Golf VII Wagon (Variant) Photo's Released

Brimacfly

TDI
'13 Golf Wagon tdi, 6spd
Do you think that these will be available in the late fall of '13? Or will we have to wait well into '14 to get access to them?

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
VW has announced a fall 2013 launch of the Mk7 Golf, but no word on the other variants. The almighty Wikipedia says:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Golf_Mk7
Variants to be introduced later include a three-door hatchback, a five-door Golf Plus hatchback, a five-door estate, a five-door Golf CC liftback, a two-door cabriolet, and high-performance Golf GTI and Golf R models.
'Later' is all we got to go on. :)

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Some of us found it interesting that there were no Golfs at all at the Detroit Auto Show. No MKVII, no MKVIs either. I've read that the Golf won't be here until MY2015, which would mean it might be launched as soon as early 2014.

I think the new and old Sportwagens look remarkably similar, enough that I would have a hard time telling one from the other unless they were side-by-side.

Rubiconws6

TDI
2014 Alltrack (hopefully)
I have been debating between a 13 JSW or wait for the MKVII models, and after looking at those pictures I'm going to wait.

nikhsub1

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf R
Do you think that these will be available in the late fall of '13? Or will we have to wait well into '14 to get access to them?
The Golfs won't be here until 1st/2nd/3rd quarter of 2014 - the wagon is likely to be a year behind that. 2015 at earliest is my best educated guess for the wagon.

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
I have been debating between a 13 JSW or wait for the MKVII models, and after looking at those pictures I'm going to wait.
Pictures aside, you'd be better off waiting for the next version because the current JSW is on an old platform. The current JSW a Mk5 in its structure, which goes back to 2007-ish, the same structure as the old Mk5 Jetta and Rabbit. The 2009 JSW's were completely Mk5, and then got a quick refresh in 2010 for looks -- a new front clip (headlights/grille/bumper/fenders/hood), new instrument panel, floor console, and door trim. But structurally, the car is Mk5. The recent Golfs have been Mk6. The new Golfs and wagons will be Mk7. So they will be more advanced.....hopefully. Better crumple zones, airbags, better fuel economy (hopefully, due to the 200-pound weight loss),.....and I'd like to hope that they would be quieter, but we'll have to see. With that much weight loss, I hope VW doesn't remove it from sound-deadening materials.

schultp

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen, 6sp manual
I would defer assuming the "better crumple zones" and instead wait for the actual Insurance Institute crash test ratings. Some platform upgrades are known to go backwards in terms of safety and driving features (case in point, the dumbing down of the current Jetta suspension in the US).

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
Progress.

I'm just sayin' that there will most likely be a lot better in a Mk7 than a Mk5. A decade is a lot, engineering-wise. That's 2 vehicle design cycles. No, not everything will necessarily improve. But in general they will. Most likely the crumple zones will improve.

Remember that the Golf is built in Germany, it's a hugely popular car in the rest of the world that VW will not want to screw up, and the Mk6 Golf was world compact car of the year. The Jetta we have here is a dumbed-down North-America model only, and is an exception. Let's not make rules based on exceptions. And let's not make apples-to-oranges comparisons of crumple zones to suspensions.

tariq

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 TDI Sportwagen
Hmm, not bad but not quite as unique, nor as consistent in design, as the current model imo. Overall, it looks like a Honda Civic (hood) ran into a classic BMW wagon (side/ rear quarter). This sort of hodge podge design aesthetic gives it sort of a lower end look as well - to my eyes at least.

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
Hmm, not bad but not quite as unique, nor as consistent in design, as the current model imo. Overall, it looks like a Honda Civic (hood) ran into a classic BMW wagon (side/ rear quarter). This sort of hodge podge design aesthetic gives it sort of a lower end look as well - to my eyes at least.
I, too, see 'BMW' and 'Acura' in those creases.

I really like it. I think it looks much nicer than my current JSW. The current JSW is a little 'soft' with regards to styling. This new Mk7 looks much classier and much more like an Audi A3 wagon.

I'll be trading up when these things are released. :)

A note regarding the pictures. Those first pics are usually Euro-spec. I wouldn't expect to see the aluminum roof rails on ours. Maybe we'll be pleasantly surprised, though....

vw_leadfoot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI Wagen
I would trade up provided a 4-Motion is available...I just can't get around in a FWD in the snow like an AWD can...also VW if you're reading I want HIDs as an option...

A TDI, 4-Motion wagen, Xenon's, NAV would also be nice...get me this or an Alltrack...soon! Unbelieveable to me that this vehicle isn't available in North America... I commute 160km a day, haul 3 dogs daily, and live in Canada...I can't be the only one...

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
I would trade up provided a 4-Motion is available...I just can't get around in a FWD in the snow like an AWD can...also VW if you're reading I want HIDs as an option...

