Glow Plugs Flashing

carlh1984

TDI
1.9 TDI Golf
Sorry if this has been asked before but im new to this forum.

I was driving down the motorway this morning when i notice the words ENGINE WORKSHOP with also the glow plug light flashing.

Has Any one any idea of what this could be? how much it should cost to repair? an as im 80miles away from home will it get me home??

Thank you all in advance

Kind Regards
Carl

carlosmvp

TDI
GOLF TDI 2003 100 hp
carlh1984 said:
Sorry if this has been asked before but im new to this forum.

I was driving down the motorway this morning when i notice the words ENGINE WORKSHOP with also the glow plug light flashing.

Has Any one any idea of what this could be? how much it should cost to repair? an as im 80miles away from home will it get me home??

Thank you all in advance

Kind Regards
Carl
TRY TO REPLACE THE BRAKE LIGHTS.
ONCE, A FEW MOUNTHS AGO, I SUFFERED THE SAME, AND ONLY WAS THE THE BULBS OF THE BRAKE, IN THE TAILLIGHTS, THE BOTH BULBS WAS KO...
TRY IT!!!!
LUCK!!!
REGARDS.

Dave_D

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat Titanium Beige six speed manual & Jetta, 1999.5, Tornado Red
I would scan this with VAG-COM immediately as the flashing glowplug light in conjunction with the CEL can indicate a sensor failure of some sort and result in the engine running in a "limp-home" mode of some sort. I had this happen to me when the connection to my start-of-injection needle sensor on injector 3 came loose.

samspock

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat, 2005, Shadow Blue
My passat had that. It was the brake light switch. Vagcom will probably show that plus a false positive on the glow plug.

Nats_dad

TDI
2003 wagon
New brake light switch fixed flashing glow plug light

Hi Folks,

Dealer just replaced my brake light switch (under recall) and that stopped the flashing glow plug light - which had come on for the first time this morning. Thanks to all the TDI'ers for the good advice!

Uncle_Dave

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta TDI Wagon A4 Silver
Same thing here on the 4h of July.

Found the glass on both break lights was smashed. VW got all upset with me, I am not a mechanic. Has to have the problem check on there $400 computer. O Yes the car is SAFE to drive. Through the Big Dig?

Check the Break lights. VW does a bulb scan. If it sees both break lights are out, it wants to get your attention, BADLY. The glow plug indicator does not do much in July.