glow plug light flashing

logskidder

TDI
passat
2012 Passat TDI 47400 miles.
This morning my wife was taking the kids to school on here morning commute and the glow plug light started flashing about a mile into it the trio from start up. The car started to spit and sputter and lost power. She immediately called me about the problem. After a quick search, I told to shut it off and restart. She restarted and the light stopped. It however started to make a bad hissing sound when fuel was applied when she got going again. Got home from work and drove the car. Upon initial start up soon as I pulled out it missed about twice and then ran fine, but still has the hissing noise. No codes or lights on. Doesnt seem to have lost power. Not sure what the problem is. Going to contact the dealer tomorrow. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. :confused:

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Could be something as simple as a loose charge intake pipe, or a bigger problem like a blown turbo.

Check around for loose plumbing under the hood, check all of the clamps on the charge air pipes, etc. If you have VCDS, scan for codes and see what the problem is.

Or take it into the dealer. If the engine is down on power or you aren't comfortable driving it, then have it towed. Definitely have it towed if you have an extended warranty or AAA, as it isn't worth the risk to drive it if there's an unidentified problem.

vw_norm

Gone, but not forgotten.
TDI
2012 NMS TDI SEL Platinum Gray w/moonrock
Does the engine run OK, and in a repeatable fashion start the hissing noise at about the same RPM level? I had a split in the short hose right off the turbo that would release air at about 14 psi boost (per scan gage), repeatedly. No flashing lights tho. Replaced it with a quality 4 ply silicon hose as well as the one into the IC. Used a 2" radiator hose temporarily. The air release sounded like a compressor relief valve blowing. It was loud in the cabin with the windows up and was clearly coming from the engine bay. This is a pic of the bad hose. The split was on the horizontal so it wasn't seen from top or bottom. Had to remove it to really see the problem. Had to pull out the entire air filter and plumbing to access this. It's in kind of a tight place.

Last edited:

dzcad90

Rolex & gin
TDI
Jetta - 97 (RIP), '03 (Sold), '09
Hissing noises generally indicate a boost loss somewhere, and it's usually a hose or loose connector - this is a good thing. Way better than the alternate of a failed turbo.

NSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat
I had a flashing glow plug light this weekend past, then CEL, lost power. Blown turbo. Get it checked immediately, if not a hose, its the turbo. If its the turbo, it can do a lot of damage if it blows up. Can you hear anything at idle with the hood up?

Don

logskidder

TDI
passat
Does the engine run OK, and in a repeatable fashion start the hissing noise at about the same RPM level? I had a split in the short hose right off the turbo that would release air at about 14 psi boost (per scan gage), repeatedly. No flashing lights tho. Replaced it with a quality 4 ply silicon hose as well as the one into the IC. Used a 2" radiator hose temporarily. The air release sounded like a compressor relief valve blowing. It was loud in the cabin with the windows up and was clearly coming from the engine bay. This is a pic of the bad hose. The split was on the horizontal so it wasn't seen from top or bottom. Had to remove it to really see the problem. Had to pull out the entire air filter and plumbing to access this. It's in kind of a tight place.

Got a chance to check the car closer today. Checked the hose you indicated in the pic, while my wife revved the engine. Indeed there was an air loss on the hose. Got everything removed to get to it and found it was split the same as the pic. Picking up a new silicone hose tomorrow. Hopefully this was the cause of the flashing light. Also while I was removing the airbox I noticed that the air duct from the radiator support has a round hole in it and an arrow printed on the duct. Should this hole be open or does it supposed to have a plug of some sort? Thanks for all the help.

vw_norm

Gone, but not forgotten.
TDI
Interesting that you had the defect in the same place. It would seem to be caused when the body and drivetrain are mated in the factory. I don't know how else the hose can fail on the outer aspect unless it got dragged across something when assembled. It it was a material defect, then it could occur anywhere. When I tested mine, I couldn't get it to blow just by reving. I had to drive and build the boost pressure to make it blow. Your's must be really torn up. I didn't have any error codes or GP lights when this occurred.

TDI2000Zim

Veteran Member
TDI
VW hat meinen '14 Passat TDiSE getötet.
Interesting that you had the defect in the same place. It would seem to be caused when the body and drivetrain are mated in the factory. I don't know how else the hose can fail on the outer aspect unless it got dragged across something when assembled. It it was a material defect, then it could occur anywhere. When I tested mine, I couldn't get it to blow just by reving. I had to drive and build the boost pressure to make it blow. Your's must be really torn up. I didn't have any error codes or GP lights when this occurred.
There must be Gremlins at the factory

logskidder

TDI
passat
Got the hose, ready to reassembly this afternoon. Hoping the turbo is not blown.

