Golf Mk 4 TDI Tire Pressures

VWgolf2001TDI

Hi,

I was wondering if anybody knows the best tire pressures for a Mk 4 Golf TDI. I believe the rear's are suppost to run slightly higher but I'm unsure exactly what pressures. Any help is much appreciated.

Andrew

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
I run 39 front and 37 rear. Less pressure in the rear because of lower weight loading on the tires. It seems to work well for me.

I used to run 42/40, but the center tread got much thinner than the edges, indicating that the pressures were too high.

Some tires may not be rated for pressures this high - my OEM set had a max rating of 36, IIRC (please forgive me as it was many many moons ago). So the construction of your tires may require a modification from what others run. You may need higher pressures than what I run also.

I also check the pressures when cold about once a week using a dial guage. Bourdon tubes are much more accurate than a plastic stick sliding in a tube. I figure air leakage is going to happen over time regardless of the driving load, so it gets checked at about the same time period.

Like everything else, caveat emptor.

tjl

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS
VWgolf2001TDI said:
I was wondering if anybody knows the best tire pressures for a Mk 4 Golf TDI. I believe the rear's are suppost to run slightly higher but I'm unsure exactly what pressures. Any help is much appreciated.
My 2001 Golf TDI had a tire pressure label behind the fuel door.

For half load, it said 26psi front and rear.

For full load, it said 30psi front, 38psi rear.

The car came from the factory with Michelin Energy MXV4+ tires, 44psi maximum. But after a few tens of thousands of miles of running at the full load pressures, I noticed that the tires were wearing more on the sides than the center -- typical underinflation wear pattern.

mpaxeman

TDI
'02 Black Golf GLS
It depends on the manufacturer and size etc., what kind of tires are you using that dont state the psi on the tire? if theyre stock then read the above.

Last edited:

The Horak

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI GL
It depends on the manufacturer and size etc., what kind of tires are you using that dont state the psi on the tire? if theyre stock then read the above.
Very true. It's not the same for every tire model. Find what you like. Are you a spirited or relaxed driver?