Glowplug open circuit

WILSONATOR77

TDI
Passat 1.9
Hi my 08 vw Passat is running fine, and i plugged in my new vag reader and it come up with 3 fault codes 05658 glow plug cylinder 1 open circuit, 05660 glow plug cylinder 3 open circuit, 05661 cylinder 4 glow plug cylinder 4 open circuit.
Cleared codes and tried it again after a ride and it came up with the same 3 codes, is it likely that plugs have gone bad car miles 99876. ( but car starts and runs fine and NO engine management light)

Thhanks

Dave

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
First thing would be to pull the leads off the glow plugs and test the plugs themselves to see their condition. With glow plugs it can be either the plug itself, or sometimes it is just the connection between the plug and the little clip on the end that fastens to the plug.

If the plugs test OK, then you may want to consider that the harness will need replacement. Additionally, it may be the harness just needs to be pulled off then pressed back on. It is hard to say, really, without popping the hood and work on it.

If you do need to change out bad plugs, please do so carefully. Fine threads in aluminum can shear easily with too much torque. Look up the numbers, and make sure your torque wrench is correctly calibrated.

Cheers,

PH