A TDI, 4-Motion wagen, Xenon's, NAV would also be nice...get me this or an Alltrack...soon! Unbelieveable to me that this vehicle isn't available in North America... I commute 160km a day, haul 3 dogs daily, and live in Canada...I can't be the only one...
I commute 200 km each day in Quebec including Quebec winters.

I see no need for the added cost, complexity, fuel consumption and maintenance costs of an Alltrack. In retrospect I think I even overspent on a Highline for my 2011 Golf. We didn't repeat that mistake on the 2013, a comfortline with connectivity. It's all I need.

I've never failed to get to work, down my dirt road, or up my sloping long rural driveway with FWD, traction control and stability control AND 4 good snow tires.

I have no problems with an Alltrack being offered, as long as it isn't at the expense of those wanting something simpler and cheaper.

vw_leadfoot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI Wagen
Well I do have good snow tires and all that you mention and I have been stuck twice on back roads with the dogs and twice in my own driveway this winter. The past two winters before this, no issues. I just don't trust it off of the highway in snow or in parking lots where I take my dogs. I now use our XC70 in deep snow and when it's icy and have no issues whatsoever. My Passat 4-Motion was far better than this thing is in ice and snow. You may not have issues in Quebec with your driveway and commute but I do living where I live...4 wheels with power and traction makes more sense than two in our climates. Period.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
You may not be the only one, but you are one of only few. ;)

With all of those goodies, you're pushing the price out of the range of Golf-wagon-buyer territory. Every car review out there will say, "the price is already elevated with the diesel, and quickly gets out of hand as options are added." And people will buy XC70's instead. :)

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
You may not be the only one, but you are one of only few. ;)

With all of those goodies, you're pushing the price out of the range of Golf-wagon-buyer territory. Every car review out there will say, "the price is already elevated with the diesel, and quickly gets out of hand as options are added." And people will buy XC70's instead. :)
I agree. I don't mind if they offer it, as long as they have a more basic version (my wife's new 2013 is about perfect in that respect). But if they go the Alltrack route, I'm not optimistic. For instance you can't get an Audi A4 wagon now, just the Allroad. That sucks.

vw_leadfoot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI Wagen
Still want a diesel though...the XC70 and the allroad still aren't in TDI form in Canada...guess I may get a Touareg...just need to win the lotto first LOL

Darth_Furious

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW, DSG
Looks like there are some new LED DRLs, similar to what's expected from the leaked mk7 golf pictures. I'm guessing they are the same headlights as the golf. I like the light bar look that the Audis have rather than the christmas light leds of the current LED DRLs

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I gotta say I don't love it. The headlights to me don't look like they fit the rest of the car, and the rear looks boxy like the current Impreza hatch. More generic than previous generations, but that seems to be VW's styling trend.

53 willys

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Sportwagen TDI~LOVE/HATE~
I like it the more I see it....put some sport springs on that and a votex body kit and it would look amazing....

austinlatdi

TDI
'12 4-dr man GOLF TDI - Graphite Blue / '11 JSW DSG loaded - Candy White
The MK7 is awesome. I don't know what the "looks the same" comments are all about. Yeah, it's a 5-door wagon. If this was the new Audi A4 of yesteryear I think the same percentage of people would say "Looks the same" lol

I haven't been keeping up on the latest, but I've been assuming from what I have read here and there that with the MBQ platform it weighs 200-250lbs less, that the TDI motor of tomorrow puts out considerably more power (15-30+ hp), equally more torque, and has better mpg with the lower weight. Not to mention the cabin improvements and updated body shape that are sure to make the overall appeal of the car substantially greater than the MK6.

And that side by side on page 1 of this thread, where the guy says his MK6 looks just like the MK7, is like someone with an MK4 golf saying their car looks just like the MK6 golf. The similarities are to be expected, but the changes are drastic in my eyes.

jet_a

TDI
2015 Passat
So far the MK7 looks promising. I couldn't warm up to the jelly bean JSW.
Although I hadn't thought of the current JSW as a jelly bean, the one in the comparison pics above with the tall tire sidewalls and soft hubcaps sure do look like one, especially next to the "sharp looking" MK7.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
Until I dug up the old wheel covers from my previous B6 from the back of the garage, my winter steelies looked like this:

My Golf hatch also has winter steelies but with Mk V Rabbit wheel covers:

Back on topic, I wonder if the Mk VII will be cheapened like the current Jetta. For example looking at the door hinge hardware on the Mk VI Golf compared to the Jetta, or even the new N. American "Passat" is night and day. The Mk VI Golf looks like the hinges are built for a nuclear war, on the Jetta and Passat, they're flimsy like on an Asian car.

I'm also concerned that the N. American base versions will, like the Beetle and Jetta, resort to a non-independant rear suspension.

I guess we'll see in 2014.