Goodbye TDI, Good Riddance VW, Hello Toyota Yaris SE

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
In order for fuel costs to break even, for gas at $3.50/gal., diesel would have to be $5/gal.

Normally diesel is ~$0.40/gal more than RUG. Right now I'm enjoying diesel being lower. At the start of winter, it's always higher (~$1 over RUG) for a month or two as refineries make home heating oil for the northeast.

So fuel costs don't seem to be a killer to me.

However, as folks are replacing their DPFs, I've seen costs of $2200 and $2400. That negates 2-3 years' worth of fuel savings.
The 2010 Tdi costs more in fuel to operate than a comparable 2010 Yaris. Check the Edmunds TCO summaries I posted above.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
The 2010 Tdi costs more in fuel to operate than a comparable 2010 Yaris. Check the Edmunds TCO summaries I posted above.
A yaris is a econo box. Just so happens to also be reliable to boot. A golf TDI is in a whole other class of car. It's more of a baby Audi that just so happens to get great mpg.

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
The Hyundai with 100K mile/10 year warranty is a more economical car.
Their Direct Injection Gas engines get good mileage... Accent and Veloster.
the latter comes with 138-hp 1.6L GDI DOHC D-CVVT 4-cylinder engine
or 201-hp turbo engine, Dual Clutch Transmission (DCT) and gets 35 mpg.

VW is the cheaper of the German cars, Audi, BMW, Benz, all very expensive,
to buy and maintain.

Consider yourself lucky you got rid of it before a catastrophic failure.

The CR TDI +2009 pushes the envelope and indeed has some serious
potential for catastrophic failure and collateral damage...

-HPFP failure taking out injectors and pumps
-Turbo failure taking out DPF and possibly EGR and CAT
-Serpentine Belt failure taking out timing belt and whole engine.

Does it happen? Yes. It is enough to be concerned because there is nothing
you really can do about it. There is no warning or no maintenance to prevent it.

Last edited:

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
you really can do about it. There is no warning or no maintenance to prevent it.
I think that we are close to solving the issue. I believe Chevy and ford or dodge use the same hfpf among those trucks. And it's Chevy iirc that has had only a handful of failures if any at all where as the other name plate has quite a few. I believe as much if not more.

My hypothesis is this...
What's different between those trucks?
The only thing I can come up with is either fuel pressure or fuel filtration. The kicker is those pumps are made by Bosch and are pretty similar to our HFPFs. Though the trucks have two cylinders in the pumps where ours has just one.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
Gosh, not another one.... :rolleyes:

These sour grapes threads get old, they really do.
Maybe if you drove a newer car you'd have a different outlook.

These threads are becoming the norm and its sad. Based on other reports, VW is almost dead last in customer service or was it problems per car? Either way, VW better smarten up otherwise they might be another GM/Dodge/Saab/Saturn and others.

I've witnessed dealership service on my customer cars and its staggeringly bad. I am not saying other makes are perfect but it seems VW is the worst so far.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Nah. They (Volkswagen) were recipients of all the same doomsday stuff when I bought my '91, both my '95s, my '98, and my '04. Nothing's changed. All my cars are good, never been back to a dealer. I'm not worried.

I probably wouldn't own a CR TDI without having one of my old ones still available to drive every day, though.

South Coast Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI wagon

These threads are becoming the norm and its sad. Based on other reports, VW is almost dead last in customer service or was it problems per car? Either way, VW better smarten up otherwise they might be another GM/Dodge/Saab/Saturn and others.

I've witnessed dealership service on my customer cars and its staggeringly bad. I am not saying other makes are perfect but it seems VW is the worst so far.
What is your source for the customer service rating? When I look at consumer reports the ratings for car quality is slightly above average.

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Executive
On fuel cost on the diesel, A gas car has to get arounf 32-33 mpg to equal the cost per mile of the 2009 JSW TDI I own. Not particularly hard to do.
Diesel costs around 20% more then RUG if 1 gallon took you 40 miles at $4.00 per gallon then that same 1 gallon of RUG would take you 32 miles.
40 X .8 = 32.
Fairly easy math?

