Going to Mexico

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
That's the word that I heard. I talked to a truck driver that was loading TDIs and he said that they were going to Aberdeen, Washington to be put on a boat to Mexico. He thinks they are to be shredded there, but who knows? Anyone want to go to Mexico to get a cheap TDI?:D

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
They can't be exported as roadworthy cars without being fixed and there is no fix, so at least part of the destruction has to happen here first. I don't think VW has gotten far enough as to decide what to do with them. With no approved fix, they are in limbo.

The smart thing would be to filter out the ones that there is no hope for fixing and cube those right away to save the expense of storing them. Who knows.

az7000'

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI (gone), 2014 Passat TDI (gone), 2014 Touareg TDI (Amazing!)
I took my TDI to Mexico last month, great mileage and plenty of power!

Turning it in in 1 week.... ;)

Airpizz6

Veteran Member
TDI
Now TDI-free, but there now is a 15 MB E250 BT in the driveway
300,000 TDIs lined up nose to tail could almost cover the Texas-Mexico border.

Salsaman06

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL (sold back to VWoA Dec 21, 2016)
If I was sending things to Mexico, I wouldn't ship them to Washington first... that seems crazy! haha
Not really. You need a big port to handle something of this magnitude. Seattle is the west coast's 4th largest port. Los Angeles, Long Beach, and Oakland are probably too busy to handle this kind of stuff.

kevin_in_idaho

Veteran Member
TDI
Returned 2012 Sportwagen DSG Pano White
They are probably going there since they are made in mexico and it's cheaper to fix them there.

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible
I thought it was against the agreement to remove them from the country until they were "fixed".
There are all kinds of loopholes in trade laws. Such as areas at ports and port cities that are deemed to not be in the host country. You could ship merchandise to those designated areas in foreign countries, have them modified there, and then shipped back to the USA.

For example, when containers are unloaded at the port, the merchandise is not considered "imported" until they leave the port and enter commerce in the port host country. This allows trans shipment from the port to a third destination, without ever incurring importation customs of the country where the port is located.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Last thing VW needs is to be embroiled in a controversy importing/exporting cars they specifically agreed not to. Loop holes in the trade laws have nothing to do with the existing agreement with the Judge.

Tony45

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI 2-door 6MT (BB - 4/18)
I thought it was against the agreement to remove them from the country until they were "fixed".
They are "fixed" or "distroyed". Easy to do at the port: pour two quarts of a solution that hardens with heat in the engine and start it .... doesn't take long. This is what they did with the cash for clunkers to prevent resale of cars.

gonesurfing

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 JSW TDI - Sold Back 12/22/16
This is pure speculation... but my money is that they get crushed, shredded, and recycled for scrap. The logistics of fixing each vehicle, coupled with repairing other exiting issues, accounting for various vehicle conditions/damage, and the risk of warrantying each of modified emissions system would likely way outweigh the money recovered by reselling them (at least in the US/Canada/EU). There is probably also a team of tax lawyers working on ways to write off whatever they can, which further tips the scales towards scrapping them.
There may be some portion (<2yrs old, <30k miles) that may be certifiable as pre-owned for resale, but I'm 99% certain that our old '09 JSW is on it's way to the crusher.

Tony45

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI 2-door 6MT (BB - 4/18)
If they're going to leave the country, and that is the premise of this thread, they will either be fixed or distroyed. I don't believe a fix is likely, either for technical or more likely economic reasons. Is it cheaper to crush them in the US or Mexico!

TDILeo

Veteran Member
TDI
CW 2011 Golf TDI 6M Repurchased By VW 1/30/17 1985 VW GTI
I think it would be a shame if they crushed each and every TDI returned. The well kept cars will be a treasure trove of parts - body panels, seats, interior trim etc. But ultimately, it's whatever pencils out for the benefit of VW.