Got my NY Plates on the 06 Jetta

xracerbob

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Well I got my NY registration done and now I have one of the few 06 tdi's with NY plates. Bought it from Chris, registered in NJ for a short (very short) time and now have brought it home. The NY dmv didn't ask about mileage or the diesel. I registered it a little early (below 7500 mi) with no problems. It seemed like a lot of bureaucratic gymnastics to get it done, but it's been worth it. 9200 miles already. See you on the Thruway!

st50maint

That makes at least 3 of us with NY State 06 TDIs. My car was totaled in Connecticut last October and I replaced it with a brand new Jetta last December. I purchased it in Delaware and had no problem registering it in NY.

trapperkeeper

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf MK4, Jetta MK5
06 TDIs registered in VT

Well, I'm close to NY and finally have both of my 06 TDIs registered in Vermont. Lots of effort to legally circumvent the ridiculous CARB law about selling new TDIs, but worth it! 06 Golf and 06 Jetta with 13K and 9K on them now respectively.

brucetmoose

Veteran Member
TDI
Used to own a 2002 Jetta TDI - Black/Black
Good to hear people taking advantage of the law on the '06's

Glad to hear about you guys getting on over on NY and other states on the ridiculous carb laws. What's even funnier about George Pataki signing that law back in '02 is that this year NY has been experimenting with ....

(hush hush - bve vwery qwiet)

BIODIESEL - FOR HEAVY TRUCKS NO LESS! :D

The nerve of them! :rolleyes:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I'm picking up my '06 Jetta on Saturday and am tempted to just take the paperwork to the local registry. The worst that can happen is that they say no and I have to do the paperwork again, right? Does NY state have a safety inspection? That's another place where I might get caught, as they check the mileage and the VIN.

brucetmoose

Veteran Member
TDI
Indigo - you don't have to be safety inspected if ..

Indigo - I think ( double check ) that if you have had the car safety inspected within the last 12 months in any state, you don't need the safety inspection until 1 year later - I could be wrong and they could give you 30 days - I remember someone ( wny_pat or buttUglyJeff ) going through this - might want to query the past threads.

Remember, if you have over 7500 miles on the car, IT'S A MOOT POINT as federal law supersedes state law in this matter and they can't refuse to register it because of "carb" as it doesn't apply.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
This car is brand new, picking it up at Langhorne on Saturday. And Massachusetts 'requires' a safety inspectionh with 7 days of registration. I think I will go ahead and register it in New Hampshire (courtesy of a friend) and switch it down here in a year. That way I also save on sales tax by only paying it on a one-year-old vehicle here. NH doesn't have a sales tax, mercifully.

wny_pat

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
NY requires a safety inspection with-in ten days of registering the vehicle. They issue a 10 day temp inspection sticker for your windshield at the time of registeration. The inspection station is required to remove that sticker before he does the safety inspection. If your vehicle fails, you have to leave it there until you can get it fixed or until you get a new 10 day temp inspection sticker from DMV (if they will give it to you).

I do not believe that NYS will honor the out of state inspection unless the vehicle is out of state for a very long period while you own it. A example whould be someone in the military who has vehicle registered in NYS but cannot return to NYS for the safety inspection. I believe that once the vehicle is returned to the state, one has a given number of days to get it inspected.

Last edited:

taktooka'sTDI

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI~DSG
Hi - New to TDI family; just had my '06 Jetta delivered from TX. Didnt have the time/patience/guts to figure out how to register brand new TDI in my name in NY, so found one with ~12k, no hassle in registering it, dealer took care of everything (yes, Texas vw dealer registered the car - came off the truck with NY plates + registration.

CPO, (so extra 2yrs 24k on top of the 4yr/50k factory warranty); Black/Black, Package 1, DSG, Rubber Mats w/Trunk Liner & Splash Guards, paid not far from MSRP (crazy used TDI mkt - very minimal depreciation). Car comes with temporary inspection sticker from DMV - good for 10 days upon car entering NYS.

First week driving it, no issues, everything works, and it still has the new car smell! - I dont know yet what kind of mileage I'll be getting. Looks like car was serviced per vw specifications; previous owner only had it 3.5 months before getting called for Army duty.

Overall, very excited. Havent decided whether I need to use the Stanadyne additive. Found local distributor who sells the Performance "one shots" for ~$3.00 each -- if you buy by the case (24 to a case).
Looking fwd to going from a "newbie" to a "veteran" TDI owner.
Ciao!

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I had an interesting conference call with the very nice title person at Langhorne and my insurance agent today. The net of this was that registering it in MA is not going to happen until it's set up in NH. So there I go.

brucetmoose

Veteran Member
TDI
"Interesting" find at the NY State DMV today in Greece, NY

I went to re-register my car today ( it was due by the end of this month ), and I found out the the dealer had registered it as a GAS :eek: engine model originally. When I went to change it on the form, they told me that I also had to bring the title so they could correct that too. So now I have to go back to the DMV with my title if I want it changed.

Now isn't that interesting. So if someone wanted to be "sneaky" :cool: about it, they could fill out the paperwork and submit it and "claim" it was a gas model and no one would be the wiser - until someone like me checked a diff box. Now since my car is a 2002, no legality issues whatsoever. Immediately they asked how many MPG's I get, and begged for the car when I told them "About 45-50". Fat chance! :p

I can see how this happens at a busy dealer. They sell a LOT of cars, and they have to get titles/registrations for them as they sell them. So someone probably just rolled right through the paperwork, checked the appropriate boxes, and away it went.

Also, the re-up form had been changed. I noticed that a whole bunch of new types of fuel were on there in addition to diesel and gas.

It may very well have been that in 2002, there was no diesel checkbox on the form.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
That 'error' would be brought to a quick halt at state inspection in MA, where they enter the VIN and test gassers for emissions. The testers would see that something's amiss.

Right now my A5 is sitting in my garage with temporary plates, soon to be NH plates. I'll keep it there for 6-12 months and then bring it down here. After all, no sales tax on a new car is nice.

MikeS_18

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, '13 Passat SE, '64 Ford Econoline
So I did my Mass inspection yesterday, 6 months after I bought the car - you mean I was supposed to do it 7 days after? I thought it was 7 months after...

Anyway, here is the exchange:

"New purchase?"
"yes"
"Diesel?"
"Yes"
"Registration and mileage, how many HP at what RPMs"
"86744, 90 at 3750"
"Everything work okay?"
"Yes"
3 minutes to enter the information on the machine.
"Okay, here's your sticker..."

Badda Bing!