Grand Cherokee CRD Owners...feedback please!

DrewD

Veteran Member
I'm seriously considering purchasing an 07 Grand Cherokee CRD.

Before I make the leap, I would like to know your experiences with this machine..good and bad.

I was originally going to get a Toureg 10cylinder TDI but the horror stories about tires wearing in 10-12k miles, brakes wearing prematurely, and electrical issues put me off on the Toureg. I'd consider a V6 TDI Toureg but I jsut can't justify paying more for a car than my parents first house cost.

Please tell me what to expect with the Cherokee CRD. Any problems or issues I should be aware of? For example, my CRD Liberty eats EGR and AFC valves regularly and the check engine light is LED for a reason, no filament to burn out

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
They are pretty robust.

Benz engine et all. You'll have very little issue with that truck. Other good news is the rest is Jeep so they are actually suprisingly durable and easy to fix. Parts like brakes and suspensions are all DIY and cheap. Quardratrac II is pretty robust but make sure you do all the drive train fluids every 20-30K miles. It'll take an afternoon and cost you $180 for good synthetics but it's easy.

talltacoma

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 Sedan Manual
I was interested until I found out how much they were going for. Then, the fuel economy didn't seem high enough to justify the diesel engine.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
The engines in them are not sourced from Mercedes. They have some problems with torque converters (not being able to handle the torque of the diesel). There was actually a recall that retuned the engine computer to take away a bit of the low end torque.

-Jason

UFO

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle
compu_85 said:
The engines in them are not sourced from Mercedes. They have some problems with torque converters (not being able to handle the torque of the diesel). There was actually a recall that retuned the engine computer to take away a bit of the low end torque.

-Jason
You may be thinking of the '05-'06 Liberty with the VM Motori 2.8 liter diesel. The '07 is a Grand Cherokee with a 3.0 liter Mercedes diesel, afaik it has no torque converter issues.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
DrewD said:
I'm seriously considering purchasing an 07 Grand Cherokee CRD.
Drew, there's an entire segment of the 2007MY production that was mis-fueled (I believe at the factory) and have had some extensive repairs. Be aware of this. Buying a 2008 would avoid this "little" issue ;)

Last edited:

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport
The 2007 Cherokee CRD is an awesome vehicle. The engine and transmission is 100% Mercedes and the good proven stuff.

30K miles, only issues a failed glow plug and the front windows pinch guard being too sensitive and failing to go up. All this was under warranty. Unlike VW, MB uses the steel glow plugs instead of ceramic. This is better.

The reason to buy this vehicle is not so much about the diesel being cheaper reason. It is the amount of torque. This engine produces 215 HP and 376 ft/lb of torque. I tow frequently and this vehicle never has to downshift on passes. I can tow 7,500 pounds with it.

As well I get 28 MPG on the highway, 20 around town and 24 combined. Of course towing drops that to about 17 MPG.

I run B100 without issue. I do Used Oil Analysis and the engine is a good one. The iron and other metals are always low. If you run B100 you have to watch for any dilution via the UOA. I have not had the issue, but this is the only way to know for sure.

The only maintenance is the oil change which is relatively easy to do. I do the pella extract from the dipstick first which gets about 7 liters. I then drop the skid plate (see if the one you are looking at has this OPTION) and drain the rest from the pan. I do this because the pressure behind 10 Liters sends the oil from the drain plug EVERYWHERE under the car creating a mess.

Just make sure you get the oil change records and verify the MB 229.51 approve oil was used. Some of the dealers do NOT use the right oil. I thing the dealer use the MB certified MOBIL 1, but I use the Elf Solaris LSX 5w30 (now Total Quartz Energy INEO MC3 5w30).

I have the differential fluids changed by the dealer more frequently (15K miles) because of the towing and off-road use.

It has the full time four wheel drive and it is awesome. I got the blizzak winter tires and they get through most snow conditions. I use the vehicle in the snow country of the Cascade mountains. I have chains for all fours and have only had to use them occasionally to get through. I tow a snow mobile trailer in the winter and this vehicle gets through were others get stuck.

The new 4 wheel drive system they did on the CRD's puts power to the wheels that have traction, up to 100% to one tire and I have verified this. The old Explorer pissed me off that in 4 low tires would spin that were in the air and no traction to the tires on the ground.

Any other questions fire away. You should get a good deal on these now. They were $42 grand new and very little discounting.

