes, that is another possibility. I know the PO had the starter replaced right before I bought it (~ 20k). I wasn't able to get details from that shop at the time so not t sure what they put in.

It's been years since I've heard a starter not disengaging but this sounds different than what I remember from that.

Interestingly, the couple of times the sound has continued more than a second after starting have been days when it has been started a bunch of times.
After I changed my trans. I started having a metal twang sound. Like someone tapped on a piece of metal. It would ring. Factory starter should be bosh.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
DING DING DING - we have a winner! It was the starter not fully disengaging. Shimmed for now and an OEM starter will be installed when I get home.
I have a spare one sitting. Think I paid 100 plus shipping. Was a low miles used starter. I've pulled it apart, cleaned and lubed everything. 02e911023s Bosch 0061121435(436)

prsa01

Veteran Member
TDI
I have a spare one sitting. Think I paid 100 plus shipping. Was a low miles used starter. I've pulled it apart, cleaned and lubed everything. 02e911023s Bosch 0061121435(436)
I would have taken you up on it, thanks, but already ordered.