Golf MKIV OEM Xenon adjustor broke & Electrical problem

DanBnl

TDI
ATD
Hi guys,

4 months ago I bought myself the OEM Xenon headlights for my MKIV Golf. They work fine and I like the output (even though it's not the best since it's a 1.75" or 2" projector with the lens itself being semi-clear instead of fully clear). I did encounter 1 problem, notably the adjusters (manual adjusters) the vertical adjusters work fine on 1 headlight, but the other one won't work, unless I use the black adjustor directly on the back of the headlight. How hard is it to replace these adjusters?

My second problem is the following. The previous owner in one way or another broke the ballast and igniter and used an universal set to make the D2S lights work. When I bought them I knew this and the price itself was also lower because of it. What I did was buy 2 new igniters and 2 new ballasts and attached them to the headlights. The igniters needed cutting and soldering since I was not about no risk breaking the manual adjusters or baking the headlight itself open since doing either is an absolute PITA of a job to do (or so I heard, read and saw for myself). Well turns out, cutting and soldering the igniters worked fine and the D2S lamps work perfect (fortunately :).

I do encounter one problem which I read about and looks like is a known problem to OEM HID, namely that whenever I hit a small bump or in general, unevenness in the road I notice that the lights flicker. This, however, takes less then a second and the bulbs themselves keep working, just the flickering is, well, not normal (I think).

I opened up the headlights, changed the bulbs and the Halogen to Xenon adapters (I got a new pair seeing as the previous ones were sliced and spliced in an amateuristic way and looked around for loose connections and everything looked great (or my eyes deceived me).

What do you guys think the problem may be? Do note that I don't have the OEM Ballasts but an aftermarket ballast with the same dimensions as the other one as well as the same electrical specifications as the OEM ones except the aftermarkets don't have the components necessary for the automatic leveler to work. I do not have either the automatic leveling system as well as headlights washers since the country where I live in has a law in place which allows me to install Xenons without installing the two previously mentioned options.

Further the headlights are eurospec (should this information be necessary or helpful in whatever way).

Thanks in advance and excuses for my English. It's not my native language, but I try to be as clear as possible.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Check this out:

https://www.xenonhids.com/troublesh...ally means the car,will need a wiring harness.

"3. My HID lights are flickering.
Flickering usually means the car is unable to supply enough power to the ballast. You can easily test this by connecting the HID kit directly to the car battery. If the kit works, it is a power issue. To resolve this, you will need a wiring harness.

If your car has Daytime Running Lights (DRL) flickering is usually caused by the lower voltage needed to run the DRL at half power. The car's factory harness does not provide enough power to the ballasts. If the flickering is caused by the DRL you will need a wiring harness or have the DRL disabled (this may not be legal in all areas).

Flickering can also be caused by the vehicle's onboard computer failing self-check test due to the new HID kit you just installed. This can easily be corrected with a set of warning cancellers (capacitors)."

DanBnl

TDI
ATD
Good afternoon!

I read your message thoroughly and I forgot to mention that I replaced the universal HID kit with OEM's ones. So the ballasts are on the back of the headlights and the ignitors on the insides and they work perfectly.