glow plug light stays lit but dim.

rhino89523

TDI
1997 Passat
OK so a bit of a frankenstein, I put the dash out of a VR6 car because mine was a dead soldier. Everything seems to work but a few things are out of order/calibration. The tach is off as people said it would be. The Glow plug light is in the position of the CEL. The glow plug light lights up as normal, car starts, drives and runs fine but this morning I noticed that the glow plug light actually stays lit, it is super dim, you cant really tell it is lit in full sunshine but it stays dimmly lit the whole time you are driving the car.

Any Ideas?

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Are the glow plugs getting volts? What volts is the light receiving? Sounds like you have a short in a wire and it's getting volts when nothing is happening.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
I had this same occurrence, but with the oil pressure light. Swapped the cluster in different cars and it stayed the same. It was definitely a cluster issue, but I never figured it out. It was sold to someone who was in desperate need.

-Todd

Almost1

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 B4 Sedan
Mine had this issue, but it was with a cluster appropriate to the car. It would light fine during startup, but then go dim with occasional blips of full brightness. I ended up taking the cluster out and re flowing the joints while replacing the power caps. After that it glowed continuously telling me the joints for the LED were bad, and coincidentally had a glow plug code for my brake light switch causing it to try and light. Try scanning to see if you have a fault.