Golf V

HopefulFred

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2006, Indigo Blue
I wanted to say a year from now...

The Jetta V has to have time to "make its splash" before they let us have the golf. (by contrast, in the resat of the world, the golf is the better seller, so they lead with the new golf, and let the jetta trail - thus, the NA market gets overlooked again...))

HopefulFred

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2006, Indigo Blue
Wouldn't you like to know... hehehe

I'm not telling
- because I have no idea, and I can't seem to find out.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Was at the St. Louis auto show today, gal said summer on the Golf, and it will be an '06 model.

They had two new Jettas there. I liked them OK, but they are not much bigger than the existing one (which I think is fine, small cars can be small cars and not be ashamed
) It is not nearly as big as the current Passat, especially in the front seat.

The rear seat legroom is bigger in the new Jetta vs. the old, likely at the expense of the potential front seat legroom and it also rides on a slightly longer wheelbase. They are packing a ton of standard features in the new car, too. These both had climate control, CD changers, satellite radio, VR5, Tiptronic, ESP, MFA, etc.

The new Audi A3, which rides on the same platform, was present too.

...oh, and so was the Diesel Jeep Liberty CRD

Tdidaryl

TDI
Golf, 1996 & 2005, White
Golf V went on sale here in Australia 6 months ago. We have two maodels the Trendline (basic) and the Comfortline (fully optioned). Both are offered with the 1.9L and the all new 2.0L engine. I drove both engines in auto and manual. Both are 6 speeds.

The auto is of particular interest. Called a DSG it is essentially a manual with auto change via two wet clutches. Highly rewarding to drive and and thats saying something as I am a "manual only" man from way back. If I buy the auto is for me. No power loss and can be driven in manual mode. In both manual and auto made you still feel like your driving a manual car. When your stopped at the lights and you take your foot off the brake you can actually feel the clutch dissengage. It is also very predictive of you driving style.

As for the engines. The 1.9 is a little improved over my MkIII Tdi (77kw and 250NM), but the 2.0L, well at 103kw and 320NM its quite a performer. Just 2000RPM at 120Km/hr.

In any case the 1.9 is certainly not under powered and both are an absolute joy.

Very few options available, Sat Nav, Sun Roof, Tow Bar, The Trendline has no cruise and no alloys.

A few months to wait for delivery yet due to demand, but heeh,I guess I'll still have one before you guys!

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Yeah, a Golf with navigation and a tow hitch...those are two option we'll likely never see here

When you say the new 2.0L, is it a diesel or petrol?

Joshinthecity

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Golf C'fortline 1.9 TDI 6-speed
he means diesel both 1.9 and 2.0 diesels are available here.
J.

Tdidaryl

TDI
Golf, 1996 & 2005, White
Joshinthecity
Are you an OZ based Tdi member? If you are, its nice to know i'm not on my own!

Yes everybody the 1.9 and 2.0L Tdi's are available in OZ.

erickordt

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf TDI Mk 3 1996 White, Golf TDI Mk 5 2005 White
Yes, the options list in Australia is quite impressive - but alas - so are the prices. For my Golf I paid $1250 AUS (about $1200 CAN) for a factory fitted tow hitch (apparently its quite a complex tow bar to fit as all the wiring has to run to the front wiring harness and not to the rear light assembly). Additionally, the Satellite Navigation (which I also had fitted) was a $2990 (about $2900 CAN) option which had to be fitted at time of manufacture (you get a antenna on the rear of the car and a LCD display in between the speedo and rpm gauge to tell you the directions). A golf without Sat Nav gets no antenna on the rear roof (radio antenna is built into the rear window glass). If you add DSG here (another option I ticked) you add another $2250 AUS (about $2200 CAN). So even though the 1.9L TDI Comfortline (fitted with alloys, cruise, trip etc) costs $29,990 (about $29000 CAN) with all the accessories and stuff you can easily pay $40,000 CAN. And yes heaps of accessories here to choose from like a plastic boot liner ($326), 6 stacker centre cd player ($434), factory floor mats ($160), mud flats ($255), mettalic paint ($695), headlight protectors ($70) and bonnet protectors ($78).

At the end of the day though its a brilliant automobile. Its slightly heavier on fuel in the city than my 1996 Golf TDI (I think the Golf V's DSGs design which includes hydralic pumps and slipping clutches at idle alongside heavier weight cause this). However, on the open road the Golf V's 6 speed DSG beats the older 1996 Golfs fuel consumption.

Anyhow, demand for the new Golf TDI Comfortline is high (expect to wait about 5 months in Australia like me before its delivered) with no real discounts. If you like petrol though theirs massive discounts here on the 1.6 Litre and 2 Litres Golfs.

Eric in Australia
1996 Golf Mk III TDi
2005 Golf Mk V TDi

Joshinthecity

Veteran Member
TDI
Joshinthecity
Are you an OZ based Tdi member? If you are, its nice to know i'm not on my own!

Yes everybody the 1.9 and 2.0L Tdi's are available in OZ.
Yep Daz.
I'm based just north of Wollongong.

J.

erickordt

Veteran Member
TDI
Hi J,
Thats a great part of Australia.. used to live in Campbelltown and go down to Wollongong all the time - used to love going down that steep hill and just letting the TDI's braking effect do all the work (cant do that in a Petrol car without reving out its guts). I live over in Perth
Eric

Joshinthecity

Veteran Member
TDI
Ahh... That would be Mt Ousley. I live half way down it !
Love Perth. I'm going to move there one of these days.

erickordt

Veteran Member
TDI
A two door Golf would be cool.... In Australia they couldnt sell two door Golfs - the only Golf since about 1997 thats been two door has been the Golf R32 (only bought 200 into Australia). Rumour has it even the new Golf GTi will only be sold here in two door as well...

I'd love a two door Golf... I wonder though if you'll get them in America especially with VW trying to move the brand upmarket. I think four doors are more upmarket than two doors...