glow plug lite blinking

jxb

TDI
2006 tdi jetta
2006 vw jetta 208k miles outside air temp 43f tried to start the glow plug lite blinking, would not even try to start no other warning lites on, ckd brake lites ok, no previous problems even with colder weather.

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
You need to have it scanned for codes. There are numerous causes for that MIL, many of which have nothing to do with the glow plug system. OBD2 might point you in the right direction, but a scan with VCDS would nail it down.

vol4til3

TDI
golf 4
Must be the brake light switch fail, or you replaced a brake bulb that is not 21W or BOTH your brake bulbs are dead.

jxb

TDI
2006 tdi jetta
No code shown, checked glow plugs with ohm meter, all read about .9 to
1.0 ohms, also checked voltage from harness read 5.9 to 6.0. Lite comes on steady for a few seconds then starts to blink and at that time the voltage readings go to zero. Is there a timer and where is it. fuses have been checked brake lites work normal as do the turn signals.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
As above, issue will have nothing to do with the glow plugs... flashing light just means the ECU has detected a "FIX ME NOW" issue. Brake circuit problem, injection pump problem, accelerator pedal, potentially glow plug relay itself... there's 20+ possibilities unfortunately.

You'll need to track down a VW-specific code reader... the code will be there, just not accessible with a generic OBD2 scanner.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Here is a list of most of those 20 or so things Vince tells about.

The most probable cause would be related to your brakes

Flashing glow plug light

The flashing glow plug is sort of a super "check engine light". It flashes when the ECU detects that certain very important components are out of spec.

Per a post by MoGolf, the codes that cause a flashing glow plug light are below.

00741 Brake pedal monitoring - implausible signal
01044 Control unit incorrectly coded
16705/P0321 Engine speed sensor - implausible signal
16706/P0322 Engine speed sensor - no signal
16955/P0571 Brake light switch (F) - implausible signal
17653/P1245 Needle lift sender (G80) - short to earth
17654/P1246 Needle lift sender (G80) - Implausible signal
17655/P1247 Needle lift sender (G80) - Open circuit/short to positive
17762/P1354 Modulating piston movement sender (G149) - electrical fault in current circuit
17969/P1561 Metering adjuster (N146) - control difference
17978/P1570 Engine control unit blocked
18020/P1612 Control unit incorrectly coded
18026/P1618 Glow plug relay (J52) - short to positive
18027/P1619 Glow plug relay (J52) - open circuit/short to earth
18040/P1632 Accelerator position sender - voltage supply

jxb

TDI
2006 tdi jetta
As expected the glow plug harness fell apart,. and the glow plugs are the original, so I will change both, is there a vw code reader I can buy for a reasonable amount.

jxb

TDI
2006 tdi jetta
As above, issue will have nothing to do with the glow plugs... flashing light just means the ECU has detected a "FIX ME NOW" issue. Brake circuit problem, injection pump problem, accelerator pedal, potentially glow plug relay itself... there's 20+ possibilities unfortunately.

You'll need to track down a VW-specific code reader... the code will be there, just not accessible with a generic OBD2 scanner.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Reasonable? The Ross Tech VCDS is the most cost effective full function scan tool for your car.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Most other manufacturers propriety scan tools run several thousand dollars often with a monthly subscription on top of the purchase price that will be 2 hundred or more per month. Ross-tech vcds is very reasonable.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
OP if the issue was the glow plugs themselves you would have a solid Check Engine light and a 380 code that your generic scanner would be able to see. :)

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Most other manufacturers propriety scan tools run several thousand dollars often with a monthly subscription on top of the purchase price that will be 2 hundred or more per month. Ross-tech vcds is very reasonable.
Yep - you're not going to do much better than VCDS. If you're going to own a 10+yr. old car for any significant length of time, this will pay for itself in year one, almost for sure.

