Glow Plugs

dutchman

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Bora
I am wondering if it is easy to replace your own glow plugs on an A4 Jetta TDI?

I had one replaced at the stealer and now I get a CEL again so have to replace all of them. There are 10mm and 12 mm for sale which one do we have and what about the wiring harness?

Where is the best place to buy these glow plugs? (online)

jettajim

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Golf 6-spd, '12 Passat gasser:(
Dutch, it's a 2 minute job. I just changed one in my wife's TDI and one in mine. Some say you should replace all 4 at once but since it's so easy and fast, I just changed the bad ones.

I bought mine from Napa. I got the Champions because they were half the price--$11.50/Champion and $23/Bosch. If they only last half as long as Bosch, I'll be happy. BTW, one car has 54k and the other, 91k and this is the first time that either needed a plug.

About the 10mm or 12mm, I don't know what you mean. The nuts on the OEM Bosch were 10mm as were the Champions.

I doubt you need a harness but it's easy to diagnose. Check your plugs first by using an ohm meter. Look at the link that was mentioned earlier.

After you change the plug or harness, you have to clear the code. If you don't, the CEL will always come on. Find someone with a vag com in your area.

Oh, and don't listen to others that say you need to use all the same brand. That's hogwash. I compared the resistance between the Champion and Bosch plugs and they were identical.