Goodbye VW of Auburn, CA (formerly Crossroads VW)

Baumeister

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Beetle Convertible, '03 New Beetle TDI 5sp, '94 Audi Cabriolet(AFN swap in progress)
Got a postcard that they have a name change (don't have it on hand) and "by mutual agreement with VWOA will not be selling any new vehicles at this location". Also that they're retaining parts & service staff and will be selling pre-owned VWs and other European cars.

I had already started using Roseville VW for my immediate parts needs and warranty/recall work, been buying everything else online through our wonderful board vendors here(and, coincidently, Auburn VW in WA).

Last time I was in VW of Auburn 3 of the 4 cars on the lifts were TDIs(and it was late in the day:eek:)

I'm still sorry to see them go, my office is just around the corner from them and I had hoped new ownership would turn things around. But I was done being burned by them when they charged my wife $50 to read a code(glow plug harness) and then wrote her an estimate for $450-600 to fix it(and not refund the $50). It really burns my hide when someone charges to use a diagnostic tool(code reader), that makes their job easier/faster, and then wants to replace the whole works anyway!

I used some contact cleaner on the harness, then some of that electronic gold protectant stuff(can't remember the name). At least 3 years and more than 45k later, it's still good and no glow plug CEL!

So, another parts/service ripoff artist is out of the VWOA network.

Last edited:

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta and 99.5 Golf, 2015 Passat TDI,BMW 2
Baumeister said:
Got a postcard that they have a name change (don't have it on hand) and "by mutual agreement with VWOA will not be selling any new vehicles at this location". Also that they're retaining parts & service staff and will be selling pre-owned VWs and other European cars.

I had already started using Roseville VW for my immediate parts needs and warranty/recall work, been buying everything else online through our wonderful board vendors here(and, coincidently, Auburn VW in WA).

Last time I was in VW of Auburn 3 of the 4 cars on the lifts were TDIs(and it was late in the day:eek:)

I'm still sorry to see them go, my office is just around the corner from them and I had hoped new ownership would turn things around. But I was done being burned by them when they charged my wife $50 to read a code(glow plug harness) and then wrote her an estimate for $450-600 to fix it(and not refund the $50). It really burns my hide when someone charges to use a diagnostic tool(code reader), that makes their job easier/faster, and then wants to replace the whole works anyway!

I used some contact cleaner on the harness, then some of that electronic gold protectant stuff(can't remember the name). At least 3 years and more than 45k later, it's still good and no glow plug CEL!

So, another parts/service ripoff artist is out of the VWOA network.

I would not even buy parts from any VW dealer, that is why you have choices in the forum like TDI parts, World impex, first VW parts, Bora parts, I bet you if you check their prices out, and buy from them you would be saving at least 30 to 40% in parts

Baumeister

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Beetle Convertible, '03 New Beetle TDI 5sp, '94 Audi Cabriolet(AFN swap in progress)
MAXRPM said:
I would not even buy parts from any VW dealer, that is why you have choices in the forum like TDI parts, World impex, first VW parts, Bora parts, I bet you if you check their prices out, and buy from them you would be saving at least 30 to 40% in parts
Let's not put down all the dealers. You mentioned FirstVWparts.com, which happens to be a an actual VW dealership parts department.:) I'm sure there are others out there who don't gouge their customers. The now defunct dealership mentioned above had a habit of charging 10-20% or more ABOVE MSRP for parts.

95% of my parts purchases are from the Internet sources mentioned above. Mostly from BoraParts and FirstVWparts since they're both physically in the West and can get things shipped quickly at minimal cost. UPS Ground(not my first choice) from FirstVWparts usually arrives in N.CA in 2 days, as does BoraParts via FedEx Ground.

Camarones

Veteran Member
TDI
Formerly 2010 Golf TDI 6M 4dr UGM, 2001 Golf TDI
Not all Official VW Dealers are a completely lost cause as a source for parts, but I wouldn't trust them for service. I'm reasonably happy with my local dealer Bob Baker VW/Subaru in Carlsbad, CA. Of course, it probably helps that I've developed a rapport with the parts guy, who happens to own a Golf TDI, and that I buy both VW and Subaru parts there.

Now, given a week's notice 1stvwparts is or parts4vws are still my first choices for non-TDI specific stuff. And of course TDIparts.com rules for the necessities.

William J Toensing

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 TDI Jetta "value edition" 4 door
I live in the Grass Valley area & didn't know that Crossroads VW had bit the dust. The last time I drove down to Sacramento, I saw lots of VWs in front of their store. Crossroads also sells Pontiac, Buick, & GMC. Several dealers in the Sacramento area have gone out of business including Maita Ford of Auburn & Auburn Nissan. Plan another trip "down the hill" on Tues, 10/7, will check this out.

William J Toensing

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 TDI Jetta "value edition" 4 door
Crossroads VW of Auburn is no more

On my trip down the hill today, I checked out Crossroads VW & they are no more. Also stopped at the VW dealer in the Roseville Auto Mall. A salesman there told me they bought out Crossroad's VW inventory. They are currently selling their limited inventory of new TDIs at $4,000 over MSRP & are all sold out. He expects enough new TDIs in Jan.'09 to meet demand without a pack. He also claimed VW is sending 2/3rds of their Mexican TDI production back to Europe as they can make more money there. However, I noticed in this club's TDI's for sale & wanted that a Penn. dealer is selling new '09 TDIs for $500 above dealer cost! Is VW trying to starve Calif. of new TDIs to placate our state's CARB that hates diesels?:(