Golf GTI TDI PD130M6

GiGGer

Veteran Member
TDI
GTI TDI 130
Golf GTI TDI PD130M6 - Melted... Destroyed... :(

Hello,

I am posting this on TDIClub because without this forum, I would probably never have built a project like that and, I appreciate people sharing their project so, why not doing this for mine also. I am not a mechanic at all but I do understand a lot about mechanic.

My Past Projects (TDI and non-TDI)

1. : '90 Honda CRX Si with '95 GSR engine
2. : '92 Jetta with '98 TDI engine
3. : '92 Passat Syncro with '98 TDI engine

I still have my Syncro TDI and use it on a daily basis and as a winter car. I love the performance of it and the overall enjoyment it gives driving this in winter. I could keep this only car and put money on my house but, temptation wins again and I need to build another project.

The Engine : PD100 or PD130

I always dreamed of driving a Golf TDI with a PD130 or PD150 engine that are available in Europe but, importation is complicate and expensive so I looked at several options.

I looked at buying a PD130 ASZ or PD150 ARL engine but due to availability and importation fees, those two engines were quite expensive and I resign to buy a PD100 BEW engine.

I had that engine sitting in my garage for a few weeks and I saw a post on TDIClub for a PD130 ASZ engine. This needed to be mine. It is already on the American continent (Does Sarah Palin knows where this is? ;)) and I can always sell back my PD100 BEW engine without loosing money.

Road Trip (Montréal, QC - Baltimore, MD - Montréal, QC)

This trip was very funny. After a night without sleeping more than 4 hours (I saw the post and got excited), I woke up Friday morning at 7:00am and went to work. I came back home at 7:00pm and left home toward Baltimore at 11pm. Cross the border at Saturday 12:30am. The I-87 in NY state near the Canada is a very sleepy road but we made it to Baltimore and got there at about 11:00am and 1000km later.

The engine was there like promised, sitting in an unfinished MK2 project. I notice that the 6-Speed 02M transmission was attached to the engine and I was not aware at all and did not thought of asking before leaving home last night. So, I end up bringing it all with me (Engine, Transmission, Starter, Shifter and some other parts). To me, this was one of the good days that you will remember a long time. Everything fitted in my MK3 Golf GTI VR6 trunk. The suspension did sit lowered but the roads in U.S.A. are much better than our roads in Quebec so I did not worry that much.

It's now 3:00pm on Saturday, 32 hours without sleeping but during the day it's not that bad to keep ourselves awake. We left Baltimore and headed back to Quebec. Another 1000km of driving awaits us.

Everything was going well until the night starts to kick in. Once the sun goes down, we became very tired and we were stopping more often and went to a Marina in Kingston, NY because my friend want to see a sailboat for sale. We relaxed for an hour and felt better. Back on the road after, again on that I-87 near Albany, it became hard to drive with all those reflector on the side of the road, they are too much eye-catching. Coffee was not good enough other than to keep us stopping for washroom. Drank my first Red Bull and did not feel any effects to keep us awake. I found out two things that help you sway awake in those extreme tired moments. Adrenaline or holding a coffee while driving. I now clearly understand how Jason Statham felt in the movie Crank :).

Our last stop before the borders were at a Dunkin Donuts and the guy there was on his last day before going to the US Army and told us he was making very nice deals. After 40 hours without sleeping, this was an extremely funny situation and we could not stop laughing in front of him and we end up with 2 coffee and 12 donuts for $1.79. That kept us awake up to the border.

24 hours after being in the U.S.A., we crossed the border again on our way back. It is Sunday 12:30am. I "declared" what I bought and after 15 minutes, we were done with them and now no more stress for how many fees they will charge us. I came back home at 2:00am and went to bed shortly after.

We stayed awake for 44 hours without sleeping. This was very dangerous and I don't need anyone to let me know that. But, that was my only chance of getting that engine. It was a very nice road trip and very well worth it!

The Body

Now that I have the perfect engine for my project, I need a shell to put this in. I wanted a MK4 Volkswagen and one of my requirements was that it needed to be a German-made car. This leaves me very few options. Early MK4 Golf or a Jetta Wagon.

I bought a '00 Golf TDI with a blown engine at 465 000km. The previous owner changed the turbo actuator and did not empty the intercooler and under boost, the engine swallowed oil and rods and piston were all blew up because of a $100 fix and lack of attention to do a professional job. That was not my problem but became my solution.

