Got the offer letter but now ambivalent ;(

digdug

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 jetta tdi
Seemed pretty quick - I registered on the portal and submitted my items on Dec. 28th. Just got the offer letter today but now I have this feeling that I should keep the car.

I've been looking for replacements since that December day and drove an alltrack, GTI, Subaru Outback 3.6R. The feeling of new car made me register and choose buyback.

Anyone else get that feeling ?

MVJetta

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta
I thought about keeping the Jetta but I came across a really good deal on a one owner infiniti with everything I wanted. It's a used car but it's new to me.

My jetta needed at least 1200 dollars in maintenance to be good to go (DSG, Oil Change, New tires). I'm getting 19k for my old 2012 Jetta and parking the old girl was a no brainer. That 12k in cash extra is a nice chunk of change to keep in the bank.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
Seemed pretty quick - I registered on the portal and submitted my items on Dec. 28th. Just got the offer letter today but now I have this feeling that I should keep the car.
<snip>
Anyone else get that feeling ?
When stuff gets real is when you sometimes find out what you really want.
We have registered our car, but haven't uploaded any document or any of that, because we're going for a turn-in in late 2018. So I can't say how I'll feel after we get an offer letter, but right now exchanging a 5 1/2 year old car with 70-80K on it for a few thousand less than we paid new looks so good to me that I can't really see how I'd change my mind.
I hasten to add that I can imagine that there ARE people who are in situations where they might vacillate, and for very good reason......just not me.

gulfcoastguy

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI sold, Mazda 3 purchased
I have a check engine light on for the intake flap. What comes next? 5500 miles before I drop into the next mileage bracket. If I kept it and continued driving it at a minimum I would need to do the $480 intake flap repair. I seem to be getting those repairs crop up at 6 month intervals or sooner. If I had a second vehicle I would just park this one until VW gets their a$$ in gear on the buyback.

chief poncho

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
I registered on the portal and submitted my items on Dec. 28th.
That makes me even happier to be a repeat VW customer....sarcasm intended. Not your fault obviously, but how the heck is VW providing an offer for a claim filed on December 28th when I have one I'm still waiting on since SEPTEMBER with Docs approved since mid NOVEMBER? This shows how incompetent VW is in handling claims. It should be first in first out, not last in first out. This is my main gripe about the way VW has handled this entire process. No rhyme or reason to the order of processing claims.

jblondin

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen
That makes me even happier to be a repeat VW customer....sarcasm intended. Not your fault obviously, but how the heck is VW providing an offer for a claim filed on December 28th when I have one I'm still waiting on since SEPTEMBER with Docs approved since mid NOVEMBER? This shows how incompetent VW is in handling claims. It should be first in first out, not last in first out. This is my main gripe about the way VW has handled this entire process. No rhyme or reason to the order of processing claims.
ditto

6DOF

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 TDI Jetta 6MT Premium, 2012 TDI Jetta DSG Premium
Don't second guess yourself. Your gut reaction is the correct course of action.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
All because you have the offer in hand doesn't mean you have to do anything with it. You have another year plus to accept their offer and turn the car in.

digdug

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 jetta tdi
I've had my 2013 new since aug 2014 - was one that the dealer didnt move so got a decent deal. I think it was because it was a 6speed manual, it sat.

I'm now at 53k miles and not a single problem with it.

My commute is about 90 miles/round trip - 4x per week so any cars I look at I try to compare the fuel economy to and they dont come close. Thats probably where I'm getting the hesitation in getting rid of it. But all of you that brought up the potential problems makes me think back to Dec 28th when I drove brand new VWs, Subarus, and wanted one

thanks

titleist1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE TDI
Only you can answer most appropriately for you. Just weigh the Want versus Need balanced against an honest assessment of your personal financial situation and it will give you the easy answer. Too many unknowns to get an accurate answer over the interweb from armchair psychologists and financial advisors.

GearHd6

TDI
2014 Jetta Premium 6 Speed
Yeah that's ridiculous. I'm in the same boat basically, submitted documents on 10/31 that didn't even get approved until 1/5. VW obviously doesn't care about me (a 4 time VW owner) so I no longer care about them. I already bought my non VW replacement car.

UNsweet

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 TDI Sportwagon
I weighed everything, and it makes sense for me to sell mine back now.

I"ll be getting something new with a warranty, or a CPO with a good warranty (NOT the VW version of CPO). It won't replace my JSW by a long shot, but hopefully I won't be worried about expensive maintenance/repairs in the coming year.

I'm going to miss it, I love it and the MPG is what I need.... but right now I need a change.

And on the offer, I wondered if it was sorted by lender maybe? Or car type? Who knows.

843tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Audi A3 Premium Plus, 2015 Passat SE Tdi
I weighed everything, and it makes sense for me to sell mine back now.