I noticed that the air duct from the radiator support has a round hole in it and an arrow printed on the duct. Should this hole be open or does it supposed to have a plug of some sort?

peterwinkle

TDI
2012 Passat SE
Got the hose, ready to reassembly this afternoon. Hoping the turbo is not blown.
You would probably know if the turbo was blown, it's not very driveable without the turbo. Hopefully a hose replacement is all it needs, good luck!

FormerOwner

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6spd; Former Owner 02 MkIV wagon
You should be fine with a replacement hose. Clear your codes (if any exist~ can't remember if you had any). Drive normally.

broadspring

TDI
2012 Vw passat tdi
I had same thing occur tonight, I actually had to turn around and go get my 99 mercury mountaineer w/ 247k miles on it. we left on trip to PA for a tournament and hissing noise occurred at about same rpm. about 45 min into trip glow plug light started blinking, turned car off waited and drove at 60 mph and made back home to switch. I couldn't wait to get to hotel to check club forum, and sure enough a possible solution. I will have to wait til Monday to look at vw. sounds like exact problem and just went over the 36k currently at 36580.
where can I get a hose? any auto parts store

btw haven't been around sight since my last 1996 Passat tdi was totaled in 2009, but still the greatest.

vw_norm

Gone, but not forgotten.
TDI
I had same thing occur tonight, I actually had to turn around and go get my 99 mercury mountaineer w/ 247k miles on it. we left on trip to PA for a tournament and hissing noise occurred at about same rpm. about 45 min into trip glow plug light started blinking, turned car off waited and drove at 60 mph and made back home to switch. I couldn't wait to get to hotel to check club forum, and sure enough a possible solution. I will have to wait til Monday to look at vw. sounds like exact problem and just went over the 36k currently at 36580.
where can I get a hose? any auto parts store
btw haven't been around sight since my last 1996 Passat tdi was totaled in 2009, but still the greatest.
I had about 23K miles on mine when it split. I used a 2" radiator hose I got at O'Reilly's at first after cutting a piece off of it. You can see the hose (Gates 20611) in the background of the pic above. The OEM hose is molded with a slight bend in it. I ordered some 4-ply silicone hoses from Ebay to replace both OEM hoses - turbo out to pipe and pipe to IC inlet. The OEM hose appears to be only single ply. Cheap and weak. I got one of these for the turbo outlet - 2" to 2" 45* angle hose for the IC inlet: http://www.ebay.com/itm/261284381442 and one of these 2.25" to 2.25" 90* hose: http://www.ebay.com/itm/251188057771?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649.
Each were not 'perfect' fits, had to trim the turbo out hose a bit (was too long) and the OEM IC inlet hose is not a perfect 90*, so it took a bit of work to fit it. With the air intake duct out of the way, I was able to install both from the top. You should install the IC inlet from underneath - it'll be easier. No issues in 4K miles since installing.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e

I noticed that the air duct from the radiator support has a round hole in it and an arrow printed on the duct. Should this hole be open or does it supposed to have a plug of some sort?

I noticed the same hole. I'm pretty sure it is supposed to be like that.

vw_norm

Gone, but not forgotten.
TDI
Is it a water drain?
If you are referring to the largish hole on the back side (facing engine) in the depression in the tube #18, I don't think it is a water drain. More like a tempering air inlet to admit engine compartment air. #11 is the water drain tube that goes into the space behind the left fog light. The air has to move upwards in the filter box through grill #5, so any moisture is going to loose out to gravity.

Here's a pic of the silicone hose I installed before trimming to size.

And after trimming:

Last edited:

r11

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE 6MT (BB'd), 2015 Passat TDI SE 6MT
Seems to be a very common failure on 2012+ TDIs.

Symptom: loud air hissing/wooshing sounds from engine bay when stepping on gas (you WILL hear from the cabin), anemic-feeling car.

Made a video. Did the repair, saved $$$
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvr8c4896Mc

Used Dayco 71727 to cut out a section to replace the ruptured hose.

To make the hose nice and ez to put on, heat it up with hair dryer.
Lube inside with a bit of oil

Since you disconnect and then reconnect the battery, you might get a code or two show up, but they will go away as soon as you drive the car.