Good EGT values

bluecollarpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
Bora, 2001, Silver
What is a reasonable EGT value for RC4 with pp502 and VNT17 with an FMIC going approximately 70 mph.

Anyone?

KROUT

persona non grata
Mine used to read around 600 cruising and I had almost the exact set up you listed. A little more when off of flat land. But its all flat where I am.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
I typically see 600*F to 650*F with my setup.

With stock exhaust, you'd normally have 100*F for every 10 MPH at highway speeds in 5th, flat, little wind. 70 MPH = 700*F, 80 MPH = 800*F etc. With the opened up exhaust, it drops quite a bit. Those with bigger turbos could see an additional drop too.

Deevo_3000

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS
Bob_Fout said:
I typically see 600*F to 650*F with my setup.

With stock exhaust, you'd normally have 100*F for every 10 MPH at highway speeds in 5th, flat, little wind. 70 MPH = 700*F, 80 MPH = 800*F etc. With the opened up exhaust, it drops quite a bit. Those with bigger turbos could see an additional drop too.
I think this is about i right, from 50-90 mph anyways. A/C raises mine at least 50° when its hot out. Ambient temp. will make a difference as well, moreso if you have a stock intercooler. FMIC probably not so much.

What level of boost do you see at 70mph with your setup?

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
Deevo_3000 said:
I think this is about i right, from 50-90 mph anyways. A/C raises mine at least 50° when its hot out. Ambient temp. will make a difference as well, moreso if you have a stock intercooler. FMIC probably not so much.

What level of boost do you see at 70mph with your setup?
Not sure really, I'll look tomorrow when I'm on my road trip. I'm thinking just a few PSI, 1 to 4?

Deevo_3000

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS
Bob_Fout said:
Not sure really, I'll look tomorrow when I'm on my road trip. I'm thinking just a few PSI, 1 to 4?
I usually see about 6psi at 70mph on flat, its all in the tuning i guess.

EddyKilowatt

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GL 5M
Deevo_3000 said:
I usually see about 6psi at 70mph on flat, its all in the tuning i guess.
I think the IQ setting plays a role too. For any given fuel demand, ECU "wants" to blow a certain amount of air thru there to keep the burn clean (and efficient). I believe ECU adjusts the boost level (air quantity) based on how much fuel the IP tells it is being injected... at least in situations like cruise where there's excess boost available. (Adjusting the air/fuel ratio affects EGT also.)

Still sorting this all out myself, tho. With stock injectors I had 650F and 3-4 psi at 70 mph; with PP520s and no IQ tweak that changed to 800F and 1-2 psi. After first IQ adjustment, I'm at 700F and 2-3 psi, and I'm planning further IQ increases which I expect to bring that EGT down further.

Eddy

Deevo_3000

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS
EddyKilowatt said:
I think the IQ setting plays a role too. For any given fuel demand, ECU "wants" to blow a certain amount of air thru there to keep the burn clean (and efficient). I believe ECU adjusts the boost level (air quantity) based on how much fuel the IP tells it is being injected... at least in situations like cruise where there's excess boost available. (Adjusting the air/fuel ratio affects EGT also.)

Still sorting this all out myself, tho. With stock injectors I had 650F and 3-4 psi at 70 mph; with PP520s and no IQ tweak that changed to 800F and 1-2 psi. After first IQ adjustment, I'm at 700F and 2-3 psi, and I'm planning further IQ increases which I expect to bring that EGT down further.

Eddy

If you changed to PP520 nozzles, the ECU has no idea its injecting more fuel, as far as its concerned you still have stock nozzles in. So since you dropped down to 1-2 psi, with the PP520's in, the engine must be requiring less air to make the same power since there is more fuel being injected; in return EGT's are obviously higher because of the lack of air. If you raise your IQ, or lower the amount of fuel being injected, your engine needs to make more boost to make the same power, and as your boost is raised your EGT's come down. The former of the two scenarios being the more powerful, and the latter being more fuel efficient.

Last edited:

EddyKilowatt

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GL 5M
Deevo_3000 said:
If you changed to PP520 nozzles, the ECU has no idea its injecting more fuel, as far as its concerned you still have stock nozzles in.
Exactly. In fact it thinks it is injecting less, since it doesn't have to move the control collar in the IP as far to achieve the same power output (same 70 mph highway cruise speed). (Or in other words the bigger injectors are flowing the same fuel with less control collar movement.) So the ECU calls for less air (boost) to go with what it thinks is less fuel.

Eddy

Last edited:

TDikook

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'06 Golf Anthracite Blue
HOLY COW!!!! you see that little boost when cruising?? I see 11-14psi(as per scangauge) cuising with the CC on going 70-75. so yeah, I guess it IS all in the tune.

F1 tuning

Vendor
TDI
Varios TDI
pressure

TDikook said:
HOLY COW!!!! you see that little boost when cruising?? I see 11-14psi(as per scangauge) cuising with the CC on going 70-75. so yeah, I guess it IS all in the tune.
and all this is normal pressure....
new 2009 TDI is even higer.... totally normal

dabear95

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS, Silver
Wow, does he have enough links in that sig?:rolleyes: Edit - fixed now!

I see 550-700F cruising at 70-75MPH with 2-4 lbs of boost.

Jason

Last edited:

EddyKilowatt

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GL 5M
TDikook said:
That's higher than most folks have reported. What does your Scangauge say the Load ("LOD") is while you're cruising and seeing 11-14 psi? And what are you using for your atmospheric correction to the Scangauge MAP reading?

Eddy

TDikook

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'06 Golf Anthracite Blue
I dont know. I havent really looked at it. I guess I have some looking to do, and by what do you mean by atmospheric correction?

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
I drove 70 MPH from TN to IN today.

Boost was 3 to 5 PSI when there was little to no wind and no discernible road grade. IAT ranged from 100*F to 110*F and EGT was around 600*F to 650*F during steady state and the previous conditions.

/EDIT: I just ordered a Tyrolsport SMIC. We'll see how that impacts IAT and EGT (if any), and performance/smoke.

Last edited:

dieselpower04

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf GLS TDI (sold)
TDikook said:
It's that damn KP-39...my new VNT-17/22 does 3-4 psi at cruise...:D

joevat

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI PD
TDikook said:
dieselpower04 said:
It's that damn KP-39...my new VNT-17/22 does 3-4 psi at cruise...:D

after some tests with turbo's and actuators, Kerma has concluded, also have I, its not the KKK kp-39 turbo's, its the kkk actuators....they tend to act funny when they get hot(overboosting/underboosting/too much boost while under very light load)....my stock kp turbo and 1st vnt turbo had the kkk actuators and both acted the same. Kerma then moved to the Garrett actuators and boost is more easily controlled. definitely the KKK actuators are the culprit.