Got a traffic ticket !

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
cycle as in motor or bi?

..........No matter what happens with this ticket. The man is innocent until PROVEN guilty. So stop with the "I wish he'd stop whining comments". Let him fight the fight and if he wins great. If he doesn't then he can't whine.

Fair enough but if he knows he is guilty, why not man up, pay the fine, learn your lesson, own up to your responsibilities and move on.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
cycle as in motor or bi?

If you are a bicycle rider I hope you're the one that actually obeys the rules of the road... you''d be the only one I've ever seen

If you are a motorcycle rider I hope you're one of the few that doesn't squirt between cars at 120kmph on the highway..
========================================================

Actually I have 3 modes of transportation other than my car. A 21 speed bicycle, an electric bicycle, a 150cc motor scooter as well as a 400 cc Motorbike. YES I OBEY ALL TRAFFIC laws. I come to a FULL stop at a stop sign. I watch traffic lights and when they go amber I do not speed up to go through since amber means STOP, unless you are too close to the intersection and stopping would put you in the wrong position in the intersection. I do not go between lanes at any time anywhere!!! I do NOT blow through stop signs on my bicycle!!!

I also drive my car, the motor scooter and a bicycle in Mexico where you have to watch traffic even harder for several reasons!!!

I am probably the only one left who comes to a full stop at a stop sign, does not do rolling stops anywhere or anytime. I even heard of people saying why stop at a light or stop sign at 4 am since there is no traffic.
Its like everything else, do that for a while and it will become the norm for you at any time.

TDI
"I know that not stopping is really bad. I stop all the time, and so does my buddy. This one instance, he got a bit carried away, and run the stop sign and made a right turn, huge mistake."

Also, that christ guy is right, your friend is lacking the qualities of a man. Enough said. To everyone here who seems to think that traffic tickets are some sham way to get money for the government: unfortunately we live on the planet earth, and on the planet earth there are things called real consequences. This guy could have, like a driver in Mid-Ohio did to my sister, ran a stop sign and hit someone resulting in injury, in much the same way somebody ran a stop sign and hit my sister resulting in her palatalization. So a $100 dollar ticket is society's way of saying, "don't f-ing do it again, you could destroy somebody's life". In cases like this where the person admits to it, stop trying to help them and start telling them to man up.

TDIFred

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Sportwagen, 2009, Graphite
it seems from my rough calculations that the majority of the respondents are in favour of "man up, and pay the fine". after all, you can and will fail your driver's test if you roll through a stop sign. if you hurt someone it is even worse. it seems everyone out there is now trying to get out of taking responsibility for their actions. it has become a national spectacle in both countries (I know Americans troll this forum) on the nightly news of people committing atrocious acts (white collar and blue) and trying to get out of them, and often times winning.
enough is enough. what have you (or your friend) learned if you do not take responsibility for your actions and have X-copper, or whomever, get you off? not a G-D thing. what the hell has this world come to? I hope the Mayans were right, now back to my beer.

bardie

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI DSG and 2004 Jetta Wagon 5sp no mods
Happens all the time here it seems... member writes in asking for advice and or a way to make things easier ... and people get personal.

He isn't less of a man for asking for help in a situation like this. He is sensible in asking a forum of experienced drivers if there is a way to lessen the harsh blow. He asks this BECAUSE he isn't the type to normally run a sign.

I've walked out of a store eating something that I hadn't paid for. I walked back in and paid for it when I realized it. Should I be charged with theft or does the store acknowledge I made an error and cut me some slack? I think they cut me some slack. in most instances the courts cut the fine/charge because the people aren't repeat offenders and they want to speed things up. For the most part people who get caught once learn their lesson. If you have a long rap sheet, they don't cut the fine/charge.. normally at least...

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Happens all the time here it seems... member writes in asking for advice and or a way to make things easier ... and people get personal.

He isn't less of a man for asking for help in a situation like this. He is sensible in asking a forum of experienced drivers if there is a way to lessen the harsh blow. He asks this BECAUSE he isn't the type to normally run a sign.

I've walked out of a store eating something that I hadn't paid for. I walked back in and paid for it when I realized it. Should I be charged with theft or does the store acknowledge I made an error and cut me some slack? I think they cut me some slack. in most instances the courts cut the fine/charge because the people aren't repeat offenders and they want to speed things up. For the most part people who get caught once learn their lesson. If you have a long rap sheet, they don't cut the fine/charge.. normally at least...
But hte difference between walking out of a restaurant by mistake and willingly not stopping at a stop sign are not the same thing. One was done by accident and the wasn't. It's a decision to choose not to stop not a mistake. The mistake part is that he got caught doing it.