DieselRacer

banned
TDI
BMW Advanced Diesel...2011 BMW 335d
The Hyundai with 100K mile/10 year warranty is a more economical car.
Their Direct Injection Gas engines get good mileage... Accent and Veloster.
the latter comes with 138-hp 1.6L GDI DOHC D-CVVT 4-cylinder engine
or 201-hp turbo engine, Dual Clutch Transmission (DCT) and gets 35 mpg.

VW is the cheaper of the German cars, Audi, BMW, Benz, all very expensive,
to buy and maintain.

Consider yourself lucky you got rid of it before a catastrophic failure.

The CR TDI +2009 pushes the envelope and indeed has some serious
potential for catastrophic failure and collateral damage...

-HPFP failure taking out injectors and pumps
-Turbo failure taking out DPF and possibly EGR and CAT
-Serpentine Belt failure taking out timing belt and whole engine.

Their DI engines are in the shop all day long with CBU, no wonder they give you 100k warranty, and no resale value in the end, NONE...

burrfree

TDI
2014 Jetta TDI V-Pack 6 Spd. Manual
I can understand switching for something else and can certainly understand, but a Yaris??? Seriously?

turboboost1

Veteran Member
TDI
None, Did the buyback
I disagree with this. Consider that VW is probably selling 20x as many TDIs now as in 2000 when ALHs started to arrive in quantity, the number of complaints is not that high. My colleague just bought an '10 JSW with 150K on it. The car looks, sounds, and drives like it has 50K on it, not 150. No major problems we've identified. And the owner traded it for another common rail.

Happy customers tend to be quiet. Unhappy ones make a lot of noise.
I agree.. I have 90,000 miles on mine with absolutely no issues. I've only done required maintance. Oil and fiters. Been a great car. It does get pushed harder occasionally but it seems to like it. I don't think these diesels like to be babied. They like to work.

KonaJack

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 VW Golf
The biggest surprise to me is the choice of the Yaris - as dismal a car as I've ever driven. I could at least understand a Mazda 3, which is far more rewarding to drive and still gives the practicality of a hatch and the lower cost of maintenance that is part and parcel of Japanese cars vs German.

Jake Brake

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS tdi wagon
That's ironic, I got rid of a Toyota Matrix XRS to get my JSW. I didn't like the Toyota clutch and the VW's ride is so much better.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
What is your source for the customer service rating? When I look at consumer reports the ratings for car quality is slightly above average.
A few links in the few HPFP threads.

Tuco

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta
LOL I can still picture Vuckovich on the mound, blowing thick nasty chunks out of one nostril on TV. One of my first memories watching baseball.

DieselRacer

banned
TDI
BMW Advanced Diesel...2011 BMW 335d
You mean I can get one for free? Tell me where? :confused: (around here, they sell like hot cakes used).
If you sell it after 2 years, keep one 10 years and see how much it sells for compared to a TDI of the same age, GIVE ME A BREAK...:confused:

YukonLT

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2010 Golf TDI 6MT
I agree.. I have 90,000 miles on mine with absolutely no issues. I've only done required maintance. Oil and fiters. Been a great car. It does get pushed harder occasionally but it seems to like it. I don't think these diesels like to be babied. They like to work.
I agree completely here, I feel like these motors run best when they are worked. Not saying everyone should beat the snot out of their cars every day, but a good run through the RPM range regularly is good for them in my opinion.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Granted that VWs are not in the same reliability category as Toyotas, I would still take the increase in required maintenance and repairs over driving a rolling penalty box every day.

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6 speed(gone but NEVER forgotten)
Granted that VWs are not in the same reliability category as Toyotas, I would still take the increase in required maintenance and repairs over driving a rolling penalty box every day.
Hence why I bought a 6 speed 14 Mazda 3 hatch....The Yaris is a class under but obviously the OP wanted to trade nearly even money and have a decent little car that was reliable. Nothing wrong with that. I thought his post was honest and forthcoming.To each his own and the fact that he like many of us "still hang around" should not be sour grapes or "sad" as some have said. I hang around other forums because I have an ongoing interest in the product. Are those of us who don't CURRENTLY own a VW after owning 5 in a row suddenly lesser forum members? I think NOT.

Status
Not open for further replies.