Good South ATX fuel stations

bloc

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI
I'm toying with the idea of finding a dedicated source for fuel and sticking with it for the majority of my fills.. where are South Austin people getting their quality fuel? I can't think of any high-turnover stations with diesel..

kzoc

Veteran Member
TDI
97 A3 Jetta 1.9 TDI, and 6 Volvo's!
I try to use the Valero at I35/Slaughter.

I seem to get better mileage using diesel from there vs. the Exxon at Wm. Cannon/Brodie.

bloc

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI
The traffic is horrific over there, but I'll give it a look, thanks.

Open to any other suggestions..

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
It is all required to be TxLED fuel. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Use GasBuddy to find stations with the cheapest price. If you find a station that works for you stick with it.

bloc

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI
TxLED has nothing to do with turnover rate (water) or lubricity, though I appreciate the reminder.

Rxfire

Veteran Member
TDI
2 each 03 5 speed Jetta wagons, 1 NA Isuzu P'up (a keeper)
HEB's or WalMart's (Murphey) fuel islands and add Stanadyne Lubricity formula...the kicker is the "may contain up to 10%" or "up to 5%" biodiesel" stickers on the pumps. No biodiesel in the mix is still "up to XX%", so ya never know if you get any lubricity additions from the biodiesel or not

The best price is another matter. I live near Blanco, which usually has the best price.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Well many on here have posted they have never found water in the fuel. I have been driving TDI's since 2005 and have never found water in my fuel and I pretty much use whatever station is handy if I am not around my usual around home spot. Unless you have some stuck out of the way station that doesn't see much traffic, I doubt turnover is going to be an issue. Diesel with a bio component will easily get the lubricity you want and that is assuming it needs improving at all. I use the Murphy station (new) near my home mostly. It has B5 to B20 and I made the choice to use it and check the oil regularly as is required in Illinois. I have had no issues thus far. You will have to make that decision yourself to exceed B5 or not. I also use 2 of the HEB's here that sell B5 or less when they are cheaper.

bloc

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI
I haven't ever found water in my fuel, but I did just change a fuel filter for a friend and she had about a half teaspoon in the bottom of her early CBEA canister. She lives in Austin and occasionally travels back to Houston. Should have been almost all TxLED over that fuel filter.

I'll look at murphy. Do you know if that B5-20 is just at that particular station or are other locations getting similar stuff? I'm not worried about B>5 in my car (reason in sig).. though I don't want to run B100 for a few reasons.

bloc

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI
I could have phrased that better.. Is that only one location with the b5-20? Or other Murphy locations have the same fuel?