I"ll be getting something new with a warranty, or a CPO with a good warranty (NOT the VW version of CPO). It won't replace my JSW by a long shot, but hopefully I won't be worried about expensive maintenance/repairs in the coming year.

I'm going to miss it, I love it and the MPG is what I need.... but right now I need a change.

And on the offer, I wondered if it was sorted by lender maybe? Or car type? Who knows.
I can't figure it out either but those who are filing now are getting a quick turn around and our older claims mine included are getting pushed to the side. I had two claims one I filed 10/25 docs green check marked mid November and its been crickets since then. I was going to keep my other car for a little while but it was taking so long I figured I may as well go ahead and file so I filed the second car 12/20 and had an offer in under 20 business days while the old claim still sits in limbo. Both cars have loans.

UNsweet

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 TDI Sportwagon
That is nuts.

I did mine on the 6th, I won't lie - I hope it is sooner than later. Mainly because I have very limited windows when I will have access to a car to shop for another one. I wish I was in the position to buy without the cash....

I would call the legal team - that seems to be working for some to get movement from what I have read.

But all in all, this is going to drive me crazy I think! LOL

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
I've had my 2013 new since.......got a decent deal. I think it was because it was a 6speed manual

I'm now at 53k miles and not a single problem with it.

.......any cars I look at I try to compare the fuel economy to and they dont come close.
2013 JSW TDI 6M also beginning to think about fuel economy buyer's remorse potential.

I'm leaning toward a 6M Alltrack. I know my MPG will take a BIG hit. All we can do - MHO - is suck it up.

Many of us have until late 2018 to lay in the weeds. Regret your 400 miles or so per week doesn't leave you
at lot of wiggle room amigo.................

best,

ez

Last edited:

Dr Chill

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 A8L TDI
It really depends on how much you love your car compared to whatever you'd replace it with. If you don't love your car, then it's completely a business decision.

mejpassat

TDI
2015 Passat TDi (NOS), 2014 passat TDI (Buy back), 2001 Tdi Golf (Gifted to Son)
I am getting ready to submit my documents for a buy back...even at this point, before an offer from VW I am wondering if this is the right thing to do.
I think over all, these cars are reliable. As with any make of car however, there is a chance of a major failure. Expensive, I will give you that, but again true of other makes.
I have discussed the 2014 Passat potential failures with several TDI mechanics and the feeling that I get is that yes, there maybe failures but the numbers are real low...low enough to not worry about them....like most new cars of this modern age, when things go bad, it's expensive if you can't fix it yourself.

Good thing I have until 2018 to make my mind up....

sandmansans

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
Like others have posted before, definitely go with your gut. But I will also add, that basing your decision on upcoming maintenance cost or fear of costly repair, isn't the best criteria to go by.
Any car that you purchase will require maintenance.
And if you're going into a new car, repair costs are pretty costly. This is due to
1. It being a new car
2.newer cars generally having more expensive and complex components. That when they fail, it causes a big dent in the wallet.
I know I am generalizing, especially with point number 2. But I see this rhetoric lately from members turning their car in because of the fear of expensive repair...only to see that they went with a BMW, Mercedes, etc. All with very expensive to r&r components.

Again none of this is said to dissuade anyone, but more so you/we can all make the smartest decision for our own unique situations.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

dbias

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE w sunroof buyback 3/18/17
I got my fix offer on December 21st and changed to buyback and received my buyback offer yesterday. I printed it out tonight and set it on the kitchen counter....I've looked at it a couple times in passing but yes it does feel weird to have the offer now. Not really in the mood to buy another car.

UNsweet

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 TDI Sportwagon
Like others have posted before, definitely go with your gut. But I will also add, that basing your decision on upcoming maintenance cost or fear of costly repair, isn't the best criteria to go by.
Any car that you purchase will require maintenance.
And if you're going into a new car, repair costs are pretty costly. This is due to
1. It being a new car
2.newer cars generally having more expensive and complex components. That when they fail, it causes a big dent in the wallet.
I know I am generalizing, especially with point number 2. But I see this rhetoric lately from members turning their car in because of the fear of expensive repair...only to see that they went with a BMW, Mercedes, etc. All with very expensive to r&r components.

Again none of this is said to dissuade anyone, but more so you/we can all make the smartest decision for our own unique situations.

Well, having a power train warranty vs none helps with the new thing. And for me, the other expensive to maintain euro cars aren't in my budget.

I don't budget shop cars well, and I'm trying to get the most space and best mileage I can in the $7-14k range. Oh it is fun.... NOT.

I shall miss my heated seats dearly, and my 35+mpg town mileage, all while smiling while driving.

sandmansans

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
Well, having a power train warranty vs none helps with the new thing. And for me, the other expensive to maintain euro cars aren't in my budget.

I don't budget shop cars well, and I'm trying to get the most space and best mileage I can in the $7-14k range. Oh it is fun.... NOT.

