Good morning all i don’t know if any one can help me but I have a 2002 mk4 tdi 1.9 I have changed a few things on the car love her to bits l

Jay Hamilton

TDI
Golf mk4
Lately I have had a water leak which I have changed thermostat expansion bottle fuses but I think it’s water pump I phoned up Volkswagen and they said £520 for water pump and belt I hope it comes with metal water pump and all the pulleys but do I do it then have to get rid in October which is going to hurt me more than walking away from house and 30 year marriage lol any suggestions please?

Poor King

Veteran Member
TDI
'91 Jetta, '91 GTI, '04 Touareg
I'd get something aftermarket for the time being.

Or get a kit like this that comes with everything needed..

Jay Hamilton

TDI
Golf mk4
Thanks after market meaning sorry and for the whole kit water pump and timing belt kit is 400 odd pounds ok looks like I have to do some research confused dot com but thanks so much for replying

Poor King

Veteran Member
TDI
Aftermarket stuff I would say, depending on the maker, is just as good as oem parts from VW, for a car of that age.

What motor do you have? If you are in UK I believe it varies from here and it may not be a 1.9 ALH. So disregard what I posted.

Jay Hamilton

TDI
Golf mk4
how would I find out for sure I do know it’s slightly upgraded so the tech that done the brakes a few months ago .

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Lately I have had a water leak which I have changed thermostat expansion bottle fuses but I think it’s water pump I phoned up Volkswagen and they said £520 for water pump and belt I hope it comes with metal water pump and all the pulleys but do I do it then have to get rid in October which is going to hurt me more than walking away from house and 30 year marriage lol any suggestions please?
If that's the belt, pump and all the pulleys, I'd say that's a pretty decent price. That's just over $700 usd, unless that's parts only, which would be an absolute ripoff.
When was the timing belt and water pump last changed?

Jay Hamilton

TDI
Golf mk4
If that's the belt, pump and all the pulleys, I'd say that's a pretty decent price. That's just over $700 usd, unless that's parts only, which would be an absolute ripoff.
When was the timing belt and water pump last changed?
To be honest I am not quite sure but I do know it’s definitely due as I did see a sticker on the glove compartment when I got about 2 years ago almost

Jay Hamilton

TDI
Golf mk4
I'd get something aftermarket for the time being.

Or get a kit like this that comes with everything needed..

I have checked and engine code is ARL

Mozambiquer

TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
To be honest I am not quite sure but I do know it’s definitely due as I did see a sticker on the glove compartment when I got about 2 years ago almost
I'd do it all then, regardless if the water pump is leaking or not. The PD engine, which I believe is what you have, has a shorter interval than the ve pump engines.

Poor King

Veteran Member
TDI
The price for the oem stuff is way overblown. Gates is just as good if not better. I have done quite a few water pump/timing belt kit replacements in both VW and other manufacturers, and don't waste your money going oem. This is the full kit that you need for ARL/ASZ motors...

Mozambiquer

TDI
The price for the oem stuff is way overblown. Gates is just as good if not better. I have done quite a few water pump/timing belt kit replacements in both VW and other manufacturers, and don't waste your money going oem. This is the full kit that you need for ARL/ASZ motors...

Gates belts are good, but the Gates kits have gmb pulleys, and many people have had issues with them, myself included. I had one on my 1999 jetta alh, and one of the idlers locked up at 40k miles on the kit. It started tearing the belt and thankfully killed the engine before it completely broke and took the head out as well. Since then I make sure to use INA pulleys, and contental,dayco or Gates belt.

Poor King

Veteran Member
TDI
Gates belts are good, but the Gates kits have gmb pulleys, and many people have had issues with them, myself included. I had one on my 1999 jetta alh, and one of the idlers locked up at 40k miles on the kit. It started tearing the belt and thankfully killed the engine before it completely broke and took the head out as well. Since then I make sure to use INA pulleys, and contental,dayco or Gates belt.
I've personally never had a problem with Gates pumps and I have used both continental kits with success too with many miles of non issue. I would take Mozambique's input and go with the continental kit then. Their kit's are even cheaper than the Gates so it's a win.