Good Hotel in Chicago?

velociT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI *sold*
What's a good hotel in Chicago for sightseeing and probably going to the Steve Wilkos stage? :D

Thanks in advance.

TT71

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta DSG
velocit I havent stayed at a downtown chicago hotel in ages. But after doing a little fact finding. The westin chicago river north. It looks like it would set you up nicely. You would be close to the nbc studio for the Steve Wilkos show. You would be near the chicago house of blues for night life/ live bands. If I recall correctly you wouldnt be too far away from the hard rock cafe.
My caveat is that a hotel in that area will be quite expensive. You wont be too far from the michigan ave. shopping area a woman with a open credit card can have a field day down there.
If you do decide to stay in that area you will not be bored there will be alot to do.
I was born and raised in Chicago. So I know the area in general terms. It was too touristy for my tastes when I lived there. Any questions feel free.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
The Fairmount is really nice. get a room up high. Great views. about $140

The house Of Blues has cool rooms too. Should be around $140

Both can be had cheaper if you shop around. remember the auto show and the motorcycle show are going on around the 7th of Feb. Lots of other stuff in that time frame too.

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 GOLF 2DR, ‘15 Passat SEL TDI
stayed at the allerton hotel a couple of weeks ago, on the Magnificent Mile (michigan ave.) Old hotel with small rooms, but comparatively inexpensive for the location. The people there were polite and accomodating, service was great. Parking was Valet ONLY ($51/ night). I'd recommend it if you are like me and only use a room to sleep and shower. If you plan on spending much time there, a more modern place with bigger rooms might be better for you.

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Passat Variant, Still miss the 03JW
My favorite is Homewood Suites. I have gotten the best rate w/24hr cancellation by calling the hotel direct. Address is 40E Grand. The rooms are large with kitchenette and they serve hot breakfast and a simple evening meal with beer or wine during the week. The free breakfast in particular is a great time saver starting out the day. I fly to Chicago every Feb for a conference- fly into Midway(Southwest), take the train(orange line to Roosevelt), switch trains(red line), get off at Grand and it's just a 3 block walk to the hotel.
312-644-2222 Homewood Chicago

Last edited:

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
I'm a fan of the "Hotel for Men Only - Transients Welcome" at 22 W. Van Buren St. of Elwood Blues fame. The trains run so often, you'll never notice!

Stinkyfingers

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Variant, '03, Made in Germany, silber, 486,000+ miles and still singing!
The "Inn at Chicago" is a renovated hotel from the 1920's, right off Michigan Ave. I stayed there right before Chirstmas, for the first time, choosing it based solely on price. It was terrific. Location was perfect for showing out-of-town relatives the Big City.

For something a bit funkier, one of my favorites is "The Old Chicago Inn", a B&B in the area around Wrigley Field. Also well-priced.

The big problem in Chicago is what to do with your car if you stay down town. Parking is exorbitant. I occassionally leave my car in a "park-n-ride" lot in a suburb and ride the excellent public transit trains into the loop. If you go to a Jewell super market, you can buy multi-day all-you-can-eat ride pass that is a bargain. Good on all the buses, subways and elevated trains.

-JohnD

cptmox

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Jetta GLS, Silver 5-spd
scurvy said:
I'm a fan of the "Hotel for Men Only - Transients Welcome" at 22 W. Van Buren St. of Elwood Blues fame. The trains run so often, you'll never notice!
"Did you get me my Cheeze Whiz, boy?" :)

TDI
2004 golf
Cheap, and very nice, get a room at "club quarters" on a site like priceline. Its a membership type private hotel, but you can buy rooms online.

I got a room for ike 89 dollars, with a river view! Its right on wacker close to michigan ave, right next to hotel 71. Awesome views and very cheap for the excellent location.

Ive stayed in some hoaky hotels in the old town area and what not, for much much more.

lglamb

Veteran Member
fwiw, I use http://biddingfortravel.yuku.com/ to get an idea of what
people are getting on Priceline, and for how much. People post their
winning bids, some good info.

One thing, if you do use it, don't ask for help unless you do their
relatively extensive format. The site owner can seem a little tart
at times. Just browse what city or area you're interested in and
see what peope are getting rooms for.

The economy has prices down a bit, even in Chicago. Parking can
be an issue. I usually stay around Ohare or Oak Brook and drive in
or take the train/subway.