GoodGuys Biodiesel Santa Cruz

Status
Not open for further replies.

krystlelite81

TDIGUY Associate Vendor
TDI
2000 Beetle TDI
Just want to clarify that this article has nothing to do with us. It was the business next door. The police initially thought that we were one unit with the business next door but found out after that we are two separate businesses and two separate units. We had nothing to do with the business next door.

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
Would be nice if news sources would update to clarify, huh? Maybe write a letter to Santa Cruz Sentinal?

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
That sucks, but I'm sure they will offer a one line retraction. Funniest response to the article, "I thought biodiesel didn't smoke."

Hope this all blows over for you soon.

Last edited:

adamis

TDI
None
Are you guys still open? I tried calling and the phone was disconnected. I also went to the website but the site is also down. What is going on?

mjwilson

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE (bought back 11/28/2016)..adieu
Hope you guys are OK. Still need some follow-up work (intake cleaning, brakes, etc.) on my Jetta since you did the excellent TB job last year.

adamis

TDI
None
I stopped by the shop today. Good guys is no more, place is cleaned out. I went and talked with the shop across the street. He basically confirmed the story. One of the mechanics is now working with their shop so if you need help with your car you can take it to him.
I have some pics that I will try to post later when I have my laptop.

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
I stopped by the shop today. Good guys is no more, place is cleaned out. I went and talked with the shop across the street. He basically confirmed the story. One of the mechanics is now working with their shop so if you need help with your car you can take it to him.
I have some pics that I will try to post later when I have my laptop.
Guess we can take em off the trusted mechanics list.....

adamis

TDI
None
It's funny, the guy had a good thing going, a nice clean shop. Good customers. Seems kind of stupid that you would risk a good business and do something dumb like this.

As for Krystal, I would be curious to get her take on it. Judging from what I heard, it seems like she didn't really know what was going on (which would explain her earlier post to this thread). She was always very helpful and friendly, and was very good at responding to phone calls or replying to e-mails. She even delivered my car to my apartment complex instead of me having to drive over the hill to pick it up.

Shaz on the other hand, I was never sure if he was on the up and level with me. On the surface, I thought he was a good guy who loved to work on TDIs. His shop always seemed to be clean and organized which was a plus in my books. He was always very helpful, answered all of my questions and would actually take me out to the shop to show me what he was talking about. I started out with him last year when I had a bunch of work done bag in October of last year. Timing belt, injectors, 11mm fuel pump upgrade, cam, Malone II chip. The prices where always high, but then, what auto mechanics isn't these days?

My problem came with the fuel pump, I thought I was getting a fully rebuilt fuel pump, but as it turns out, I got one that Shaz resealed. About 5 months after all of that work, my brother in law drove the car (who is used to gas, not diesel) and went from first to second and red-lined it. The car died and come to find out, the "rebuilt" fuel pump was dead. I had the car towed from Redding, Ca. to Santa Cruz, Ca. because I thought I had a warranty on the pump. Shaz told me that he wouldn't warranty it because the solenoid went bad and on my invoice they stated that was not warrantied. I had to take his word that he wasn't pulling a fast one on me.

Aaron from Boraparts.com can vouch for all of this because I was talking with him a few times a day trying to see if he had any clues as to what might have happened with the pump. Aaron was a champ, took a lot of time to listen to everything and gave me lots of great advice. Eventually, I was stuck with either paying Shaz for another fuel pump or pay to tow the car somewhere else. I had told Shaz to hold off on doing anything until I figured out what I wanted to do. He called me up one day and said the car was ready to be picked up. I told him I never authorized the work to be done and that started a whole round of haggling on that.

Eventually, I went ahead and paid Shaz for the second pump. Ironically, this pump was also supposedly under warranty because he claimed it was a pump straight from the dealer and carried a 12 month, 36000 mile warranty and covered all of it. I guess with him being gone I won't be able to collect on that warranty either....

