Got my Malone Stage 3 done!

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
So I got my Malone Stage 3 + buzzken DPF delete + CR170 turbo + DSG tune installed yesterday. All I can say is WOW. Shifting feels like a brand new transmission. It feels faster than a DSG, and yet it IS a DSG. The Stage 3 was incredible when the shop owner took me for a test drive before surrendering the vehicle back to me.

Several have sent me PMs regarding getting this done. For any of y'all in Texas, I highly recommend Digi Sport Performance in Denton (north of DFW). I originally called another shop in San Antonio (closer to me) and 2 in Houston, and ended up with Digi Sport (which was also recommended by AARodriguez). Brian is also a tdiclub member, and owns TDIs himself, as do most of his techs. He and his staff are definitely those who go above and beyond.

As for why I went with a buzzken and not a rawtek - I have no problem with rawtek. They answered all my emails fairly quickly, as did buzzken. What I wasn't elated about was the $210-ish shipping and the 3-4 week backorder (as of Dec 2015). Buzzken only charged $65 shipping, which sounds far more reasonable for 20-30 pounds coming UPS Standard from Canada, plus I got it shipped the same day I ordered it. Buzzken was also kind enough to help out with a 3" to stock adapter, because of a miscommunication when ordering.

All in all, I'm VERY happy with the work done. As for fuel economy - when you really step on the throttle, fuel economy sucks - <=9mpg. When cruising (depending on climb or descent and presumably temperature), I was getting 30-85mpg. Slower obviously yields more, but I was consistently seeing 40-50 on the drive home (which was about 375 miles). Overall average was 37mpg, factoring in that temperatures are in the low 40s with some light 20mph wind.

Several asked for videos. I'll see what I can post and copy links on this thread in the very near future. For all those who are looking for the tune and realize it's off-road use only, I highly recommend it. You won't regret it.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
Did you have a stage 2 prior or did you go from stock to stage 3?
I went from stock to a Neuspeed P-chip stage 1 about 6 months or so into initial ownership, then went back to the 23O6 (pathetic tune) flash the day before I got the Stage 3. Not sure what Stage 2 is like. The Neuspeed tune was certainly better than straight stock, but NOTHING to compare with the Stage 3. The DSG stock tune also held back the Neuspeed tune a bit.

Fire&TDI

TDI
09 jetta
6 months on Stage 3 now 1week in 3.5?
Who is Running the intake EGR delete pipe?
With or without ASV?
What's the Difference?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Perry01

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf DSG w/tech package
With or without ASV?
What's the Difference?
I'm at stage 2 and installed a race pipe with ASV intact. I noticed better throttle response without the HP EGR. it was quite restrictive and now the motor breathes better.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I'm running stage 3.5 with an asv delete race pipe. It breathes better, frees up room, and I don't ever have to worry about the asv crapping out. Looks pretty good too.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
I'm running stage 3.5 with an asv delete race pipe. It breathes better, frees up room, and I don't ever have to worry about the asv crapping out. Looks pretty good too.
I'm assuming that's what my racepipe is, because the EGR cooler is gone. The engine really pulls and combined with the DSG tune, is VERY responsive when doing hard accelerations.

I'm at stage 2 and installed a race pipe with ASV intact. I noticed better throttle response without the HP EGR. it was quite restrictive and now the motor breathes better.
With or without ASV?
What's the Difference?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Is there a major difference between 3 and 3.5? I thought of getting it done (or possibly in the future with my "free" upgrade for purchasing the CR170 turbo), but I don't feel like adding an EGT gauge now.

gloaming

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf 6MT CR170 (Sold); 2004 R32 (not a TDI)
Probably. You shouldn't ever put a car under heavy load in overdrive with low rpms. It puts unnecessary stress on the transmission. Just downshift and motor on.

gloaming

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf 6MT CR170 (Sold); 2004 R32 (not a TDI)
Is there a major difference between 3 and 3.5? I thought of getting it done (or possibly in the future with my "free" upgrade for purchasing the CR170 turbo), but I don't feel like adding an EGT gauge now.
You could get a PolarFIS. It has a ton of gauge features and it's the closest thing to OEM I've seen for any type of gauge

goodysgotacuda

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 Goft TDI/6spd & Jetta TDI/DSG
Nice! Can I ask what all that work cost you?

Brian [Digi Sport] did my tune as well, but if I keep this car too much longer, I think I'm going to want to up the ante some...

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I think it's safe to say that everyone who goes stage 3 knows what they are getting into.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
Nice! Can I ask what all that work cost you?

Brian [Digi Sport] did my tune as well, but if I keep this car too much longer, I think I'm going to want to up the ante some...
Brian is awesome. Honest and very knowledgeable. The same can be said for his employees.

I actually got a break on the labor due to an error on his website for pricing, but I think he normally charges (or charged) $500 for the labor of doing the DPF delete. I paid an additional $220 for installing the CR170 turbo as well. As for everything else, the turbo was around $1000, buzzken DPF delete and associated gear was around $800-900-ish, and then the tunes. My total bill from DSP was almost $1900. Then there was the overnight stay for my German Shepherd and I at Motel 6 (a really nice one, too).

shane.short

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta Sedan 5spd, 2000 Jetta Sedan 5spd, 2011 JSW DSG(sold back to VW)
You could get a PolarFIS. It has a ton of gauge features and it's the closest thing to OEM I've seen for any type of gauge
Agreed! Installed mine today & It was such a simple install! Literally 15mins and you're MFD has tons of new stuff! :D

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
Agreed! Installed mine today & It was such a simple install! Literally 15mins and you're MFD has tons of new stuff! :D
Including showing EGT? Looked it up and it does seem pretty cool.