Last edited:

TDIFred

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Sportwagen, 2009, Graphite
But hte difference between walking out of a restaurant by mistake and willingly not stopping at a stop sign are not the same thing. One was done by accident and the wasn't. It's a decision to choose not to stop not a mistake. The mistake part is that he got caught doing it.
and there is the rub. he did so knowing it was wrong (we ALL speed right?) and he got caught. anyone on here NEVER speed, never run a red light (and get the 325$ picture in the mail) feel free to chime in if you think you can break the law and then throw yourself at the mercy of the court because you are somehow not guilty. come on folks, if you do the crime you will do the time. first offense? tell it to the judge. you have been judged by your peers. let the courts decide now.

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
I have EARNED every ticket I was EVER issued and several that I didn't get.

Call a lawyer if you like and do whatever you feel is right for you. Posting here really does no good......
I have no problem anyone fighting a traffic ticket, even when (as in this case) he knows he is guilty.

Bill

Slowrvr

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Golf Sportwagon
On a somewhat related note, if a visitor from out of province gets a ticket for parking more than 3 hours, what are the potential repercussions of not paying?

2ManyKMfor1Tank

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
On a somewhat related note, if a visitor from out of province gets a ticket for parking more than 3 hours, what are the potential repercussions of not paying?

LOL man we better start a sticky with how to beat the law!

On another note, I am in agreement with Jetta Pilot. I rarely see people stop for a stop sign anymore. Its called a stop sign for a reason, its not called a slow sign. I have been nailed before, unintentionally speeding, was driving the wife's car, had to stay late at work and was driving a bit pissed off - cop didn't cut me slack but I paid the fine and dealt with the increased rates for the last 2.5 years, it comes off next Feb. I really can't stand texters, I have almost been in headon collisions because someone thinks sending an IM is more important than my life. Unbelievable. I don't think $150 NEARLY covers the irresponsibility/irrationality of using ANY mobile device while driving.
Don't have to look too far to see there is no more common decency on the roads - someone lets me in I still give a wave but I rarely see someone else do it. Such an easy gesture.

ro.sniper

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
This should be fixed by putting round-a-bouts and yield signs. Ontario is a bit of a nanny state. Traffic here sucks not only because of bad drivers, but incredibly poorly placed stop lights (not timed) and an infinity plus one of stop signs...

On the other hand I do not condone running stop signs or disobeying the law... just saying its pretty annoying driving in Toronto.

Slowrvr

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Golf Sportwagon
LOL man we better start a sticky with how to beat the law!
LOL.....yeah but this is for an unposted "secret" parking law. There is no way for someone to know there is a 3 hour limit on Toronto streets.
On another note, I am in agreement with Jetta Pilot. I rarely see people stop for a stop sign anymore. Its called a stop sign for a reason, its not called a slow sign. I have been nailed before, unintentionally speeding, was driving the wife's car, had to stay late at work and was driving a bit pissed off - cop didn't cut me slack but I paid the fine and dealt with the increased rates for the last 2.5 years, it comes off next Feb. I really can't stand texters, I have almost been in headon collisions because someone thinks sending an IM is more important than my life. Unbelievable. I don't think $150 NEARLY covers the irresponsibility/irrationality of using ANY mobile device while driving.
Don't have to look too far to see there is no more common decency on the roads - someone lets me in I still give a wave but I rarely see someone else do it. Such an easy gesture.
Absolutely agree. Drivers here are very selfish and reckless. I watched a guy in a Suburban two days ago drive at a constant speed towards a crosswalk with his horn blaring while the pedestrian ran.
I think another issue is that the city is so multicultural, you have thousands of drivers from all different backgrounds who are used to different rules, different conditions etc.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Different rules are not the problem. The problem is that many never driven untill they arrived in Canada. When all you drove was a donkey or a bicycle and you are 35years old, it is near inpossible to learn and get used to confortably driving a car. Prime example is Brampton. Those who drove in other countries have no problem adapting to the slight changes here.

ro.sniper

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I'd like to create program when we send drivers to Romania/Greece for a week of driving and whoever comes back is allowed to drive in Canada... all kidding aside there are too many people getting their licences most likely in the trash. Driving school should really emphasize rules and stop passing people so easily.