GoshDarnItAll

rhinorear

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW
6 speed manual here. I hate it that it's like I have to relearn how to drive every summer when starting to moving from a stop because the air conditioner is on and it dies when letting out the clutch. There should be a law that an accessory can't rob the engine of that much horsepower. Where's the Guberment when you need em?

Thanks for listening

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
Ummm... huh??? :confused:
Try driving a car with 52hp and the A/C on. ;)
Ha ha!

Ive got an 83 idi w/air that Ill sell you to train on

Acually there is a few things that will improve clutch operation. Ill try to get back with info if nobody chimes in first.

piotrsko

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf, 2000 F-250 (7.3)
The other possible issue you have is the cpu gives up and shuts down if the rpm goes below 800, easy with the clutch feel removed like it is.

There is a fitting on the clutch master cyl that needs replacing if you want a "normal" clutch feel. Need to search for that here on the site. Could be other mods I don't know about.

Just don't dump the clutch, it isn't like my F250 which will not die off idle.

How about a 36 hp with AC in a type 2?

Last edited:

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
Ha ha!
Ive got an 83 idi w/air that Ill sell you to train on
Acually there is a few things that will improve clutch operation. Ill try to get back with info if nobody chimes in first.
Heres an older thread when I was new to this car. Seems many people have a time adjusting to the dead clutch "feedback".

forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=499919

In case you missed it, heres the fix

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-parts/clutch-pedal-upgrade-kit-6-speed/018733ecs01kt/

Last edited:

rhinorear

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW
Thanks guys. No I don't dump the clutch. It is the lack of fuel given by my foot when I'm trying to start out that's the problem. Winter acceleration vs summer acceleration off the line. Do these cars have a light fly wheel?

Jellow I'll give that a once over, thanks!

piotrsko, that sounds like a possibility. It sure seems like that might be what's happening. When it dies it is always when I first let out the clutch and it catches me by surprise and there is no way I can recover by quickly pushing in the clutch because it's already died.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I have a visual of you guys out stalking MB 240D to race. Who would win?

Funny you mention that, as my brother and I DID race.... me in my '91 Jetta and him in his '75 240D automatic. The Jetta won. But only just. :p

Pretty sure nobody else on the road actually knew we were racing. :D

pdq import repair

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta
The 240D automatic was a slug, however the 240D manual wasn't too bad. Or at least it felt better if nothing else.

I remember a race between a Honda 50 stepthrough and a horse. The Honda lost badly, must not have even has one horsepower I figured.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Coworker had an '83 240D manual. It was not much better, mainly because it was still just 4 speeds, and the clunky side loader shifter meant you really couldn't row the gears any faster than the slushbox could do its thing.