got rear ended by DUI

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
Hello folks,

my girlfriend was driving the car and stopped at the red light and got hit on the back, she is fine overall but hurting as her little one (11 years old) is hurting as well.

the car is drivable and all. I dont trust the insurance lately as I saw many TDI cars being totaled often lately over little things. I took her apart on the rear only. I took a ton pictures with measurements.

she has bumper damage, crash support damage and possibly rear end on pass side tweaked a bit.

I would appreciate your inputs,

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
Sorry, hope the drunk was insured and legal but sounds like you have full coverage :sneaky:. Are you familiar with depreciated value? A legal right to claim diminished value, whether totaled or just a hit to the car fax value. We have a really good source for an in depth report covering lost resale value if you're interested. Its a battle with insurance of course but isn't anything with them?
Ca. is introducing a bill to take non dealers ability away to resale a salvage title

Last edited:

turbodieseldyke

Veteran Member
TDI
98 jetta
my girlfriend was driving the car and stopped at the red light and got hit on the back, she is fine overall but hurting as her little one (11 years old) is hurting as well.
:poop: (need a non-smiling version of this emoji)

Ca. is introducing a bill to take non dealers ability away to resale a salvage title
This fits with their scheme to stop selling all cars in 2035.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
Last edited:

MrCypherr

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
I'm really hoping that you took pictures or someone came to look at it before you touched anything. Otherwise, I feel like the insurance company can just wipe their hands clean at this point.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
More than likely totaled in my opinion if it has more than several thousand in damage. They are old and have little resale value unless you find just the right person. I agree with oilhammer above, you should have never touched it till the body shop/insurance company were done with checking it out. Unless you can DIY it is more than likely done for. Scrap or recycler or some salvage rebuilder will have it. Insurance totaled mine for hail damage but I bought it back and kept driving. Yours will need work to get it back on the road safely.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
LOL we have pictures before taking it apart, pictures at the accident and next day and all. now its back together. it looks like it (bumper) hasnt moved. they wont know it.

I am not LETTING them work on it. just let the insurance adjuster look at it, nothing more. cash the check and rebuild it myself, the tweaked side will be left alone.

will add pictures of the accident tomorrow.

Last edited:

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
yep nothing's wrong with the silly speculations. if I was someone else, I would have assumed the same.

I was beyond tired when I posted this with photo album uploads at the same time and editing. (worked 52 hours OT isn't a good combo with this... LOL)

MrCypherr

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
LOL. Well I never know anymore with people so I was hoping that with everything that happened, alot of pictures were taken.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Yessir! Hence what you saw on the photo album, thats a lot. I have pre-accident pictures and at the accident. Will upload it soon, got an fast flat tire leak on the passat, she drove on the road that was littered with mulch debris yesterday thwt are unavoidable as its single lane road……. Ugh. Lol