Glow plugs 101 ***Ver. 2.0***

RussR

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
Yes, very hard starting. Just seems as if the glow plugs aren’t staying on long enough for proper preheat. I’d look at other possible issue if I knew that the glow plugs were working correctly. -2 degrees and only 1-2 seconds just seems entirely inadequate.

NH2013Jetta

TDI
2013 Jetta Sedan TDI
Glow plug issues with 2013 TDI

Hi gang,
For the last six months (maybe more) I’ve been playing tag with a pair of trouble codes related to my Jetta’s glow plugs.one is code P0674 (glow plug heater cylinder four) and code P06C8 (Computer and Auxiliary Outputs). The dealer hasn’t exactly been a fountain of help just advising me to let the car warm up longer on the key before starting,
But the day of reckoning approaches because come June I need to go through state inspection and by definition any fault Code is an immediate failure.
So do I just purchase all the glow plugs and go for it? Do I worry about the wiring harnesses? Where can I get a harness for my TDI? Everything I have seen so far on this thread is earlier models. How much stays the same and what changes?
Thanks for any clues you can share.
FYI my OBD-II scanner is an older Action, so old it has a serial port. But it still works.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Can you try a different dealer (warranty?)? The codes indicate a possible relay or wire/connect issue. But you can start by testing the plugs, easy enough. Unplug the boots. Check resistance (ohms) on each plug right in place. Though it's a bit trickier, you can then check volts in each boot.
Disclaimer- Don't know the 2013, but I'm pretty sure the glow plug system is similar to all modern TDIs.

OlallaTDI

TDI
2005 VW Golf TDI Automatic // 2006 VW Jetta TDI Manual
I've read a ton of pages in this thread but don't see a specific answer to my question. In my 2005 Golf BEW I pulled out N10591609 glow plugs which are the ceramic 7v plugs. I assume that means my ECU was flashed when the 7v plugs were put in. Whenever I go to order new plugs, they keep giving me the 5v steel plugs (N10591607) or some variation of that. This time I went to the VW dealer with my VIN # and they still came up with the 5v plugs. Can I just run the 5v's or should I return these and get the 7v's? It has always been a good starting car, no matter the weather.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Daughters car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds

They have a 4 pack set at a bit of a savings also.

Midwesthick

Veteran Member
TDI
A6, Q5, Golf
Just bought a set of Bosch glow plugs and that little tool(gimmicky I’m sure but peace of mind) from IDParts. Keep getting P0674 code every other day or so.

I have a FrostHeater installed that I use daily now so that’s been nice. Just time to replace those old things. Previous owner installed a new harness already.

Elektricar

TDI
Audi 80 B4 1.9tdi
Hi guys, greetings from Croatia.

I have rough start issue, and rough idle for a few seconds.The problem is no power on glow plugs, they are ok, 1.2ohms on each. Relay checked(relay clicks after few seconds) working fine, all fuses are in working condinion. Do you have any idea?

Dan Grn

TDI
Sharan 1.9 TDI
Does anyone know where the relay and safety for incandescent spark plugs is? For a 1999 Sharan 1.9 TDI

No electricity reaches the glow plugs.
The temperature indicates it correctly, on the instr. cluster it indicates the spark plug sign kept lit.

If I put a wire from the glow plugs to the + battery, it starts immediately.

Otherwise it doesn't start in the cold.

I went to the service, but they didn't know what the relay and fuse was.
Unfortunately it is from 1999 and only after 2002 the relays were marked with 103 and 102.