Going 2266 in my CJAA CR2.0 TDI

AWD or HX40 Compound after engine build/dq500 swap?

• Total voters

lemoncurd

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 CJAA GTB2266
Try no more than 6 channels at a time, making sure to hit the Group UDS checkbox if it's there, as well as the turbo button each time when logging. There looks to be very large gaps between data points in your logs. I'm not sure if possibly you have an older/slower cable that is limiting that as well for you.

Could be slightly different from my particular ECU, but try to log each of these as their own log. In bold is what I name the files, and you can save them in VCDS so they're there for quick reference every time you go to log.
1. VNT - RPM, boost spec, boost act, vnt %, EGT, main IQ (this could be mean IQ or main injection quantity, ask your tuner)
2. RAIL - RPM, rail press spec, rail press actual, rail pressure regulator %, metering unit activation %, mean or main IQ
3. AFR - RPM, boost spec, boost act, MAF, lambda, mean or main IQ

Here's an example of how much more data points you get which should speed up any tuning.
noted, i have been using turbo mode but between my older VCDS and the laptop it is being run on, i might be missing data points :)

that just means it isn't big enough heh
agree'd! lol

lemoncurd

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 CJAA GTB2266
Under 3000 RPM, you got that right! :LOL:
after driving around for a bit, and getting some low end response fixed, the GTB2266 drives like the stock dieselgate fix tune did lol. completely gutless until about 1800-1900 RPM, then you start to feel some of the boost build, then once it hits 2100 youre off to the races.

rpm to rpm on the low range it drives the same as stock did, so im happy with it!

it is also nice to make this power up high, as now it can actually hold the traction. i have more traction with this than i did with stage 2 on the stock turbo

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
it is also nice to make this power up high, as now it can actually hold the traction. i have more traction with this than i did with stage 2 on the stock turbo
yup
clutch holds more, transmission fluid doesn't drain as black, tires last longer
loads of low end torque is impressive from a stop, but it is painfully expensive (in many meanings of the word) and entirely unimpressive from a roll

sauron18

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDI DSG
after driving around for a bit, and getting some low end response fixed, the GTB2266 drives like the stock dieselgate fix tune did lol. completely gutless until about 1800-1900 RPM, then you start to feel some of the boost build, then once it hits 2100 youre off to the races.

rpm to rpm on the low range it drives the same as stock did, so im happy with it!

Yeah that's the benefit of a 2266. The stage 2, stage 3 cr170, Xman cr170 or the gtb1756 makes to much power down low. If i go big turbo would like to go with a 2266 but right now i don't have that kind of money. I think i will leave my car as it's Xman cr170, cp3, 2200 bar, 4 bar map, s3 intercooler. Perfect for a daily and still compared to the stage 2 the top end it's an improvement. The car dosen't go flat on the top end but sure a GTB will make more power in the top end. Regarding the top end my TDI is something like the same with my previous car a GLI mk5. When it was k03 the top end power wasn't there after 5.5k rpm but with k04 it was an improvement like as it should have come from factory. The k03 and the cr140 fall on it face in the top end. The k04 and the cr170 in the top end are an improvement in that regard.

coolusername

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
My car is not officially supported but I have been using it for more than 80k miles now.

It does steering down to 0 mph, and used to do braking down to 8mph. The 8mph limit is due to my current over H31 pump hardware version.
I no longer have braking control, only steering, due to some software issue's but it is not a huge deal to me. I am fine controlling gas+brake while it steers, makes road trips a dream

The shop doesn't know of openpilot being installed nor would they doing the work. It looks like a normal dashcam and won't engage until you turn cruise control on

edit: the shop just stopped responding to my request for getting scheduled. the friend i got the connection through told me the guy was moving to a different shop and he is busy etc etc, i don't believe the guy means any harm but at this point i'd just rather do the work myself and save some money especially given I have the ability to do the work now given my new work situation

edit 2: i am working on a new custom module to enable OEM Radar commands from openpilot to control gas+brake
here is a video of me doing some steer testing on a custom firmware hack for the rack:
Have you documented / posted about your work getting OpenPilot on your car? What would be the cost / difficulty involved? This is fascinating to me and I've love to read more on what you've done, parts involved, costs etc. If the hassle isn't extreme, I might want to do this to my Mk6 wagon too and follow in your footsteps.

lemoncurd

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 CJAA GTB2266
Have you documented / posted about your work getting OpenPilot on your car? What would be the cost / difficulty involved? This is fascinating to me and I've love to read more on what you've done, parts involved, costs etc. If the hassle isn't extreme, I might want to do this to my Mk6 wagon too and follow in your footsteps.
it is somewhat documented, best bet would be to join the 3 openpilot discords. the official comma ai one, the community one, and retropilot

for this hobby i have learned you pay to play, if you want the easiest no fuss install youll pay for it. buy a comma 3 from comma.ai and select the "J533 harness"

this harness will go under the dash and plug into the canbus gateway. once this is done you will need VCDS to code LKAS on in the EPS module.