STDOUBT

Veteran Member
TDI
dos jettas
As expected the glow plug harness fell apart,. and the glow plugs are the original, so I will change both, is there a vw code reader I can buy for a reasonable amount.
You said the glow plugs are all ohm'ing withing 0.1 of each other? and they are all about 0.9?
Don't change them, they're fine!
Plugs should all be between 0.5 and 1.5 ohms, and within 0.2 - 0.3 ohms of each other.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Here’s a guy on this forum selling a vcds. After you get rid of your car you can usually get at least half of the purchase price back by selling it. I have an older unlimited vin cable, I paid $249 or $299 I don’t recall. I could probably get close to $200 if I put it up for sale today. The residual value of a vcds is quite good.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
2006 vw jetta 208k miles outside air temp 43f tried to start the glow plug lite blinking, would not even try to start no other warning lites on, ckd brake lites ok, no previous problems even with colder weather.
Please clarify "would not even try to start"
Did the starter work and the engine crank over?
Do you hear the fuel pump in the tank running for a few seconds?
Scanning for codes to diagnose it should be cheaper then throwing guessing at it parts.

As mentioned above, did you check if both brake lights are working?
I had that cause the GP light to blink.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
Hoards of excellent advice for the OP and a list of possibilities as to why the GP light is flashing as well as a good reference on an OBD port code reader.... Heed the advice! And, I agree 100%, the GPs are fine. The broken up GP harness is fine too! The harness on my 03 is OE and has the broken plastic with pieces missing ! It's function is fine! .... but, I do understand peace of mind!

jxb

TDI
2006 tdi jetta
Please clarify "would not even try to start"
Did the starter work and the engine crank over?
Do you hear the fuel pump in the tank running for a few seconds?
Scanning for codes to diagnose it should be cheaper then throwing guessing at it parts.

As mentioned above, did you check if both brake lights are working?
I had that cause the GP light to blink.
Engine turned over normally, tail lites are working normally, heard fuel pump work,

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
To be clear, it is not "tail lights" ........... it is the Brake Lights. The left and right brake lights are monitored by the ECU and the upper in the window light is not monitored by the ECU.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
^^^^ Have your wife or a helper step on the brake pedal while you watch for brake lights. No brake lights equal flashing glow plug light.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
I had posted earlier that it may have been brake lights. But that ain't right, would not cause no start.
Assume all was well before this condition.
A good code scan is going to help. But you also can check things over for loose plugins or piping, blown fuses, crispy wires, etc.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
is there a vw code reader I can buy for a reasonable amount.
VCDS Lite is free to use but has a few functions not enabled.
For reading codes it will work.

Do you have a laptop and an OBD cable to use?
The hard part is finding a cable that will work correctly.
The USB cables may not work.

Maybe someone here can post which one they bought that works.

Check: Ross-Tech: VCDS-Lite: Download (ross-tech.com)

noob_tl

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 NB

jxb

TDI
2006 tdi jetta
I have the car in a shop now and have been told the tank lift pump pressure is low 5 psi, what I have read is that a pressure of 5 to 7 psi is normal, the car will run using an alternative fuel supply for a short period of time until the fuel runs out, this shop has been very good but vw tdi may be too much for them all I can think of now is the dealer maybe somebody can give me a better idea.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
5 psi is fine for that car... it just needs to get the fuel to the tandem pump that does all the actual work... and in fact many BEW owners have a dead lift pump (0 psi) and don't even know it unless they for some reason lose prime. Won't cause a flashing glow plug.

You really really really need to find a shop that can scan the car with a VW-specific scanner. The car knows what's wrong and is trying to tell you. :)

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
I have the car in a shop now and have been told the tank lift pump pressure is low 5 psi, what I have read is that a pressure of 5 to 7 psi is normal, the car will run using an alternative fuel supply for a short period of time until the fuel runs out, this shop has been very good but vw tdi may be too much for them all I can think of now is the dealer maybe somebody can give me a better idea.
Any shop to diagnose and fix this will have at the very least a VCDS (or equal) device. Though not necessary for fuel delivery, you need to find out what's up with the blinking.