Great! Now Global Warming is killing my Fuel Economy

Status
Not open for further replies.

thebigarniedog

Master of the Obvious
TDI
1998 Jetta tdi
Welcome to December 2010. The fourth coldest in Ohio in recorded history. It seems that the average morning temperature is below 10 degrees Farenheit with a wind chill in the negative territory. Snow/ice and highs in the teens it reminds one of what February is supposed to be like --- not December. Fuel economy is suffering from warm ups (i.e. to defrost the ice from the various windows). I am not looking forward to the math on this tank.

Sadly, Global Warming Theory seems to be missing (once again in Ohio) and from what it appears, the Continental US is facing record low temperatures (again). I am really kicking myself for not buying a frost heater --- but I take solice in the fact that it is probably colder then I would want it to be to install it. Maybe it will get up to the mid twenties so I can install my heated seats .......

Anyone else taking a similar hit?

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
You cannot extrapolate from local climate to global climate. To see whether there is any global phenomenon, you must look at global data.

That said, *IF* global warming is a fact, you must realize that heat is the driving energy behind all weather. More heat in the global system will equate to more energy in the entire system. This will mean more intense storms (both winter and summer). Hence, global warming *CAN* (in theory) produce more intense winter storms. I have no intention of arguing for or against global warming, I'm simply explaining how global warming can sometimes produce more intense cold weather in some areas. It's just the way weather works.

Have Fun!

Don

thebigarniedog

Master of the Obvious
TDI
1998 Jetta tdi
Weather <> Climate
You cannot extrapolate from local climate to global climate. To see whether there is any global phenomenon, you must look at global data.

That said, *IF* global warming is a fact, you must realize that heat is the driving energy behind all weather. More heat in the global system will equate to more energy in the entire system. This will mean more intense storms (both winter and summer). Hence, global warming *CAN* (in theory) produce more intense winter storms. I have no intention of arguing for or against global warming, I'm simply explaining how global warming can sometimes produce more intense cold weather in some areas. It's just the way weather works.

Have Fun!

Don
Yeah, it was frigid here last winter as well. The theory is global warming not freezing, so when does weather translate into climate? :rolleyes:

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 VW Jetta, 5 M, Reflex Silver: 09 Jetta, 6 Sp DSG, Candy White: 12 VW Touareg, 8 Sp A/T, Flint Gray
There was an article in the WSJ that cash strapped formally snow bound city's that used to plow the walkways and streets are battling to make the homeowners responsible and... liable. Gotta love the global warming blather. Is this business stimulus for PI lawyers?

White Crow

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 gls tdi
I live in Maine it snows here, last year it didn't but in Balt./Wash. did and lots of it. Some years it snows 150" here in the mountains forget global warming that you don't feel but that is what is causing climate change and wild weather swings next year you may run your A/C in Dec.

FredIA

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 A5 Jetta, Shadow Blue, Pkg #1/XM, rear side curtain airbags
Welcome to December 2010.
Sadly, Global Warming Theory seems to be missing (once again in Ohio) and from what it appears, the Continental US is facing record low temperatures (again). Anyone else taking a similar hit?
It was supposed to be a warm, wet winter here in Iowa. So far it's been a below zero wet winter (average highs are supposed to be 35*F the last couple of weeks). I feel your pain. Ask me how I know a 2006 TDI cant clear more than about 3.5" of snow...

But, "dummy".. it's Climate CHANGE not "Global Warming"... didn't you get the bulletin from those people who want to control EVERYTHING? :eek: I think the last big Hollywood movie I saw on it the Earth froze, right?

Lets see where the counter balancing of these record cold temeperatures in Asia, N. America and Europe is now. Is it 160*F in Australia now to make up for it?

Fred

Status
Not open for further replies.