Glow plug light, and sounds like a loud vacuum

Hayter

TDI
2009 Jetta
Was getting on the fwy today, and the car on acceleration immediately dropped the power, and sounded like someone had turned on a Dyson vacuum that was stuck.

The glow plug light was flashing, car wouldnt go over 40 unless I manually shifted it (tiptronic), and sounds like a high pitched vacuum was running under the hood.

Anyone have an idea as to what it could be, and how much its going to cost me? /facepalm

Last edited:

nord

Veteran Member
TDI
All turned back to VW. Now a 2017 Hundai Tuscon. Not a single squalk in 10k miles.
Your turbo is likely in failure. Depending on the degree of failure you may have anything from very minor damage to shrapnel and oil in both the charge air and exhaust sides. I'd be inclined NOT to drive the car further as your chances of major damage will increase dramatically.

Cost? Everything depends upon the amount of damage and whether you're still under warranty. The turbo could possibly be the least of your worries if you're unlucky. On the other hand it might be the major expense save for the labor involved in replacing the unit and cleaning the system.

Don't forget the oil feed and return lines when you tackle the job. If your turbo seals have been compromised, then there's a fair chance that your lubrication system is contaminated.

Last edited:

N.CaTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
I blew a turbo line to the cooler off and that is what it sounded like but clearly look at turbo and lines. Agree best to look before you drive maybe a lot or a little.

Hayter

TDI
2009 Jetta
Yup, complete turbo failure. 3500 to repair. **** this car, and **** VW. I'm so done. This is only 2 months after a complete HFP failure.

*grumbles and cusses*

Your turbo is in failure. Depending on the degree of failure you may have anything from very minor damage to shrapnel and oil in both the charge air and exhaust sides. I'd be inclined NOT to drive the car further as your chances of major damage will increase dramatically.

Cost? Everything depends upon the amount of damage and whether you're still under warranty. The turbo could possibly be the least of your worries if you're unlucky. On the other hand it might be the major expense save for the labor involved in replacing the unit and cleaning the system.

Don't forget the oil feed and return lines when you tackle the job. If your turbo seals have been compromised, then there's a fair chance that your lubrication system is contaminated.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Enough with the doom and gloom already.

A blown turbo would not make sounds like you describe. More likely you have a boost leak. Check your charge air pipes.

Lee_Taylor

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A3 1.4 COD
I agree with Ol'Rattler I would check your intake plumbing before consigning the turbo to the scrap pile.

Andy_2009_JSW

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen TDI (DSG)[SOLD BACK], 2012 Golf 2.5L Gasser (5MT), 2017 Alltrack S (6MT)
Yup, complete turbo failure. 3500 to repair. **** this car, and **** VW. I'm so done. This is only 2 months after a complete HFP failure.

*grumbles and cusses*
Ugh. Been there, done that turbo thing (see my .sig). First/closest dealer to where it failed wanted $3000; had it towed to my primary dealer and they charged $2500. Glow plugs flashing, limp mode, sounded like a scalded bat out of hell once above 1500 rpm or so. I'd have expected both dealers could have and would have diagnosed something else if it wasn't the actual turbo.

Saw your other post in the HPFP failure thread -- at least glad to hear they covered all the repair/replacement costs even on a 2009. But you've only got 80K-ish miles on it; most of us with 2009's have much more, not sure if they'd cover it on those.

So my turbo failed at 80K miles. You can't be too far from that miles-wise, right? Probably just coincidence... :confused:

DidJettarun

Veteran Member
TDI
A5 2005.5 Jetta A4 2003 Jetta
New turbos cost half what you guys are quoting...use the site and learn how to change it yourself...not a difficult repair...Sounds like a boost leak more than a blown turbo. Order some kroil and spray on the bolts/studs for several days and change the turbo or attend a GTG where some gurus will be attending and get help while you do it. I would also get a VCDS cable and log some data. Run the motor and trace the source of the hiss. Also check the vacuum lines to the turbo controller and the controller itself. Is the actuator line moving freely when the line is connected to a mityvac and vacuum is applied to the line?