Golf VI 2.5 maintenance findings: gunk on coil packs, grey gas in fuel filter?

verylongdrive

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf,2001
I just did more or less the 40k service on our '12 Golf 2.5, and found two odd things. This is the first time I've seen either VW coilpacks or a gas filter up close.
When I poured the gas out of the fuel filter that hadn't already spilled out during removal, I found that not only did it come out grey (opaque, but not sludgy) on the dirty side, but also on the 'clean' side. Should this worry me about the state of the tank and/or whether the filter media has sprung a leak?

The old coil packs (and thus their cavities in the head/cover) all have varying amounts of translucent-reddish gunk a little higher than halfway up the outside shinny tube. There is also a coating of this on the edge of the head, where the valve cover meets the head in each hole.
Is that just factory dielectric grease or equivalent? It seems too clear to be leaking oil, and it seem to be just a little more than enough to encircle each coil pack plug.

vwmk4

Veteran Member
TDI
None at this time, Looking for a nice one though.
I hope it's not the case but the reddish film may be coolant. May be a head gasket leak.
Not sure about the fuel filter.