Got a new 2015 TDI SEL Black on Black

pillboxhat

TDI
15' Golf (Formerly owned 240D, 00 Beetle, 06 Jetta
After many enjoyable cars that were diesels I had sworn off TDI's a few years ago when my 2006 jetta tdi died at only 38,000 miles. VW pissed me off and didn't stand by their well documented problems. Well. I've been looking from the sidelines and checking in on the new models and I'm officially back in.

I liked what I was reading about the new 2.0 engine platform and models and decided to jump back in today.

Traded in my 2013 CRV and got a new 2015 SEL.
Paid about a thousand below sticker at Colonial VW Medford, Mass.
They treated me fairly and like a human so I recommend them.
And I think they had two more '15 Golf TDIs on their lot.

I'll post some first impressions and pics tomorrow.

DieselRacer

banned
TDI
BMW Advanced Diesel...2011 BMW 335d
My fav color combo, black on black, it never looks outdated...

Tuco

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta
Congrats! I thought the 2015 Golf TDI's weren't scheduled to arrive for a few more months. Looking forward to the pics.

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
Looking forward to the pics. If anything were to talk me out of my current A4, it may be a new Golf. Black-on-Black is a classic w/attitude.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
After many enjoyable cars that were diesels I had sworn off TDI's a few years ago when my 2006 jetta tdi died at only 38,000 miles. VW pissed me off and didn't stand by their well documented problems. Well. I've been looking from the sidelines and checking in on the new models and I'm officially back in.
I liked what I was reading about the new 2.0 engine platform and models and decided to jump back in today.
Traded in my 2013 CRV and got a new 2015 SEL.
Paid about a thousand below sticker at Colonial VW Medford, Mass.
They treated me fairly and like a human so I recommend them.
And I think they had two more '15 Golf TDIs on their lot.
I'll post some first impressions and pics tomorrow.
Congrats! I think that makes you the first Mk7 owner on TDIClub. :cool:

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6 speed(gone but NEVER forgotten)
where is the REVIEW from one of our own??? C'mon brag a bit

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI Comfortline 6spd
Congrats, same color combo I ordered !!!

Yes pics would be appreciated if you have the car already

pillboxhat

TDI
Not quite sure how to post pics here but I tried flickr method and google.

Last edited:

pillboxhat

TDI
Impressions.
I love it.
Diesels I've owned before:
Mercedes 240, 99 Beetle, 2005.5 Jetta.
Luxury cars I've owned Infiniti and Volvo.
This car is an immediate Wow!
-Appearance on the exterior is fairly conservative and it might actually look "better" in white or silver as it will accentuate the tough lines of the car...But I just really like black. Interior this car seems more like an Audi.
-The piano black makes the whole thing.
-All the materials feels solid and flow. -The interior and driving position is perfect.
-I love the actual knobs instead of just push buttons for the radio.
-I debated on whether I wanted the the SEL and I'm very glad I bought it.
-The ambient lighting was something I would've never ordered a la carte but I really LOVE it.
-The GPS is just OK but I have yet to explore it and read the manual.
-The sunroof is huge but it only feels huge when it's closed...If that makes sense. It seems like it should open just a few inches more...But it doesn't. But it is beautiful and one of the reasons I waited for the 2015 model.
-My daughter (7) has plenty of room in the back. It feels the same as our old CRV or XC60 we had.
-The engine performance is pure joy. My daughter laughed when I gunned it in sport mode.
-She also said the sound felt better than when I took her to see Bruce Springsteen...she meant she could feel the bass:)
-There is very little turbo lag.
-The suspension is noticeably firm. More than I expected. Maybe I've been driving crossovers too long but I definitely feel it. Maybe it's the torsion beam and lack of IRS. It's not that bad though and I probably would not have even commented if I didn't know there was a torsion beam.
-Gas mileage since the dealer fill up according to the computer is 39.9 mpg. I have been driving the sh*t out of it and racing it in sport mode. 50/50 hwy/city. I hope to be up at 50 on my interstate commutes. If I can get my old CRV to give 31 mpg on a hwy trip I'm pretty sure I can get 50 out of this.
-The adblue cap is right near the fuel cap. Didn't know it would be that accessible. Awesome.
-I test drove an Audi A4, A3,Q5, BMW X1, X3, and 328d. I feel like this car can easily stand with any of those in terms of build quality.
-The only thing this lacks is AWD but that's a whole other thread. My opinion about AWD is this: I live in the snowiest city in the lower 48 according to the last winter weather data and the number of times I was actually driving in awful snow while it was snowing was very little. 5-10 times? If that. Maybe 3 of those times I needed AWD. Also. I just returned from a trip to Switzerland. I was in the alps. Everyone had Golfs and Fiats. Hardly any of them were AWD.