From this experience and having to pay for TWO fuel pumps in less then 6 months, I always was a bit skeptical of Shaz from this point forward. Overall though, Shaz actually went out of his way to help me out, he even looked at my car while it was dead in Redding California when he was up there for a car show. Even after haggling over the second fuel pump and the warranty on the first, I still had intentions to continue having my car serviced by him because he was competent and seemed to do the job well. Now, I am moving my business over to Bugformance which is in San Jose. First appointment is for CE for glow plugs that has been on for three years. Now that smog is coming due I actually have to get it fixed now...

As promised, here are the pictures...

Note that the bay door on the right is supposedly where the pot was being grown. Whenever I was there I don't recall the door ever being open. You can also see a ventilation fan that was placed at the top of the building on that side.

Last edited:

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
Post a pic of the pump he put on, and I'll tell you if it's a vw reman unit....

What did he charge on the tweak one?

adamis

TDI
None
I will try to get some pictures tomorrow. He charged me 800 for the one that died, plus labor to install it which I think was around 300 or so. It's hard to say because I had so much work all done at the same time.

OldPoopie, I'm not sure if you remember me, but I am the guy who was at the timing belt GTG in Sacramento around 2008. I had just purchased the car and drove from Las Vegas to Sacramento just for the TB. My car is the one that had the fuel pump that was super loud but refused to die, I went over 60000 miles on the dang thing thinking that eventually it was going to die as loud as it was. I also saw you briefly at the last GTG in the bay area and borrowed your Allen wrench to replace the door lock mechanisms on my car. You were right, the back doors are a pain to replace those suckers on!

adamis

TDI
None
I was able to dig up some videos that Shaz sent me that was supposedly my fuel pump. I think the audio is all jacked up, but you can at least get an idea of what he was looking at. What I haven't explained in all of this is that I was at Maxwell AFB in Alabama at the time for Air Force training. I could only deal with Shaz by phone and e-mail. According him, it was the pump solenoid that went bad and that item was specifically excluded from the "warranty" I supposedly got from him.

At the time I was working this stuff, I was able to get the contact info for the guy who legitimately rebuilds these pumps. I was trying to get him to look at the videos and get his confirmation to Shaz's story, but unfortunately, his office was going through a computer upgrade and he was unable to view the files (the guy was really nice though). Just about the time that he finally got his computer stuff squared away, Shaz called me and told me that he had gone ahead and done all of the work, even though I had never authorized him to do so.

What really upset me though was that back in the beginning when I was going to have the pump replaced the first time, I was going to purchase the pump through Boraparts.com because Shaz price was so expensive. When I told Shaz I was going to go this route, he knocked down his price to match Aarons. Thinking I was going to get the same rebuilt pump with the same warranty I went with Shaz since it was more convenient. I was kicking myself later because after talking through all of this with Aaron and explaining what had happened to my pump, Aaron said he would have warrantied it no problem. What I later determined was that I wasn't getting a factory rebuilt pump but rather a "resealed" pump that Shaz did on his own at his shop. I may not be the only person with one of his resealed units.

Anyway, here are the two videos from Shaz:

Video1
Video2

Last edited:

krystlelite81

TDIGUY Associate Vendor
TDI
2000 Beetle TDI
Like I posted earlier...We, myself and Shaz, were NOT a part of the marijuana bust. We got dragged into the mess because the landlord did not separate the two units in the building with the city and Good Guys was the only business with signage. We were completely separate from the business next store with separate leases and separate entrances. The police and the media completely blasted our business and defamed our name. At this time due the circumstances we have shut down our business we are sorry for the suddeness of it all but it was EXTREMELY devastating to us as well. Thank you to those customers that believed in us and have stood by us! If anyone has any questions feel free to PM me.
Krystle

krystlelite81

TDIGUY Associate Vendor
TDI
2000 Beetle TDI
Like I posted earlier...We, myself and Shaz, were NOT a part of the marijuana bust. We got dragged into the mess because the landlord did not separate the two units in the building with the city and Good Guys was the only business with signage. We were completely separate from the business next store with separate leases and separate entrances. The police and the media completely blasted our business and defamed our name. At this time due the circumstances we have shut down our business we are sorry for the suddeness of it all but it was EXTREMELY devastating to us as well. Thank you to those customers that believed in us and have stood by us! If anyone has any questions feel free to PM me.
Krystle

adamis

TDI
None
Krystle, what I don't understand is if it had nothing to do with you guys, how come you folded up shop so quickly and disappeared? Phone number disconnected, website down, store completely cleaned out. While I can understand and empathize about being falsely connected to something you were not actually part of, I don't understand why you would fold up shop and disappear.