The body is in very great condition. The engine bay is in mint condition, under the car is just perfect and the overall body condition is great. The two fenders will be changed under VW 12 year’s corrosion warranty and some touch-ups will be needed but overall, the body is in excellent shape even with half a milion kilometers on the clock.

The car is equipped with Air, Cruise control and the sunroof. Those last two are still working perfectly well. The brakes and suspension are totally shot. Most of the parts are the original ones on the car. I'll have all winter to source some upgrade parts for it.

The Conversion

Didz, one of my friends and an exceptional mechanic, removed the old ALH engine along with all useless parts and installed the ASZ engine and transmission. It was a very straightforward swap since everything came out of an European Golf.

Once everything in place, I moved the car to another of my friends who is also another great mechanic and has a lot of custom projects to his record including, a MK3 Jetta Coupe with a PD150 ARL engine at a 6-Speed transmission, soon to be 4-Motion.

I moved the car to him to install the remaining parts that requires custom fabrication skill. I got a VNT20 turbo from Kerma TDI that was suppose to be a direct bolt-on but we found out that the turbo oil drain was facing upward, not very good for a gravity drain. The turbo was opened and new holes were drilled and tapped to have 6 possible angles instead of 3.

Once the exhaust manifold and reclocked turbo in place, the actuator is now interfering with the tubular exhaust manifold. The rod for the actuator needed to be extended and now goes right between 2 of the exhaust manifold runners. It looks pretty nice.

The turbo oil return line was way to short to connect the turbo to the engine. We finally end up using a '96 AAZ oil return line that match pretty well.

The ALH downpipe was modified to match the VNT20 turbo flange and a new flexible was used. It should last for a very long time. I also add a cat convertor and the rest of the exhaust is the 465 000km one that is still in great condition.

I already purchased a Passat PD130 Intake Manifold (same as PD150 but inlet on transmisison side) to ease the installation of a Front Mount Intercooler. A Race Pipe was used and EGR removed. A custom intercooler kit with 2.5" diameter was added and fit very well. The intake duct is on 3" piping.

After a Thousand kilometers

I now have the car since 10 days and, The engine rides like a new one. Transmission shift very well and you can easily feel the stock 130 Horsepowers. I will winterize the car in the next few days and I am not sure if it will be chipped before or after winter.

I will source some new brakes, suspension, a new interior because this one is very dirty and with bigger brakes, i'll need bigger wheels. Should be in very good condition after all those necessary upgrades.

Credits

I need to give credits to 3 person for this project without them, It would have been quite complicated to do a project like that.

Didz
Named Tintin - http://www.vwquebec.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=210977
Paul @ KermaTDI

Thank you for looking and I hope you enjoy it :)

Last edited:

GiGGer

Veteran Member
TDI
GTI TDI 130
Engine / Transmission

ASZ PD130
02M 6-Speed TDI Transmission

Turbo + Exhaust manifold

VNT20 ST3B Turbo
Tubular Exhaust Manifold

Last edited:

GiGGer

Veteran Member
TDI
GTI TDI 130
Intercooler

2.5" Intercooler and piping
3.0" Air intake pipe

Engine / Transmission conversion

Turbo, Actuator, Exhaust and Intake manifold

Last edited:

GiGGer

Veteran Member
TDI
GTI TDI 130
Downpipe, Oil lines, Catalytic Converter

Intake Pipe, EGR Race Pipe, Intercooler

Last edited:

GiGGer

Veteran Member
TDI
GTI TDI 130
The winter is over. The car was riding very badly before storing it for winter. Can't blame a car with nearly half a million kilometers, so I decided to spend some money on it. Several suspension and braking components were the original one. I felt like I need to replace some of those parts to make the car more secure. It now rides like a new one, but improved in every way.

Suspension

I installed a brand new Bilstein BTS. Lowered the car about 1.5" in the front. It gives an awesome look but the main reason was to get some kind of handling, old coilspring were broken, shocks looked like a bicycle pump!

Brakes / Wheels

More engine power needs more braking power. I went for the biggest brakes available on the MK4 chassis. Golf R32 Brakes front and rear.

Front : 13.1" directionnal vented disc with twin-piston calipers
Rear : 10.1" vented disc with Golf 20th carrier

The Carrier of the R32 is different compare to a GLI or 20th or 337 because of the 4motion. They are almost identical but it would require a shim, which I don't think is a good idea to shim braking components...