I shall miss my heated seats dearly, and my 35+mpg town mileage, all while smiling while driving.
What are you looking to jump into?
Me personally I'm going back to a truck. I had a few trucks before and my lifestyle has changed drastically the last year and a half. When I purchased the tdi I was driving anywhere from 230-315 miles a day 5x a week. Now I only drive 140 miles a day.
I still have my $400 dollar tercel that gets low 40s. I plan to drive that 3x during the week and the truck the rest to try and offset the increased fuel consumption. The biggest thing for me is that most fuel efficient cars are extemely uncomfortable to drive for more than 1 hour at a time. The mk6 was the exception. I figure that I might as well go back to a truck not just for the comfort but 4wd and pick up bed that I find myself needing to use often. Anything else that would be comfortable in a car would have 2 major penalties for me
1. Most no 4wd
2. The fuel economy is close enough to a truck in most of those (mid 20s) v.s. high teens. For me it's worth the slight penalty in fe in a truck for the comfort alone, but also too the utilitarian use of it.

I had an mk3 and an mk4.. now as an adult in his 30s, you couldn't pay me enough to use either one as a dd. Comfort is about the same as the tercel for a guy my size. . .aka non existent!

I already know that I'll see a higher maintenance expense with a truck v.s. car. With tires, fluids, plugs etc. But again won't be driving it as much either.

SOCALGAL

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sedan & 2013 Jetta Wagon
For us it was an easy choice. DH and I both drove TDI's and we've known since last July we were opting for the buyback. The money plus restitution was too good not to pass up. DH wanted a truck again and I dearly missed my little Blazer. Mine went back in Dec and DH's TDI goes back this Thurs. No more worrying about how many miles we're driving, what mileage bracket we're in, what if the car gets stolen or totaled, we're over it already, done. We are definitely going to miss the mileage but DH is loving his new Silverado and I am 10 days away from Jeep Life (Wrangler Unlimited).

SkeeterMark

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI 6M
There's no reason to rush, imo. You can drive until the end of 2018 and still sell it back with the lowest depreciation on any car you will find. That gives you time to see if they'll come up with a fix and let you enjoy your car for 2 years.

I just had my timing belt done, put in a new battery, and am putting on a new set of tires. I continue to maintain it and spend money on it EXACTLY as I would have without dieselgate. I bought the car to drive and get good mileage, and that's just what I'm going to do with it. Nothing that has happened affects me personally as far as how I use it, and the buyback in two years or applying the fix and collecting extra $ is a big damn bonus for owning the car for what will be 6 years at that point.

Selling it back early just to have to go get a new, poorer performing vehicle is not really an attractive option to me.

Shuiqlazam

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta - Blue, 2004 Passat - Black, 2010 Touareg Grey
cant' wait

I'm eagerly awaiting numbers - the 2010 touareg has been great since going to staight pipe ;) before that i was spending $1k like every 6mos fixing some adblue related problems. - harness, pump, heater....
Our family has reached a size now where either a larger SUV is needed (wife) or if I win, I will be driving a nice Cummins Truck - ;) it all depends on the cheddar i get in the offer. man I'd love to see a 15k + 9k pain and suffering.... that can get me a nice used 2500 cummins 4dr.
Show me the money I will be first in line to drop this treg off.
keep the post alive!

DSL HED

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta wagon DSG
I'm keeping mine until 2018 as long as nothing major fails. It's the cheapest way to go if you can swing it until 2018, even if diesel is 40 cents more than gas. Should be a lot more choices for hybrids and diesels at that time too.

XtreemLee

TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon Wagon (bought back), 2006 Golf GLI
Same here Nov 14 th approved docs, all I hear is crickets...

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I have a check engine light on for the intake flap. What comes next? 5500 miles before I drop into the next mileage bracket. If I kept it and continued driving it at a minimum I would need to do the $480 intake flap repair. I seem to be getting those repairs crop up at 6 month intervals or sooner. If I had a second vehicle I would just park this one until VW gets their a$$ in gear on the buyback.

P2015? Intake flap fix is only $68

Exhaust flap is different but warrantied.

jjm

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI SE; 2017 Golf TSI Wolfsburg (replaced 2012 Golf Hatch (Bought back by VW)
I'm keeping mine until 2018 as long as nothing major fails. It's the cheapest way to go if you can swing it until 2018, even if diesel is 40 cents more than gas. Should be a lot more choices for hybrids and diesels at that time too.
I sold back one TDI (a 2012) and am signed up for a fix for my 2015 GSW. I am not comfortable with the described Stage 2 fix, so I have delayed getting Stage 1. Have hovered on the fence for awhile; current thinking is to wait until this summer and see what the 2018 offerings are in an EV. The Chevy Bolt may spark (ha!) some boosts in competition. If I can get an EV with a 250mile range for my buyback value (~$29k), that may be the path I take.