Last edited:

DrewD

Veteran Member
Thanks for the info. I was going to buy one this weekend but wife just lost her job yesterday :-(

I guess it wasn't mean to be. We need an SUV that has better towing capacity than the Liberty CRD. Our trailer is about 3k lbs but going up 12k foot passes at 45mph and sometimes slower (Duranto to Ouray) has gotten old for my wife and I. I figure the 7500 tow capacity and more powerful engine in the G Cherokee CRD would allow us to tow up Colorado's mountain passes at a more respectable speed.

Pat Dolan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Variant, 2015 Q7
DrewD said:
Thanks for the info. I was going to buy one this weekend but wife just lost her job yesterday :-(

I guess it wasn't mean to be. We need an SUV that has better towing capacity than the Liberty CRD. Our trailer is about 3k lbs but going up 12k foot passes at 45mph and sometimes slower (Duranto to Ouray) has gotten old for my wife and I. I figure the 7500 tow capacity and more powerful engine in the G Cherokee CRD would allow us to tow up Colorado's mountain passes at a more respectable speed.
Sorry to hear about your kick in the wallet. If you still want/need to tow, need an SUV but don't want to blow a big wad, maybe consider a Suburban with the last of th 6.5s. Actually a very good engine, superb reliability, and will easily drag 3k through the rocks without any strain (I just got back from pulling a car back from San Diego up I-15 - AVERAGED 70 mph and about 15 mpg - this with a '97 1/2 ton, 6.5). Not my truck, but one we have had around for commercial use (200,000 kms) for 12 years and is just too good to let go.

My best bud also has a 3.0 CRD Jeep and my other closest friend has an ML320. Fantastic vehicles, both have been 100% trouble free, but neither get a lot of miles. Such a waste! If I can ever see my way through the price tag, I am considering an R-class with the 3 litre, mostly because of the experience of my friends with their engines.

Last edited:

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03... Faster than yours =]
My 6.5 is an absolute dog with the car trailer behind me.. they are MUCH better with some light mods (chip and intercooler), but stock they are 190hp/380tq, not the greatest for pulling a 5500lb truck AND a trailer.. The "F" motors are a little tougher then the "S" motors and they pull better even though they are rated at 180/360.. They were in the 2500/3500 trucks.. The 1500 ones got the "S"..

MrMopar

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none
lkchris said:
That they are, and getting one serviced at a Jeep dealer is a VERY frightening thought.

I wouldn't touch one.
If it is not a warranty issue, you likely could take the Jeep to a MB dealership for any engine issues.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
MrMopar said:
If it is not a warranty issue, you likely could take the Jeep to a MB dealership for any engine issues.
I asked this question of our local MBz dealer when considering one of these vehicles earlier this year. The MBz dealer said they would not work on it - paid or otherwise. I supposed that could vary by location.

MrMopar

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none
dieseldorf said:
I asked this question of our local MBz dealer when considering one of these vehicles earlier this year. The MBz dealer said they would not work on it - paid or otherwise. I supposed that could vary by location.
Really? Most dealership service departments work on other brands, because they're there to make money on service. That's odd that a MB dealership wouldn't at least take on engine repairs for something with a MB engine in it.

Pat Dolan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Variant, 2015 Q7
TDIJetta99 said:
My 6.5 is an absolute dog with the car trailer behind me.. they are MUCH better with some light mods (chip and intercooler), but stock they are 190hp/380tq, not the greatest for pulling a 5500lb truck AND a trailer.. The "F" motors are a little tougher then the "S" motors and they pull better even though they are rated at 180/360.. They were in the 2500/3500 trucks.. The 1500 ones got the "S"..
5,500 pounds, jeez, Jason, what do you haul! I guess that would feel "noticed" behind a 6.5. I seldom see 3k for anything I have behind INCLUDING the trailer! This last trip was flat towing a 2,200 lb. Miata - hardly noticed it there, cost me a bit over 10% mileage reduction. Still used less than half the fuel my 7.3 would have done for the same trip (and nearly 3x what the Jetta would have).

I guess my point is the 6.5 is not that far away from the new 3.0 in power, and not that far behind in fuel consumption - just light years away in cost.

jasonTDI

TDI
Got a good friend with a 94 2500 suburban, black, leather (custom) LOTS of other features, (roof solar for network) FULL BANKS conversion. 13lbs boost. vs 5-7lbs. BRAND new turbo and PCM (best aftermarket one, remote location) Front frame reinforcements and a full articulation 8 ft winged western commercial grade plow. New rear end and leafs, most suspension. Fortera Kevlar tires. TX truck until 3 years ago.

