Got yelled at on the highway

vwman2

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta Wagon Tdi, 2010 Golf TDI
Well today while driving to work someone pulls up next to me opens there window and begins to show me a thumb downs hand signal and starts saying I'm killing people by driving my car lol

Made my morning lol

dgoodhue

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 6MT JSW
My wife bought her JSW for fuel economy and believes in limiting her impact on the environment. After a few not so nice text messages from her green hybrid friends about her TDI, my wife is digging her heels in and keeping her diesel.

DubFamily

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328D xDrive
Well today while driving to work someone pulls up next to me opens there window and begins to show me a thumb downs hand signal and starts saying I'm killing people by driving my car lol
Made my morning lol
What did they pull up next to you in...? That's the all important missing piece here. :cool:

ihatespeed

Veteran Member
TDI
11 tdi wagon 6mt 15 golf 6mt (Wife's) 2000 Ford 350 7.3l 6mt 4x4 (technically a TDI)
+1 on curiosity about the complainers ride, so maybe you can make a little more smog than the avg suv, but I bet if everyone drove at 40+ mpg the environment would be alot happier.

Seriusly though, I firmly believe that even with the deceit my 2011 JSW is more environmentally friendly than any vehicle that fills the same purpose and gets half the miliage.

TDIpilot4u

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
My wife bought her JSW for fuel economy and believes in limiting her impact on the environment. After a few not so nice text messages from her green hybrid friends about her TDI, my wife is digging her heels in and keeping her diesel.
Good for your wife! She has a good car regardless of what they say!

dmarsingill

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Sportwagen Turned in , 2000 Z3 Coupe, 2003 Ford Expedition
ihatespeed;4911396 my 2011 JSW is more environmentally friendly than any vehicle that fills the same purpose and gets half the miliage.[/QUOTE said:
I was thinking about this today. My Expedition obviously expels 2.7 times the amount of exhaust. Does testing take into consideration the volume of exhaust coming out? If the Expy has half the NOx ppm, but it gets 3.2 times worse gas mileage, doesn't that mean the VW has less footprint?

These figures are estimates.....I'm not an expert.

Donald

panthers89fan90

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI
I would have to agree with everyone here. People are hating a car that gets 40+ mpg when there are BRAND NEW trucks and suvs out there getting 12-15 mpg. Gas guzzlers are a cause of pollution based on the fact that drilling for oil causes air and water pollution. But also, the people in hybrid cars have no room to talk either. The amount of pollution to make their battery packs is insane. Disposal of battery packs is harmful as well. The green badge on the back of a hybrid doesn't tell the whole story.

MN_TDI12

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI DSG w/Nav
Comment from a buddy of mine: If someone told me I was killing people by driving my TDI around, I would literally take my TDI and drive into them so they died, just to prove they were right

ihatespeed

Veteran Member
TDI
11 tdi wagon 6mt 15 golf 6mt (Wife's) 2000 Ford 350 7.3l 6mt 4x4 (technically a TDI)
very intersting, I was suspicious about the "40 times" the legal amount hoopla, every one allways grabs for the best sounding statistic, saving 50% is impressive, but on a 2 cent scale its only a penny..

Indwelling

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Jetta Tdi 2005 Passat Wagon TDI
The amount of pollution to make their battery packs is insane. Disposal of battery packs is harmful as well. The green badge on the back of a hybrid doesn't tell the whole story.
Don't forget about the bad gasses that the batteries give off while charging.

Indwelling

Veteran Member
TDI
Correct me if i'm wrong here but with Chevy scandal that killed people they settled on 900 million. With Vw scandal that killed no one they are expected to pay in the Billions? Must be good to be owned by the government. :rolleyes:

Brian's96TDIPASSAT

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Golf TDI SEL 14 Passat SEL, bought back by VW 11 Golf TDI, bought back by VW 05 Passat TDI 96 Passat TDI, sold
Correct me if i'm wrong here but with Chevy scandal that killed people they settled on 900 million. With Vw scandal that killed no one they are expected to pay in the Billions? Must be good to be owned by the government. :rolleyes:
The difference is GM did not "set out to supply a bad ignition switch" but VW "set out knowingly to fudge an EPA emission/fuel economy test" BTW, I'm an adjuster and I've about had it with the :eek: what ya gonna do now with your VW. I wish I had no cats/DPF and a tune on least one of them cuz I"d roll coal on there ass, LOL

Purch

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI 6spd
The difference is GM did not "set out to supply a bad ignition switch" but VW "set out knowingly to fudge an EPA emission/fuel economy test" BTW, I'm an adjuster and I've about had it with the :eek: what ya gonna do now with your VW. I wish I had no cats/DPF and a tune on least one of them cuz I"d roll coal on there ass, LOL

Ummm I'm pretty sure GM knew about the ignition switch problem for many years yet did nothing about it. Knowing you have faulty parts that kill people is a hell of a lot worse than cheating emissions in my book.

Indwelling

Veteran Member
TDI
Ummm I'm pretty sure GM knew about the ignition switch problem for many years yet did nothing about it. Knowing you have faulty parts that kill people is a hell of a lot worse than cheating emissions in my book.
You would be correct. GM new of the problem. They even had the new part made and sat on it. I'm just glad VW didn't kill a lion....

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Absolutely true. GM knew that the ignition switch cover up would directly result in a multitude of deaths, yet they thought profits were more important. Really not an uncommon corporate attitude. It's very clear to me that GM was much, much more in the wrong.

Vidgamer

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI (turned in)
No one's yelled at me. Maybe people in flyover country are less concerned about the irreparable harm caused to Mother Gaia from the slight increase in NOx? :D

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
.......at sea 9/25 - 10/10..........

(but remain free of pollutant yelling; traffic anger is another subject - as I do not accelerate into a red light).......

ez (USNR)

Brian's96TDIPASSAT

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Golf TDI SEL 14 Passat SEL, bought back by VW 11 Golf TDI, bought back by VW 05 Passat TDI 96 Passat TDI, sold
Absolutely true. GM knew that the ignition switch cover up would directly result in a multitude of deaths, yet they thought profits were more important. Really not an uncommon corporate attitude. It's very clear to me that GM was much, much more in the wrong.
I guess I should have re-phrased that to GM didn't set out initially to kill or design a faulty part. The air bag re-call is not a lot different, there is a big supply of them and that didn't happen over-night. It's no different then a medication that does more harm than good etc. Reality is corporations are driven by greed, it's a sad world we live in