GLOW PLUG LIGHT FLASHING; NO TURBO BOOST 2012 sportwagen tdi cjaa engine auto trans

bowlingjeff

TDI
2012 sportwagen cjaa engine
starts normally; but glow plug light flashes and turbo does not boost. If I clear the codes, the turbo boosts normally but comes back shortly. Was told needs engine wiring harness and there is a service bulletin for free replacement on 2012 sportwagen. Of course, service manager wants to charge a fortune - said $500 (3 hrs labor) just to check the wiring pins when $200 buys new harness. Has anyone else had this problem because the parts manager says it is very common.

DrGERTol

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf Variant (JSW) 6MT
Not here ('11 JSW 6MT). I assume your extended emissions warranty (if you had one) is expired/ended ? --g

2012jsw

TDI
2012 jsw, 2010 jsw
starts normally; but glow plug light flashes and turbo does not boost. If I clear the codes, the turbo boosts normally but comes back shortly. Was told needs engine wiring harness and there is a service bulletin for free replacement on 2012 sportwagen. Of course, service manager wants to charge a fortune - said $500 (3 hrs labor) just to check the wiring pins when $200 buys new harness. Has anyone else had this problem because the parts manager says it is very common.
I just went through a very similar issue with mine. I’ve got a thread about it. “Heavy surge under light acceleration at 60-70” or something. Along those lines

What’s your code? Sounds like you go into limp mode and can’t really hold more than 40-50mph right?

My_name_is_Rob

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 A4 Quattro
I had something similar when I first bought my mk6 and it turned out to be a vacuum leak. The brakes weren't biting as hard as they should have so I traced the lines from the vacuum pump, and the one leading to the brake booster had a significant hole worn through on the bottom of it. It was a pain to find without pressure testing, but doable.

MrCypherr

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk6 Wagon
Post the codes youre getting so we can kinda give you more info and guide you in the right direction.

bowlingjeff

TDI
was told that it needs main engine wiring harness. Cost $200 plus labor. Parts manager at Kingston NY Volkswagen told us that there was a bulletin on this and it was a free repair. But the service manager wants nothing to do with that - he told me 3 hours x $137/hr to check the pins on the harness and NO Warranty or free repair. So I said; you want to spend $400 and fix nothing - just for diagnosis? when we think the part is $200 His name is Andre and is not the right person for service manager when he offers NO service. I will try to find the bulletin about free repair and update

2012jsw

TDI
2012 jsw, 2010 jsw
was told that it needs main engine wiring harness. Cost $200 plus labor. Parts manager at Kingston NY Volkswagen told us that there was a bulletin on this and it was a free repair. But the service manager wants nothing to do with that - he told me 3 hours x $137/hr to check the pins on the harness and NO Warranty or free repair. So I said; you want to spend $400 and fix nothing - just for diagnosis? when we think the part is $200 His name is Andre and is not the right person for service manager when he offers NO service. I will try to find the bulletin about free repair and update
Well either way, you haven’t helped us to help you. So here’s what I know, I had what sounds like the exact same issue…but since you haven’t posted the code that you say you have cleared we’re not sure. So, under the dieselgate warranty Vw replaced my engine wiring harness because there was high resistance on some of the wires that changed when the wires were moved by hand. Not sure which ones. Engine harness was replaced and I’ve put on like 10k miles without a hiccup.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
FFS... POST your actual codes and info if you want help.
You're more than likely still under dieselgate fix and it will be covered by the warranty.
When was your car fixed?

bowlingjeff

TDI
Thank you , thank you - I did not report the codes because my VAG hand held was not giving me anything to report; and when I took it to a shop - he only told me to replace the wiring harness and that is was a free repair but did not give me the codes as I was just moving it to the dealer. Now I wish I had asked and written them down. I will try to get them - probably monday as closed today