Golf GTI TDI PD130M6

Blades

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS TDI
I saw the picture of Gigger's car tonight and a few other pictures and anything called aluminium basicly melted away ....

I have a picture I can post but I'll wait Gigger's approval.

GiGGer

Veteran Member
TDI
GTI TDI 130
Those pictures are not from my car but, I had the entire 337 interior package sitting next to the car when the fire caught in. No picture of them at all but I atleast have one with the BBS RC...but it's after the fire :(

mogly

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV TDI + B5.5V AVF/01E

How does a cast iron engine block, crank and rods melt away but not the much lighter exhaust manifold? Same for the transmission internals? I've seen fires hot enough to melt aluminum many times but cast iron? You know what's also weird is the exhaust manifold didn't melt but where are the exhaust studs and nuts? I can see the head melting, sure, but wouldn't the studs remain in the holes of the manifold along with the nuts?

I don't know Mike, I'm sorry for your loss but from my observations, and hey I could be WAY out to lunch here but it seems like there is something fishy here.

GiGGer

Veteran Member
TDI
GTI TDI 130
I had difficulties to believe it myself when they called me to let me know but, nothing is fishy at all, it's trully what happen. Cars park next to the garage are almost in the same condition as mine, cars park 20 feets away partially melted as well.

It's been extremely hot in there during the burning hours. have a look at : http://www.lentille.com/interventions/20110330-01-FeuCommerce/ and see for yourself, the pictures were taken by one of the 40 firemans on site.

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
I'm very sorry for your loss.
That is very horrible, and I hope you find the will to build again.

Jump.Wire

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 GL
Looking at what you said and what the pictures show looks like the shop might have pulled an insurance scam... engine blocks melted? More like everything of value in the shop, including your motor and seats would be taken and the place set on fire. Pretty suspicious if you ask me.

GiGGer

Veteran Member
TDI
GTI TDI 130
It could have been but, everyone lost a lot into this and the only person that could have benefit of this is the owner of the place. The place is splitted into two suite (A & B) and the fire caught in Suite A while my car was in Suite B. The owner had nothing to do with the businesses in that place, he was just renting some locals.

The guy in Suite A that put everything on fire signed the police report confirming this is all due to him. It was "accidental" but still VERY stupid of him to empty a gas tank by drilling it. The worst thing about this is that, I know this guy for +/- 10 years and always found that he could be idiot from time to time...now it's confirmed!

GiGGer

Veteran Member
TDI
GTI TDI 130
I am considering my options now and I already had two other cars so the PD130 didn't require me to purchase another one so I cleared some debts and bought a larger house since we are going to have our first baby in a few months.

Once everything is settle in our new environment, i'll consider spending money to fix/upgrade my 99.5 Golf TDI and fix her's 2005 Wagon TDI. Hopefully it will happen shortly but priority changed a lot this year so...taking it easy this time :)

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
That is horrific, sorry for the loss. Congrats on the baby.

GiGGer

Veteran Member
TDI
GTI TDI 130
Not much updates relative to my cars... got a 99.5 Golf chip/nozzled and a wagon 2005 chipped... I've been quiet in that domain but don't get me wrong, i'm always very tempted to build something else...

It would be a very easy choice for the drivetrain but just not sure about what car to put this into. I would love to have an R32-PD150-DTB2260VK combo like Danielhf http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=371617 but she is watching my expense so this is never going to be easy!!