Golf MK6 - Turn key and nothing happens.

Xcarlx

TDI
Golf
Hi guys, weird problem here.

Only on cold starts..

I turn my key to turn the engine over and it doesn't crank at all. I have to attempt it about 10 times before it decides to work, then it has no problem and behaves perfectly, i can turn it off and on without issue after that.

Then it returns to having same issue when left overnight.

My battery is new and my start stop works.

Has anybody had this issue? Ive seen a guide on this site but it doesn't cover my issue where it eventually starts up are drives normally.

Also i have no warning lights or anything of the sort.

Thanks guys.

MikeH31324

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI 2 door 6MT
I’m not sure what may cause this on a Golf, but I have had similar issues with a different vehicle. on the other vehicle it turned out to be the contacts in the starter solenoid were severely pitted and worn. Repaired the solenoid with new contacts and it still works like new.

jetlagmech

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta
couple things come to mind. But it is a little early in the year for intercooler icing. Do you know what that is? There have been quite a few people with switch problems. cleaning contacts in the push button switch or replaceing the ignition switch assy the key goes into. Get someone to turn the key while your in the relay panel under the hood to see if your getting relays clicking when turning the key to start position. that should cut the system in half so you know where to start looking.

Xcarlx

TDI
Golf
Thank you both guys. I am 100% convinced its to do with a contact. When it does actually contact and work, it starts up nicely so i dont. Think the starter motor is on its way out.

Thanms for suggestions Jet, ill give that a try

Xcarlx

TDI
Golf
couple things come to mind. But it is a little early in the year for intercooler icing. Do you know what that is? There have been quite a few people with switch problems. cleaning contacts in the push button switch or replaceing the ignition switch assy the key goes into. Get someone to turn the key while your in the relay panel under the hood to see if your getting relays clicking when turning the key to start position. that should cut the system in half so you know where to start looking.
Ive had a go today, i was solo so didnt get to check fuses. But i did notice that when you turn ignition, for a split second, and i mean a split second, its turns over, but cuts out immediately.

It feels like its the immobiliser but id get the light come up.

So basically, its not completely dead when turning the key. After trying a few times, it turned on as it does and will start first time even though ive not moved the car, and will Be fine until i leave it overnight.

Wilkins

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta Wagon 5sp, 10 Sportwagen 6MT
I’d suspect a connection which isn’t always making contact. Works momentarily when you first try, then fails. Once it works it seems to be ok until it cools down or condensation perhaps sets in. Suggests it could be in a higher current location but who knows.