Are you guys going to be going to the September GTG then? Are you going to open back up in Santa Cruz or somewhere else? Heck, is Shaz warranty on my second pump from him still good? How do I contact him if this one blows up on me....

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
Krystle, you might want to give Aaron at boraparts a call. I think he wanted to contact you to settle up on thte parts bill.
Krystle

pain blanc

TDI
97 passat, 01 golf
update the list of trusted mechanics...

Do any of you know someone locally (SLO to Bay Area; I am in Santa Cruz/Monterey) who rivals CoolAirVW for his expertise in the 01m auto transmission?

I'm having the dreaded reverse gear delay that portends expensive things to come.

Any ideas who is willing to work on these? Any positive/helpful feedback is much appreciated.

(I already did fluid/filter job. And yes, I know, I should just swap to a manual. I have leg/foot problems; not an option.)

thanks!
wendell

(I apologize if I am not supposed to post this query here; the rules for posting are complex and daunting to me.)

kiva822

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Wagon
Do any of you know someone locally (SLO to Bay Area; I am in Santa Cruz/Monterey) who rivals CoolAirVW for his expertise in the 01m auto transmission?

I'm having the dreaded reverse gear delay that portends expensive things to come.

Any ideas who is willing to work on these? Any positive/helpful feedback is much appreciated.

(I already did fluid/filter job. And yes, I know, I should just swap to a manual. I have leg/foot problems; not an option.)

thanks!
wendell

(I apologize if I am not supposed to post this query here; the rules for posting are complex and daunting to me.)
A new/properly rebuilt 01m will run you like $4k. If somebody says they can 'rebuild it' for $1200, run away as fast as you can.

It is generally regarded as best to replace your o1m with a 5sp. Contact Matt-98AHU for the install. You will need to put some time into collecting the parts or, if you want, you can probably pay Matt to do it..but it's not hard to collect them yourself. You'll also pick up about 8mpg and have a lot more fun driving it.

If you're interested, ask more questions and we can point you the right direction..

Last edited:

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
It is generally regarded as best to replace your o1m with a 5sp. Contact Matt-98AHU for the install. You will need to put some time into collecting the parts or, if you want, you can probably pay Matt to do it..but it's not hard to collect them yourself.
I second that opinion!

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
You guys are awesome :D

01M problems can sometimes be held off by replacing the valve body. But if there's significant metal found on the pan magnet it's likely too late...

CoolAirVW does remanufacture valve bodies, installs larger valves and I believe increases clamping force?

I have one of his reman'd valve bodies here in Santa Maria, in fact...

First things first, I would check the fluid level... that alone can cause engagement and driving problems.

02AutoWag

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon (5-speed swapped)

thanks!
wendell

I agree with the suggestion to use Matt for labor services. He did an auto-maual swap at my house. Drive up here and have Matt put my old transmission into your car.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=327279

nb2000

TDI
NB
Krystle
I feel it is appropriate to add a few details to this topic, since I ran across this thread from having emailed on a local Craigslist ad for some used parts about an engine mount the seller was selling:
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/pts/2731966335.html
(ad will won't be visible forever so I'll do a screen shot or two)

The ad was replied to with:
Izabel Martin <izabelmartin715@gmail.com>
then
SHAZAD NAWAZ <izabelmartin715@gmail.com>

Stating I could meet him on appointment only at:

"655 e mcglincy Campbell

408-879-9062
Shaz"

Well interestingly the same "seller" (phone number) is selling this:
http://bayarea.daype.com/merchandis...Ballast-and-Bulb-100-campbell-Ad-4405103.html

Also on Yelp "Izabel M" is one of the (filtered) reviewers, needless to say a positive review, and states "she" has a New Beetle, yeah someone's profile says that on here too....

I am just saying!

:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.