Minimum 17" wheels are required with those huge brakes. Not all 17" will work.

Fuel Cooler

PD and Automatic cars came with a fuel cooler. This is the original one from Volkswagen that will be install shortly. Next is a shot of the turbo.

6 Speed shifter boot and instrument cluster of the car. One day a MFA cluster will be there along with gauges. Boost gauge is there, but not permanently mounted.

Last edited:

greg123

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat, now Pug 405 TD, later Passat again!
Great job! Shame you have to have the EGR and CAT. The EGR is evil on these engines.

You'll get over 200hp I'll bet with a good tune on that setup, here in the UK it's common for a std pd130 to make 185hp with a chip and a pd150 can break 200 with a chip, that's without the vnt20 and fmic (the pd150 has one, but smaller than yours I'm sure).

Greg.

Greg.

GiGGer

Veteran Member
TDI
GTI TDI 130
EGR is not there anymore. I got an high flow cat converter from Kerma TDI. I prefer having it even if it's far from doing the job of a real cat converter but at least, it's on 2.5".

My exhaust line after the cat is the stock one from the ALH. I like it because it's extremely quiet driving it on highway or in town.

Tintin, who complete the project, already have a setup almost identical and got 204whp on the dyno. I am pretty sure i'll have a similar number.

I stored the car for winter, will give me time to shop for new brakes, wheels, maybe a leather interior (wish we would have the leather recaro you guys have in Europe), and also, a bigger mass air flow. the stock ALH one is way too small.

sam_51

Veteran Member
TDI
115pd swap FOR 150pd
GREAT STUFF. CAN I JUST ASK IS THERE A REASON WHY YOU DID NOT MOVE THE COLD AIR FEED AND MAF TO THE OTHER SIDE OF THE BAY?. IVE JUST BOUGHT A PASSAT INLET AND INTEND TO MOVE THE MAF TO THE OTHERSIDE AND THEN EXTEND THE MAF WIREING WITH IT.
sorry im just makeing sure ther is nothing big i have missed with my intetions.

GiGGer

Veteran Member
TDI
GTI TDI 130
I am not sure that would have fit pretty well on the passenger side. The antifreeze expansion tank, windshield washer tank are there and, 1x2.5" intercooler pipe goes there also and the air intake that goes to the MAF is 3" wide. That makes a lot of piping on that side and even if this would be do-able, I would have to use a small pflow and I prefer to keep the stock airbox and, as stock as possible for the look also.

named tintin

Veteran Member
TDI
golf tdi
I completed this project, it was pleasant to work on it.

Next spring we will do the tuning and pass on the dyno, i predict some more HP than mine, I hope 210-215HP.

rosskuhns

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf
Hi gigger, way cool project.
I was just worried about your turbo header being wrapped. I've seen them rot out on NA cars with headers that have been wrapped in a few seasons. Even coated ones, the wrap seems to trap moisture in there after shut off or something. Not sure what yours is made of, but if it were mine, I'd not take the chance, or at the least, give a peek under there every 6 months or so.

Ross

GiGGer

Veteran Member
TDI
GTI TDI 130
Ok...will see. I winterize the car so it is not seeing winters. I'll keep a look at it once in a while. Thanks for the info

GiGGer

Veteran Member
TDI
GTI TDI 130
Fuel Consumption since chipped :
Best : 5.0L/100KM
Worst : 6.2L/100KM

Last edited:

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
Do you have a pic of the front end of the car with the bumper on? I realized you stuffed a 7" tall core behind the bumper and I was wondering if it was a regular NA bumper or an R32 bumper?

GiGGer

Veteran Member
TDI
GTI TDI 130
That's the only pics I have taken. First pics of the car itself I think. As you can notice, the body is not mint but considering it's a half-million kilometer car, it's in pretty decent shape. under the car is absolutely mint, the front fender will be changed by Volkswagen's warranty against corrosion program, i'll get some touchup done at the same time too but, that will be next year since it's currently stored for winter.

If you want more pics of the intercooler, you will need to be patient, at least until April :)

Last edited:

hid3

Banned
TDI
Golf V 1.9 TDI-PD 105 HP
Very nice project. Still I see you need much body and other minor work to do. Replacing the headlights and wipers is just a must!

