Got One! I really really Got One!

NBKrissie

Veteran Member
Greetings TDI-ers: I have been lurking whilst awaiting the delivery of our TDI. Very much enjoyed the enthusiasm and expertise I have found in these discussions. Yesterday, we purchased/picked up our pride and joy: 2001 NB GLS TDI w/auto in Techno Blue. Only car I've every owned that even made me think about personalized license plates. Moderate gameplaying at dealership, they made some phony show of disbelief at the price they "gave" us [$18,800]. Claimed they could have held us up for more because "you just can't GET these TDIs." This from the very same VW staff who stated that is was hard to fathom why we wanted a TDI!! Questions: 2001 NB colors---techno blue is not listed in the VW brochure we were given, nor is it shown on edmunds.com. The color I DID request was Bright Blue Pearl, and there's no problem, I LOVE the techno blue. Just wondered if anyone had encountered color ambiguities like this. Also, after reading many of these discussions, I now fear taking my TDI in for it's first scheduled maintenance. Anyone from the Phoenix area have input on dealerships? Or anyone have a way to check out the quality of the service department?

Thanks a lot!

------------------
01 NB GLS TDI Techno-Blau

cowgirl

Congratulations on your NB TDI!! I'm sooooo
jealous. You must post a picture of your
Beetle. Curiosity is killing me of the color
"techno blue". Also what options were you able to get on your NB?

Happy Trails,
---------------
93 Dodge Dually Diesel

TRryn

Veteran Member
Congrats- too much Monday AM haze to do the numbers, but sounds like a decent deal!

Please do post a pic so we can see your awesome new ride!

------------------
TRryn
y2k NB tdi gls 5sp
silver/black
y2k golf gls at
indigo/black

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
Congratulations, NBKrissie.

The Techno Blue is most likely the 'bright blue' that has been in production since the start. The only two other blues are the dark blue, which yours decidedly isn't, and vortex blue (blue on 10 cups of coffee), which is both new to the '01's and probably rare enough that you don't have it. If you do, ya-hoo! Cool color! I like it better than the original bright blue.

For the record, getting an NB-TDI with an automatic truly *IS* a rare vehicle. When you consider the stats on TDI availability (10% in the USA), how many of them are NB's (small percentage compared to the Jetta, especially), and how many of THEM are automatics, you ARE in RARified territory.

Take car of your brand new, special car, and enjoy the hoo-ha out of it!

------------------
BeetleGo, "whoa!"

"You said this was a DIESEL?!"

SteveS

Veteran Member
TDI
00 NB automatic TDI
Congratulations form a fellow NB TDI automatic owner. This purhcase has NOT disappointed us for even one second - plus we have an outstanding dealer who is trustworthy and they do all our maintenance.

NBKrissie

Veteran Member
Hi All:

Well the new Techno Blau TDI has been to work with me, and everytime I came out of my bandroom (I'm a band director) there was an adoring crowd of kids, teachers and parents checking it out from top to bottom! It's been the same effect as a puppy brought to school. Which is fun, but watch those sticky fingers on my paint!!!! It's really fun watching the doubletakes as you drive by bored drivers!! Maybe I'm still in that first blush here, but Phoenix is an incredibly Road Ragish place to drive, and people just seem to mellow out all around me!

Anyway, to answer those questions, the options I got were just the automatic. Wanted a 5 speed, but with the gridlock in the Phoenix area (they close the roads here for a tire blowout), can't handle long extended periods stuck between neutral and first. Dealership was Earnhardt's. Wanted the moonroof, but couldn't get it w/out the leather or leatherette, which I consider undesirable in the heat here.

Now that I know how difficult it can be to get a TDI automatic, I feel lucky to have gotten it in a couple of days---dealer locate. My dad is getting a silver TDI also with automatic but faces a much longer wait.

Looking forward to TDI fest 2001 and a lot of fun here at the TFI forum. I have a photo but no scanner. Will look into borrowing a scanner to post photo of "GrvyTDI".

Cheers---Krissie

BeetleGo

TDI
When I first got mine, I had no idea what 'punch buggy' was about. I started noticing how many kids were punching eachother and just figured it was the escalating violent nature of our society.

What a total shock to discover I was the cause of all this punching! Now I'm totally into it. Let's hear if for sensory feedback!!! hahahaha

Your car sounds totally groovy.
Do you and your Dad have any idea how long you could end up owning these cars?!

My brother drives a gasser. When one of is out of town, the other has TWO NB's at his disposal. NB's are even more fun in packs. I mean, swarms.

------------------
BeetleGo, "whoa!"

NBKrissie

Veteran Member
I love the idea of a swarm of us. Think of the color combos and synchronized moves we can pull that would roll the average SUV!!! The VW fests and the TDI fests must be a real trip, having that many of us on one road.

My dad got his TDI because he thinks it will save his one year old Mercedes from the door dinging ditzy senior citizen drivers here in AZ. But I got news for him, he'll wind up driving the Benzinator down to Safeway because the thought of some old fart laying into the NB will be much less palatable than into the Benz. The joke will be on him!!!!

I'm planning to keep the NB til I'm planted [knock knock]. It is a keeper.

TRryn

Veteran Member
Band Director??!!

Hey, that makes two of us!

Never thought I'd see a colleague on the forum!

BeetleGo

TDI
I've been to a swarm of about a dozen NB's before. You think ONE NB causes people to smile. Wait till you're in a string 'em!

It has a very positive effect.

------------------
BeetleGo, "whoa!"

AndiS

Veteran Member
Congratulations Krissie,

Nice choice of vehicle. I'm surprised that the dealer said that you had to have leather or leatherette to get the sunroof. We had the option to get a '00 NB TDi, Silver, Automatic, Lux Pkg (Sunroof & Alloys) when we were shopping in May. The car was on the lot & we drove it & were quite impressed. Had I not preferred the 5 speed w/leather, we could've saved ourselves a few months' waiting.

Enjoy the car

------------------
Andi

'01 NB GLS TDi, 5 speed, Silver/Grey Leather, Lux Pkg, Lthr Pkg, CD, splashguards, 20% metallic tint, Ston Gard full & light kits

'99 Passat Wagon 1.8T, Colorado Red/Grey Cloth, TipTronic, Lux Pkg, CD, splashguards, 20% metallic tint, Ston Gard full & light kits, Nokia 51/6100 handsfree

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I thought that Techno Blue was another of the limited production colors like Vapor and Reflex. The strange thing is that Vapor and Reflex only come on the two gas engines. Maybe it's a factory screw-up, and you'll have the only diesel VW NB with a limited production color. Talk about being worth a lot of money!

------------------
2000 Yellow New Beetle 1.9T Manual

Der Alte

Veteran Member
The Techno Blue is not a one off thing. It started as limited production but VW decided to keep it as a standard color. Wait until you see the Mojave Beige. Our local dealer has had a Techno Blue TDi with a standard shift on his lot for the last two months. Its a 2001.