Last edited:

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Looks awesome!
Can't wait to pick up mine in 3 weeks but with the right number of pedals ;)

Is this a Comfortline or highline?

pillboxhat

TDI
Not sure about the titles of the line. Sticker said SEL.

RE pedals: Nice:) Was toying with getting a manual as I often miss driving stick. But on the test drive I really enjoyed the DSG and felt like out of all the automatic MT simulations I've driven this felt the most accurate. Paddles are fun and convenient too. MT just doesn't fit my lifestyle at this point and this is my only car. You should at least try the DSG on this model ...Who knows you might like it.

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I did try the dsg in the 1.8T and it was crisp shifting , I just prefer manuals for traction in winter as I commute a lot to/from work and on weekends.

Quick google for US model shows SEL as Highline here in Canada as you have, auto off headlights, rain sensing wiper etc... All the toys , nice car you should really enjoy it

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Re sunroof; if you open the roof to the last position and wait for it to open then rotate the same knob a 1/4 turn cw it should open that last few inches unless they changed it up from the previous model

Korab

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 golf TDI SEL 6MT w/ lighting and driver assistance package
Does it have the driver convenience package or the lighting package?

pillboxhat

TDI
Does not have driver convenience or lighting package.
That would have put the sticker way over 30 which may be OK for some but I kind of had a hang up with that. You start spending that much for a vw hatchback, awesome and worth it as it may be, it kind of defeats my intention of having an affordable and fuel efficient ride.

pillboxhat

TDI
Re sunroof:
I know what you mean and this car does not have type of control. It's a slide switch control. I've messed around with it and looked in the manual and even watched a youtube video. It appears to just be that way.

Korab

Veteran Member
TDI
does the window sticker or door sticker indicate the width and offset of the 18" wheels?

That thing looks sweet - can't wait to get my hands on mine.

Korab

Veteran Member
TDI
Does not have driver convenience or lighting package.
That would have put the sticker way over 30 which may be OK for some but I kind of had a hang up with that. You start spending that much for a vw hatchback, awesome and worth it as it may be, it kind of defeats my intention of having an affordable and fuel efficient ride.
I hear you, but I'm a sucker for options. No AT for me, so that saves me 1100.

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6 speed(gone but NEVER forgotten)
well you made history. first one on TDIclub with a G7. Cool. Looks like a cool ride. I am happy to wait for awhile to see how these cars settle out on the mechanical side. I am sure yours will be great.

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Re sunroof:
I know what you mean and this car does not have type of control. It's a slide switch control. I've messed around with it and looked in the manual and even watched a youtube video. It appears to just be that way.

Good to know but I wasn't fond of the new style sunroof , it looks a little North American hanging outside of the car :(

Question; please tell me they brought back the TC and the ability to turn it of when needed???

TDI THIS

TDI
2012 BGM GOLF TDI 4-Door 6MT
How did you purchase one? They wont be available until March 2015 in the states.

pillboxhat

TDI
THe "TC" is known as the Stability Control or (ESC) and (ASR) Anti Slip control.
It can be shut off manually in the car settings via the touchscreen. There is no designated physical button.

There is both a fuel gauge and a temp gauge

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Lol call it what you want it does the same thing :)
Current car has no option to disable when stuck in snow , ask me how I know ...

Love that cluster look, almost identical to te 2010 wagon I had last year