GM 3800 question

TurbinePower

Veteran Member
TDI
None
GM 3800 question -Solved

So, since it seems that the 3800 has many proponents, advocates and supporters here, might be a good place to ask.

Co-worker of mine has an Olds Delta 88, 3800 automatic. Not the best of condition, but serviceable and quite reliable.

We were setting up to do a fairly routine maintenance this weekend, plugs since they're almost worn out and an oil change, when his AC compressor seized up. Even getting a good grip on it won't budge it, and running the engine is accompanied by a delightful burning rubber smell after a few moments.

He doesn't have the cash to replace the compressor right now, so we're looking at swapping the belt out for a shorter one to cut the AC out of the loop until he can afford it. Anyone have a length we need to look for to do this? Is it even possible, or is the AC compressor fairly integral to belt routing?

I can't remember the belt layout at the moment, but I just thought of that possibility.

Help's greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

MrMopar

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none
I don't know of any recent GM vehicle equipped with a 3800 V-6 that does not have A/C, so I'm not sure that a routing exists to eliminate the A/C from the accessory drive. Still, ask an auto parts store if they have any belts listed in their computer. It seems logical that somewhere deep inside the engineering division at GM, there is a good engineer that had foresight enough to think that there may come a time when a 3800 needs to be run without the A/C compressor - and they might just list a part for such an application.

speed185187

Veteran Member
TDI
Case 580 Super M,
When you go to the parts counter, just ask for the belt for the car w/o AC. They should have it in stock.

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
I haven't seen any 3800's without a compressor, so use a cloth tape measure or a cord to get the belt length you would need. Is it the compressor or the clutch that's seized up? If it's the compressor, pull the plug on the clutch and it should freewheel. If it's the clutch, they usually can be bought without the compressor.

catmandoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta gls tdi,91 2dr jetta gl n/a diesel
MrMopar said:
It seems logical that somewhere deep inside the engineering division at GM, there is a good engineer that had foresight enough to think that there may come a time when a 3800 needs to be run without the A/C compressor - and they might just list a part for such an application.
GM,logical and foresight do not belong in the same sentence!

TurbinePower

Veteran Member
TDI
None
El Dobro said:
I haven't seen any 3800's without a compressor, so use a cloth tape measure or a cord to get the belt length you would need. Is it the compressor or the clutch that's seized up? If it's the compressor, pull the plug on the clutch and it should freewheel. If it's the clutch, they usually can be bought without the compressor.
Hard to tell. The clutch itself isn't freewheeling like it should, so the belt is rubbing across that pulley. I guess that would make the clutch itself suspect rather than the compressor? I'll pull the plug off next time I'm over at his place and see if that freewheels.

Thanks folks!

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
If you pull the plug on the clutch and it doesn't spin freely then it's probably the clutch. A lot cheaper than replacing the whole compressor.

TurbinePower

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Well, took a while, but we've got him covered. It was definitely the compressor clutch. When I got belt tension off of it and removed the plate from the underside to get at it, the compressor pulley had almost 20mm of free play to it. Front/back, side/side, it was wobbling around like there wasn't a bearing underneath to support it!

Hit up a FLAPS, no go on the AC delete belt, but they sold what was listed as an "AC Bypass Pulley" that bolted on in place of the compressor. Just a plate with the pulley, $25. $20 for a new belt (That was too long, so we had to go back and swap it. 6PK2616 is what they gave us, 6PK2590 was on the engine already), and a bit of work and we're done. No more squealing or grinding or belt-burning.