Good East Bay TDI Mechanics?

juniormarbles

My TDI is overheating right now in the Bay Area and I want to know where to tow the car.
Any East Bay recommendations?

Louie710

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta sedan 2002 Jetta wagon
There's a guy named Matt and the shop i think its called diesel autoworks? Hes in San Anselmo i think thats the only "guru" in Northern cali. If you have trouble getting a hold of him, is too busy, or is out of your price range i may be able to help but im all the way out in Yuba City

dlai

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat, Stonehenge Gray, 2002 Black Golf 5M

juniormarbles

Thanks, I am familair with his great reputation. The problem: San Anselmo (Marin County) is too far away from Concord, and that makes towing and logistics of getting and staying around there hard. Anyone in the EAST Bay come to mind?

dlai

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat, Stonehenge Gray, 2002 Black Golf 5M
Maybe you can make arrangements with Matt, get the tow truck to drop the car off to him, and when your car is ready whenever, take a rideshare service to San Anselmo to pick it up?

B100

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf
Matt's move to Oregon is good for him, but our local loss. Where else have people taken their TDIs for work? In Berkeley, I see that Karmakanix has merged with H&B, still down on 4th street, but further south at Bancroft. Anyone been there? It's definitely not a one-man shop, and I recall communication was filtered through a service manager. But what we need are competent mechanics who have breadth of knowledge about our cars.

LiquidBlackDZL

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf
I was just about to reach out to Matt when I saw his goodbye message.

I’m in need of a premature timing belt job. Coolant started leaking out from underneath the timing belt cover so I think the water pump has failed. Anyone have first hand TDI t-belt experience with a mechanic that they can recommend in the Bay Area?

Rapid Transit

Veteran Member
TDI
03 4dr Golf GLS
He did my buddies timing belt and it turned out good. Unfortunately he told me he was giving up the lease and retiring from auto mechanics.

LiquidBlackDZL

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf
Just spitballing here, but what about the gentleman Matt was renting a bay from in Marin, Auto Haus II?
Thanks, but per my post “I was just about to reach out to Matt when I saw his goodbye message.”

He posted a goodbye message and his lease ends next week. He spent the last few weeks packing up.

Rapid Transit

Veteran Member
TDI
03 4dr Golf GLS
Per my post, the gentlemen that Matt was renting from also worked on TDI’s, did my buddies two months ago but is letting his lease go and retiring from auto mechanics.

Rapid Transit

Veteran Member
TDI
03 4dr Golf GLS
Sonoma Autowerks LLC in Petaluma is worth a look. Been a while since I used them but would again now that our Guru has escaped.

torman

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk4 Golf, Jetta Wagon and Beetle TDI
Hate to say it, but Sonoma AW is iffy now .... had a couple of issues this year and decided to go elsewhere (including a botched timing belt job).

freebuilder

TDI
'03 Golf
I had Sonoma AutoWerks do a few things for me through the years. They were always done correctly, and very expensive, possibly Overdone.
With Mr Phelans departure I'm also wondering where in the north bay I can bring my ALH. Suggestions anybody? Tillmans in Santa Rosa is out-
I've had a few conversations with them, and I don't do business with rude people.

PS: Matt did a timing belt for me and upgraded to an 11mm pump and a Melone stage 3 timing (same thing he had on his car), no change on injectors. Wonderful increase in power, and car is now happier at higher RPM levels. No Smoke.