going rate for a PD timming belt job

dbdubb

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta, 10 Q7
A trusted guru for sure. I think I paid somewhere around $550 to mine, that included the entire kit. Belt, Water pump, tensioners, rollers, etc.

UFO

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle
I don't know how different the PD is from my ALH, but mine cost $700 including parts from my local TDIClub "guru". I consider that an excellent price as most independents charge at least $1000 for the job using potentially inferior parts. And I'd never (repeat NEVER) go to a stealer (sic).

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
PD costs less than ALH...

You have two well-respected TDI-Club gurus in your vicinity... why go elsewhere? Price, while it should be competitive, should not be the overriding concern here... getting the job performed correctly is more important..

Troy Sentz and Roger Feldt have both gotten excellent reviews... If you need contact info, just ask...

All the best,

Yuri

ATLSilverTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Special Edition Jetta - Silver
Dealer quote

I stopped in one of the 5 Atlanta area dealers for a quick oil change... as I had a $20 off coupon, and needed an oil change, but not enough time to do it myself before an impending trip.

Since it was my first time visiting this dealer, service advister/writer was doing everything he could to add on items to my cheap deal of an oil change. Recommended a TB change as it is getting close to time. I said, "not today" as I am in a hurry. I did inquire what a TB change would be... verbally quoted $1300 (including water pump). A little lofty, I think my local guru would do for $200 plus parts, so $500+ is about right.

bruca003

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 golf GLS TDI, 2005 passat wagon tdi.
I know one of the head mechanics at a Vw dealer in Toronto. He did it for $200 labour plus the Vw parts.. Tb, tensioner, water pump.

DrewD

Veteran Member
anywhere from 500-1000 dollars not including the cost for a new engine if you take it to an indi or dealership.....find a local TDI guru.

farfrumsanity

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta-2005 Reflex Silver A-5
I just finished the timing beltjob on my Mk-5 BRM, took my time, had the Metalnerd kit, locked the crankshaft and the camshaft, removed the old one, installed the new one, rotated the crankshaft two revolutions and made sure the locks lined up, buttoned everything back up in about 4 hours. The timing belt kits run between $200 and $300, depending on what you get, I got the complete kit, tensioner, idler, timing belt, water pump with metal impeller, serpentine belt, antifreeze and all the replacement bolts for $269 from ECI Tuning. The old belt looked good, no cracks or tears, but changed it for peace of mind. The original water pump had a plastic impeller, never had a problem and looked fine also. I have replaced timing belts before, and with the locks nothing can move, and the harmonic balancer does not have to be removed. I'm good for another 80,000 miles.