Google Map Showing All TDI Relevant Locations in GTA

Uncas

TDI
2002 Golf GLS
HOWTO Organize Google Map by Changing Placemark Colors and Icons

Toronto_Vento said:
Anyone know if there is a way to organize the content, and change the colours of the markers? Would be nice if there could be one colour for gas stations, one for dealerships, one for shops, one for mechanics, etc.
I just figured out how to change colors and icons for placemarks. Once you're in "edit" mode, first click on the placemark. Once the placemark window expands to show more informaiton on the placemark, you can double click on the placemark icon in top right corner of the window. You should get a menu with lots of different colors and icons. I chose gas station icon for gas station, duh; red pin for dealerships; green pine tree for bio diesel stations; a wrench for mechanic shops.

Also, the "line" tool could be used to sketch in nice roads we could go for a ride on. For example, I included Appleby line in Mississauga as a nice road I recently took.

It looks like we could have fun with this map.

Toronto_Vento

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Baltic Green Bora
Good call, Uncas! That looks a lot better than all those blue pins everywhere. One question: why did someone label a Husky station as a bus? HA HA HA.

Not sure if we want to be adding roads that we like to this, as it might start getting busy. But for now it looks okay.

Uncas

TDI
2002 Golf GLS
Toronto_Vento said:
Good call, Uncas! That looks a lot better than all those blue pins everywhere. One question: why did someone label a Husky station as a bus? HA HA HA.

Not sure if we want to be adding roads that we like to this, as it might start getting busy. But for now it looks okay.
That was me with the bus; they didn't have an icon for a truck so I had to improvise :D. I agree that routes mgith make the map busy...I didn't think of that before.

Uncas

TDI
2002 Golf GLS
UPDATE: Map closed due to vandalism, can edit only by invite!!

Hello, I've notice that some people are putting garbage placemarks into the map, as well as I've noticed that someone (Frank) has moved whole bunch of placemarks around.

I will remove "open to all" option on the map and then just give access to people who want to edit the map. You would have to give me your email address and I will add you to map's collaborators list.

Its a shame that I have to do this but, I dodn't see we have a choice. Obvously, there will always be imature people who will mess with the map if I keep it open as it it currently.

Silver02TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Golf Wagon TDI Highline
I notice there is a Sunoco in the middle of Lake Ontario....

Come on guys, messing around with this is really ridiculous. Wouldn't surprise me if it's people from outside the region... :rolleyes:

Can I ask that anyone that adds a placemark, include the address and contact number of the place? That way if a placemark gets accidentally moved, it can be moved back?

casey_tdi97

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta,97,red
It was handy until some doofus decided to bugger it up. Who is this Frank character anyway? Jeez some people have nothing better to do.

Casey.

blizzak

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI Sport Edition, Grey, 446K KM
Fixed a ton of stuff, couldn't fix a lot of the moved gas stations since there weren't addresses on them. Can anyone tell me what the address was for this one?:
--
VW mechanic

Julius - 416-802-5827
Never had any major work done by him, but he was recommended by some members from Brampton.
--

I think all the rest are correct. If anyone wants to add anything or sees errors, PM me and I will fix it.

Uncas

TDI
2002 Golf GLS
Thanks Blizzak!

Map looks great, I just saw it. Almost everything is back to where it was before. I'll add a few Mississauga locations that are missing.

blizzak said:
Fixed a ton of stuff, couldn't fix a lot of the moved gas stations since there weren't addresses on them. Can anyone tell me what the address was for this one?:
--
VW mechanic

Julius - 416-802-5827
Never had any major work done by him, but he was recommended by some members from Brampton.
--

I think all the rest are correct. If anyone wants to add anything or sees errors, PM me and I will fix it.

blizzak

Veteran Member
TDI
Bradtholomew said:
Julius is at 10 Abacus Rd, just off Queen Street. He's right around the corner from where I work, pretty handy for quick repairs during the day.
Added! Gonna add H2Sport soon too...seems they are kinda inactive on the forums yet have an account. I am getting a VAG-COM and bentley manual from them soon though.

Toronto_Vento

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Baltic Green Bora
Would have liked to have seen the map in disarray. Just for kicks. Good work in getting things back to the way they used to be, though. It's unfortunate how some people decide to be immature and move things around. To what avail?

RichDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Silver Jetta
Silver02TDI said:
Bumparoo! Just reminding people that we have this :)
Bumparoo.... is he/she related to Pokearoo? And if so, is the Bumparoo as elusive as the Pokearoo?:D

...uhh this is going to be a long night. I just started work, and I'm punchie already. Normally this doesn't happen until about 4-5am. I'm WAY ahead a schedule tonight!

TDIFred

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Sportwagen, 2009, Graphite
RichDiesel said:
Bumparoo.... is he/she related to Pokearoo? And if so, is the Bumparoo as elusive as the Pokearoo?:D

...uhh this is going to be a long night. I just started work, and I'm punchie already. Normally this doesn't happen until about 4-5am. I'm WAY ahead a schedule tonight!

go easy with those buttons Rich! you're not Homer Simpson after all!

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
You can remove Cedarbrae VW, they closed their doors forever at the end of September.

blizzak

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta_Pilot said:
You can remove Cedarbrae VW, they closed their doors forever at the end of September.
Done. As before, if anyone wants anything added or changed, PM me or respond to this thread.

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
Could you add my name to the list of collaberators please?

T D I W i n g n u t (a) G m a i l . c o m

Thanks.

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
Silver02TDI said:
Should they PM you, or PM Uncas (original poster)? :confused:
I guess it doesn't really matter. Any of the "collaberators" can edit info. If the info is posted in this thread, the first one to get to it can do it in case the OP is away form the forums for a day or 5, for example.

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
Editing the map & editing the list are 2 different things. Anyone on the list can update the map. Not sure about updating the collaberators list though? Maybe that can only be done by the creator? But in reference to your original question, Blizzak can make changes to the map if needed. It doesn't have to be the creator.

blizzak

Veteran Member
TDI
dr_p said:
what about adding vdub_tech 's shop location (141 oakdale, in the back)
Added - do you think he would mind if his phone number was in there too? I don't have it, but would add if it I did and Brandon didn't mind...Also added locations in Orangeville and Bradford PM'd by damacas

Nigel, I can't add you to the list, I imagine that only Uncas can. But I'll keep this updated as best I can with requests from members. This applies to adding new locations as well as changing information on current placemarks if people think it necessary.

pleopard

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
Silver, what's wrong with Petro Canada? I've run it a bunch of times in my BRM and I get good mileage. Are others opposed to using Petro Canada?