The bad. The truck had a wiring harness fire at the firewall. You'd have to splice in a 12" section of wiring or so and do a bit of smoke remediation.

He's looking for about $5K. THIS truck will pull 10K plus pounds no problem. PM me for more info.

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
jasonTDI said:
Got a good friend with a 94 2500 suburban, black, leather (custom) LOTS of other features, (roof solar for network) FULL BANKS conversion. 13lbs boost. vs 5-7lbs. BRAND new turbo and PCM (best aftermarket one, remote location) Front frame reinforcements and a full articulation 8 ft winged western commercial grade plow. New rear end and leafs, most suspension. Fortera Kevlar tires. TX truck until 3 years ago.

The bad. The truck had a wiring harness fire at the firewall. You'd have to splice in a 12" section of wiring or so and do a bit of smoke remediation.

He's looking for about $5K. THIS truck will pull 10K plus pounds no problem. PM me for more info.
That's not a bad deal at all, especially if you can do the wiring repair..

Pat.. The blazer just by itself weighs 5500lbs.. the scale usually says 7300-7400 when I leave the scrap yard with the empty car trailer which weighs 1850.. my combined weight with the camaro on the trailer is about 10500-11000..

lkchris

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 New Beetle
MrMopar said:
Really? Most dealership service departments work on other brands, because they're there to make money on service. That's odd that a MB dealership wouldn't at least take on engine repairs for something with a MB engine in it.
This engine is about as much computer as it is mechanical and it could be all the computer control for the Jeep isn't the same as for this installation in a Mercedes.

Jeep no longer sells new vehicles with this engine and given the VERY shakey future of Chrysler, I'd consider one of these vehicle a true orphan.

brew1

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW SEL TDI
We picked up a used 2008 GC CRD Overland Edition this past summer. Luv it! Driving the GC CRD compared to our Liberty CRD is the difference between night and day. The GC doesn't even sound like a diesel when you're driving.

No problems with the GC yet. Can't say the same for the Liberty.:mad:

Topside oil changes are easy with the oil filter up top and an oil extracter.

Ok, there was one problem with the GC, my fault. I bent the $hit out the plastic skid plate that supposidly protects the transmission/transfer case. I was a bit aggressive when driving off road on some logging trails in the UP this summer. I had to cut it off since it was pretty mangled and dragging under the vehicle.

Now I have a reason to go out and replace it with a real skid plate.

2008 was the last year for the Mercedes CRD imported in the US in either the GC or the Mercedes sedan. It is my understanding that any Mercedes Bluetec diesels imported after 2008 will have the urea injection system that requires filling every so often.

jasonTDI

TDI
NB_TDi said:
Ah the Western world. Always needing things that are useless.

Really? That's a self serving leftest comment for sure....:rolleyes:

Some people need trucks. Period. Go back to Europe.....

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB_TDi said:
Truck, perhaps. SUV. No.

They aren't the same. Don't confuse them.
ummm... my full size, diesel powered SUV serves BOTH the purpose of a pickup truck, and a station wagon... It pulls my car trailer, plows snow, can drive through more snow than ANY normal car, and gets decent fuel economy for a 5500lb vehicle.. Plus, as an added bonus it can carry 5 people around comfortably with all our snowmobile/ski gear with the car trailer loaded with 5 sleds on it (really fun to load/unload), up the mountain, in a blizzard, with the plow hanging on the front to plow out the road to the house upstate when we get there... Do that with a car... I would actually like to have a Diesel Ford Excursion of the 7.3L variety.. That would suit my needs a little better..

Truck based SUV's have their purpose... Some of them... A lexus RX300 is a waste, along with most of the car-based suv's..

milehighassassin

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Golf TDi PD, Reflex Silver
NB_TDi said:
Truck, perhaps. SUV. No.

They aren't the same. Don't confuse them.
So what does a family with 4 children, a husband and wife use to pull a camping trailer?

A boat?

There are plenty of good uses. Don't sit there and say a truck is fine but an SUV is not alright. 95% of the time the truck and SUV use the exact same motor and transmission, most of the frame is the same, etc. The truck might get a mile per gallon better fuel economy.

:rolleyes: