Glow plug light

bulletmoose

TDI
2012 Jetta 6MT Malone 1.5 ST Coils
I got a 2012 jetta TDI with 28k miles and my glow plug light is flashing. I haven't got a chance to pull codes, and without codes you can't tell what's wrong. But what have people seen as the problem ?

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Highline Touareg TDI
your not suppose to drive it when it flashes...its a major issue if the glow plug light flashes

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Highline Touareg TDI
VW Mk6 glow plugs warning light - the glow plugs dash light has dual meaning, so be sure you read this carefully.

CONSTANT - if the light remains on and constant, it means a fault in the glow plug system. You should not start the engine until this light has turned off, and will generally take a few seconds longer to turn off in colder conditions.

FLASHING - if the glow plug light is flashing it means there is a fault in the engine management system and needs to be diagnosed & fixed accordingly

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
On a new car, the glow plug light flashing indicates a serious engine malfunction. Possibilities include, but are not limited to, a failed turbocharger and a failed high pressure fuel pump. It could be any number of things, so step one is to scan with VCDS and find out what it is unhappy about.

bulletmoose

TDI
2012 Jetta 6MT Malone 1.5 ST Coils
I forgot to give an update... After I pulled codes it was P045F EGR Intermittent stuck closed. After I cleared the codes and restarted the car I haven't seen any other lights

TDIx2

Veteran Member
Saginaw Mi ~ looking out for deer and dangerous pe
TDI
2014 Jetta
On a new car, the glow plug light flashing indicates a serious engine malfunction. Possibilities include, but are not limited to, a failed turbocharger and a failed high pressure fuel pump. It could be any number of things, so step one is to scan with VCDS and find out what it is unhappy about.
On my 2011 Jetta it meant the barometric pressure sensor was on the fritz.

nivlasol

TDI
2012 2.0L CR140
my light GP light is flashing and CEL are on. codes that popped up was the same code 2x at exactly the same time interval. after scanning it turns out its my EGT sensor port 1 is faulty.
apparently there are a lot of different meanings to this mysterious flashing GP light haha

sloinker

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Sportwagen '15 Golf Hatch
If your rubber hoses to the intercooler pop off because you improperly installed the clamp(s). When the turbo boosts it will come apart and the glow plug CEL will flash.

jcarroll11

TDI
2014 JSW
Recently had the blinking coil happen to me. It would only come on when idling at a light. I could get it to stop if I revved above 1200 RPM and let it drop back down. Check engine light was on with these codes
P00AF & P2563.
Pulled the cover off and heard a hissing sound. Located a split in the Vacuum hose at the nipple. Got some 2 sided tape from autoparts store, wrapped the hose, cleared the codes and now runs like its supposed to.
Now to find a vacuum hose, which I am struggling to find. Anyone the part number or an alternative?