after this you can load up a fork of openpilot, and drive off into the sunset.
it wont control gas or brake for right now, i am working on fixing this with a custom module

if you buy a comma 3, i can help you get it installed and get it running. if you decide to take the cheaper route of buying one of the cheap china kits, then i can help guide you through the install but you will be mostly on your own for getting the software running.

i have some old branches of the software i used to run on the china kits, so i can send that stuff to you but i havent looked at it much less used it in more than a year so itll be a learning experience for the both of us.

khonsu#2473 is my discord name

edit: it would also be best if you retrofit a extcan gateway, it can work without it but it makes things a little more difficult

Dalon

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 MKV Jetta TDI 1.9L - 210k 2013 Passat TDI - 27k
it is somewhat documented, best bet would be to join the 3 openpilot discords. the official comma ai one, the community one, and retropilot

for this hobby i have learned you pay to play, if you want the easiest no fuss install youll pay for it. buy a comma 3 from comma.ai and select the "J533 harness"

this harness will go under the dash and plug into the canbus gateway. once this is done you will need VCDS to code LKAS on in the EPS module.

it wont control gas or brake for right now, i am working on fixing this with a custom module

if you buy a comma 3, i can help you get it installed and get it running. if you decide to take the cheaper route of buying one of the cheap china kits, then i can help guide you through the install but you will be mostly on your own for getting the software running.

i have some old branches of the software i used to run on the china kits, so i can send that stuff to you but i havent looked at it much less used it in more than a year so itll be a learning experience for the both of us.

edit: it would also be best if you retrofit a extcan gateway, it can work without it but it makes things a little more difficult
Hey I friended you on discord, unknowninput….had some questions

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
A 2.5" (63mm or 65mm) aluminum hose joiner works perfect to connect that malone tip elbow to the factory accordion hose.

To pose a thought provoking comment on your extra crankcase vent...
By venting to the ground, you're introducing regular atmospheric air pressure into your crankcase via that tube, vs a vacuum source (less pressure than atmosphere)...like the turbo inlet ;)

lemoncurd

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 CJAA GTB2266
By venting to the ground, you're introducing regular atmospheric air pressure into your crankcase via that tube, vs a vacuum source (less pressure than atmosphere)...like the turbo inlet
true..... ill have to think about this

the vacuum pump dumps the air into the crank so the crank is basically always positive pressure, venting to atmosphere just makes it net 0

if i put it into the intake it would cause somewhat of a suction to happen. the current solution is likely fine for this application

coolusername

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI

That's fascinating, thank you. Definitely seems within my skillset to retrofit something like this, following your lead. I may end up asking for your help down the line, but currently I'm not quite in the proper position for this.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
true..... ill have to think about this

the vacuum pump dumps the air into the crank so the crank is basically always positive pressure, venting to atmosphere just makes it net 0

if i put it into the intake it would cause somewhat of a suction to happen. the current solution is likely fine for this application
vac pump doesn't flow a lot when compared to piston ring, valve guide, and turbo blowby
the slight vacuum caused by the intake piping, MAF and air filter is often enough to make the turbo's compressor side seal breathe backwards with atmospheric crankcase venting, if you find oil in your compressor discharge piping that's where it's coming from
when I saw the line coming from your oil cap my thought was that it was far too small to be doing much of anything, but w/e so long as the stock ones open to atmosphere too you aren't gonna hurt anything

I've been running mine atmospheric, just a piece of 1" hose flopped into a gallon antifreeze jug to catch the drips
after breaking a couple piston rings and having a gallon jug full of oil both times I can see how a lot of runaway engines get their start

lemoncurd

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 CJAA GTB2266
That's fascinating, thank you. Definitely seems within my skillset to retrofit something like this, following your lead. I may end up asking for your help down the line, but currently I'm not quite in the proper position for this.
certainly! friend and PM me on discord, or start a convo here and ill help where i can

it seems intimidating but it isnt a huge project once you dig in. when i started i didnt understand how canbus worked, how to program, or how these cars really worked. now i am somewhat of a subject expert for PQ era VW's with this stuff lol

on another note, i timed the 0-60 time with the new turbo, 6.6 seconds and i spun until 45mph!
this was with launch control
i reckon with better tires, and not these all season minivan michelin defenders i have now, i can crack into the 5's. and with all my other go fast parts installed + awd i could crack into the 4's

other go fast parts may include but not limited to:
CKRA intercooler, CKRA intake manifold, CP3, bigger fuel pressure sensor, injectors, headstuds, oil coolers, and water meth

lemoncurd

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 CJAA GTB2266
New TIP fitted, and routed the CCV to atmosphere. Eventually I'll install a Kerma intake so I can get more room by the battery, then I'll put a catch can there so I can capture the oil. Cannot take the car onto the track with it dumping to atmosphere for obvious reasons

I need to clean up my N75 vacuum line routing, but it works right now and there are no kinks