GiGGer

Veteran Member
TDI
GTI TDI 130
yeah that is true for the body, but once the fender are done for free, it's really not that bad. for +/- 500$, it should look pretty clean. But anyway, some big projects might happen in 2010 so I won't invest too much on the body. As for the lights, depending on that project, i might just look for a good set of OEM ones.

hid3

Banned
TDI
Golf V 1.9 TDI-PD 105 HP
GiGGer, what odometer mileage the engine you bought has got? Have you checked the camshaft for premature wear before installation?

GiGGer

Veteran Member
TDI
GTI TDI 130
Long time since I update my own project thread. Good news, I still have the car. Bad news, I have 3 mk4 Volkswagen to maintain so, money can't be thrown always at the same one so, improvements are not too fast.

I sent the car to the paint shop to have the front fenders replaced free of charge by Volkswagen and while at it, I had them peform some touch-ups here and there. They did an awesome job and it's very hard to see where the touch-ups were made. I also changed the windshield and I never imagined how of an improvement that could be. I also installed a pair of GTI Headlights with fogs, to replace the yellowish ones I had.

More upgrade to come. Already waiting in a box is pair of GTI Taillights, GTI 6-speed shifter and an MFA cluster :). I'll also need a new interior and tinted windows...

Last edited:

leon10tagg

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf 90bhp ALH tdi, 2002 Golf PD100, 2004 Passat 1.9PD AWX, 2001 Golf 4-Motion, 1997 Audi A4 1.8t sport, 1998 Subaru Impreza 2.0t WRX
Anymore updates on the golf??

GiGGer

Veteran Member
TDI
GTI TDI 130
I just winterized the car a few days ago and during winter, i'll be looking at swapping a new interior to replace my worn out driver's seat and carpet. Road salt (they put a lot during winter here, way too much) is all dried up in the carpet so, I will replace the carpet very shortly and, while at it, a new set of seats would be more then welcome. When I removed the carpet, I had the opportunity to look at the floor panel from inside the car to find out that it is in very good condition. Some rust where the salt dried up but, that was a very tiny spot and, rust was removed, primed and painted. I also took a look at the interior of all body panels to find out that, they are still in mint condition.

Next mods:
-GTI 337 Interior (Seats, Seatbelts, Aluminium trims/pedals + heated seats switch)
-MFA TDI Cluster
-Turbo, Exhaust, Clutch
-Window Tinting
-GTI 337 Bodykit ???

Not sure what else to modify after that list is done. I'm sure i'll find something else to do but if my wife ever reads the forum, I better stop there!!! :)

Last edited:

GiGGer

Veteran Member
TDI
GTI TDI 130
36 hours ago, my car melted. It was at my mechanic's garage and a fire completely destroy the entire garage along with other businesses. My car was inside and was completely destroyed :'(

I haven't update my thread here because I was waiting to complete the install of my new mods (BBS RC, GTI 337 complete interior, etc...) But this will never happen :(

I'll go grab some pictures of it tonight and if you want to look at the fire, look at : www.lentille.com. It was VERY hot out there.

Last edited:

K.I.T.T.

Veteran Member
TDI
PD75
Sorry to hear about the fire. Is it a complete write-off or is anything salvageable? It's a shame after all the work you put into it :(

Hopefully onwards and upwards with a new project eh?

Ash :)

GTiTDi

TDIClub Enthusiast, Macht Schnell! Vendor , w/Busi
3 Spruce st Wareham, gateway to Cape Cod Massachus
TDI
'91 GTI CJAA swap,'02 Jetta wagon ALH swap, '03 GTI 1.8T rally car, '03 Sprinter 3500
That is terrible news, I hope you aren't too discouraged and start another build! You have had the practice, do it again! Start with a 20AE or 337 GTI this time! Keep your head up! Bon chance mon ami!

GiGGer

Veteran Member
TDI
GTI TDI 130
It is totally destroyed. I took some pictures but my card reader doesn't read SDHC so i'll have them later on my computer.

The only things left is the 2 axles attached to the differential gear along with the exhaust manifold. No more engine, No more transmission, it MELTED! I found that hard to believe but that's really the case.

One of my BBS RC is partially melted, the other one isn't even there anymore but the 5 studs are still screwed to the hub...

As for a new project...Not sure i'll mput the same effort/money into it again. At least, not for now... :'(