Biggu

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW PANA/ NAV
congrats! mine is on its way and will be delivered tomorrow along with a tuner to do a com flash to Malone stage 3.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
congrats! mine is on its way and will be delivered tomorrow along with a tuner to do a com flash to Malone stage 3.
I bet you're excited. It'll be like having a totally different car! Don't forget the DSG tune, unless you have a manual.

raider929

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI
Including showing EGT? Looked it up and it does seem pretty cool.
I have one and it does show EGT. I have a display with requested boost, actual boost, EGT and mph on it. Very handy for seeing if anything is getting out of whack.

You can configure it to display all kinds of different stuff too, I have just the one display set up but there's a lot of options.

goodysgotacuda

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 Goft TDI/6spd & Jetta TDI/DSG
Brian is awesome. Honest and very knowledgeable. The same can be said for his employees.

I actually got a break on the labor due to an error on his website for pricing, but I think he normally charges (or charged) $500 for the labor of doing the DPF delete. I paid an additional $220 for installing the CR170 turbo as well. As for everything else, the turbo was around $1000, buzzken DPF delete and associated gear was around $800-900-ish, and then the tunes. My total bill from DSP was almost $1900. Then there was the overnight stay for my German Shepherd and I at Motel 6 (a really nice one, too).
So you have about $3k into that, about what I was thinking, thanks! I'd love to ride in a stg3 CR before going any further.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
So you have about $3k into that, about what I was thinking, thanks! I'd love to ride in a stg3 CR before going any further.
Well, you live in Denton, so I'd suggest giving Brian at Digi Sport a call. I don't know what stage he has on his daily driver, but he has an ALH. I'm sure he could hook you up with some kind of test drive so you know what you're getting yourself into before you take the plunge.

bobish

TDI
2009 JSW
How long have you had your Stage 3? And out of curiosity, what's your fuel economy look like?

I didn't know we could use profanity in these forums.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=243244
But if you read the above 1854sailor, I guess you'll see that would be a no.

Thank you!
I've had Stage 3 for few months now, but can't really comment much on gas mileage since I had to put my snow tires on when took the car off the lift. That said i will comment on it anywise.

I did do one trip where i normally would get 36MPG and got 38.5mpgs...but i was driving a bit faster until I was stuck in traffic and had studded snow tires on so it's not really fair. This was an uphill trip coming back home to Tahoe. My around town seems to have gone up 3mpgs or from 30mpgs to 33mpgs.

All in all i'm fairly confident it's about a 10% - maybe 15% increase if you can stay of the go pedal. The car drives 10x better, smoother, pulls past 3000rpms so well it feels more like my Subaru and I can forget to shift.

I did the upgrade because the factory turbo gave up at 94k, and it was cheaper to order the stage 3 kit from fixmyvw.com then anything else. The car was running regens ever 100miles or so prior to his so i'm pretty sure the DPF was shot....which would be a result of my wife new commute 2 miles instead of 17miles.

Also my wife loves the upgrade so that helps.

Slothy

TDI
Mk6 Golf TDI
Any DMF shudder around 2000rpm in 6th under heavy load?

I'm looking to go stage 2 and this is the one thing I'm worried about. Was quoted a little under 3k for everything (rawtek, race pipe, and tunes including DSG)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
I've had Stage 3 for few months now, but can't really comment much on gas mileage since I had to put my snow tires on when took the car off the lift. That said i will comment on it anywise.

I did do one trip where i normally would get 36MPG and got 38.5mpgs...but i was driving a bit faster until I was stuck in traffic and had studded snow tires on so it's not really fair. This was an uphill trip coming back home to Tahoe. My around town seems to have gone up 3mpgs or from 30mpgs to 33mpgs.

All in all i'm fairly confident it's about a 10% - maybe 15% increase if you can stay of the go pedal. The car drives 10x better, smoother, pulls past 3000rpms so well it feels more like my Subaru and I can forget to shift.

I did the upgrade because the factory turbo gave up at 94k, and it was cheaper to order the stage 3 kit from fixmyvw.com then anything else. The car was running regens ever 100miles or so prior to his so i'm pretty sure the DPF was shot....which would be a result of my wife new commute 2 miles instead of 17miles.

Also my wife loves the upgrade so that helps.
That must've been a dud turbo. I got mine primarily because the DPF failed for the second time, and I wasn't willing to get crappy gas mileage again, in addition to shelling out $2000+ to only have it fail again in a year and a half with more crappy performance.

I'm looking to go stage 2 and this is the one thing I'm worried about. Was quoted a little under 3k for everything (rawtek, race pipe, and tunes including DSG)

That sounds about right. Not sure what your labor costs are. I think everything for me was $3600, but that was for Stage 3 with the turbo. Apparently, I'm entitled to a free upgrade to 3.5 for purchasing the turbo, if I choose to do so at a later time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk