Goodwill Package

troutbum1971

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI sold... 2012 Jetta TDI sold 13 JSW DSG w/ sunroof
Does anyone know if you can activate the card from overseas? I am stationed in Germany and I am going to guess that German VW dealers are not participating dealers. Thanks

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
Call VWOA and see if you can get approval for doing this activation remotely. Get a name of someone who can vouch. Then call a dealer, and fax the documents. And if you have a friend or family member who can provide a picture of the VIN on the windshield and a current odometer reading, that will help. If there is any issue, have the VWOA contact as a back-up.

If you can get them activated remotely, one $500 debit card can be used anywhere, but one $500 debit card is white and labeled for use only at VW dealers. However, it may be that only U.S. VW dealers will be able to use that card.

If you need to blow your dealer card from oversease, try 1stvwparts.com. They are a brick-and-mortar VW dealer (Auburn VW) in WA state that has an internet business. They will probably be able to accept the card. They carry accessories as well as parts. Or call your local dealer if you have someone stateside that can pick stuff up for you.

troutbum1971

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the idea!!

Call VWOA and see if you can get approval for doing this activation remotely. Get a name of someone who can vouch. Then call a dealer, and fax the documents. And if you have a friend or family member who can provide a picture of the VIN on the windshield and a current odometer reading, that will help. If there is any issue, have the VWOA contact as a back-up.

If you can get them activated remotely, one $500 debit card can be used anywhere, but one $500 debit card is white and labeled for use only at VW dealers. However, it may be that only U.S. VW dealers will be able to use that card.

If you need to blow your dealer card from oversease, try 1stvwparts.com. They are a brick-and-mortar VW dealer (Auburn VW) in WA state that has an internet business. They will probably be able to accept the card. They carry accessories as well as parts. Or call your local dealer if you have someone stateside that can pick stuff up for you.

roadlust

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 golf gl reflex silver (sold) 2013 TDI 2 door Golf Blue Graphite Metallic 6MT Premium Package.
One forum member who is currently in Russia was issued a check for $1000 as opposed to the cards. I don't remember the details.

I don't remember his user name fatbob comes to mind but doesn't come up in a forum search.

troutbum1971

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes it is possible to get the check. More intrusive question from VW. But the started working on my "case."

One forum member who is currently in Russia was issued a check for $1000 as opposed to the cards. I don't remember the details.

I don't remember his user name fatbob comes to mind but doesn't come up in a forum search.

SteveW928

TDI
2010 VW Jetta TDI (Platinum Grey Metallic)
Does anyone happen to know the legal implications for accepting the package? I know VW says it doesn't affect any legal case... but VW said the car was 'clean' too. (So, we all know how much to trust them.)

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
Actually, I still think of my car as a 'clean diesel', despite the wordsmithing. ("defeat device") I had a 2000 TDI -- it got great fuel economy and didn't do annoying regens, but did smell like an old school bus. My 2010 has a DPF that truly is 'clean', eliminating soot and smell. And with piezo injection, its emissions are still lower than the old ALH motor overall.

So my 2010 emits more NOx than the EPA would like. Boo-hoo. The EPA ratcheted up diesel emissions requirements too steeply. It was ridiculous. We couldn't even get TDIs in 2007/2008 as VW scrambled. My reaction to the 'scandal'? I snickered. Awesome. Good on ya, VW.

Accepting the goodwill package will not in any way preclude you from joining any litigation. I think this environmental 'outcry' is ridiculous, however. Still clean, still way better than the old ALH and PD motors in terms of emissions. Does it conform to the Greenpeace/Sierra Club definition of 'clean'. No. But they never will. I think increasing cleanliness is good, but mandating it by unrealistic regulations is not the way to do it. You can't regulate technology into existence.