glow plug heartaches

AlexP

So a while back the dealer replaced the glow plug relay. I was getting the intermittent 16764, and was resetting it with vag-com and it would stay gone for a month or so and then come back. New relay changed nothing.

Now a careful check revealed a failed glow plug. Replaced all 4 on theory that they wear together. Now CEL light is out. But car is really hard to start. Does not appear to be voltage at #1 & #3. Looking at vag-com meas block 12 the glow period is 0 ?? Seems to be getting correct coolant temp. And the bits that i see are not in the labels file??? Unable to navigate my way in bentley to desciption of block 12 to find meaning of bits. when first turn key have 01010000 and later have 11000000. Then after engine starts standard post glow bit setting.

Anyone have any thoughts before I go buy ANOTHER relay??

Thanks
Alex

PeterV

TDIClub Enthusiast, HO5G Doyen & Zen Master
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
Year of the car there are fixes if we knew that.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
I would suggest replacing the wiring harness for the glow plugs.

PeterV

TDIClub Enthusiast, HO5G Doyen & Zen Master
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
MOGolf is right. The older harnesses used disimmilar metals on the contact area. There is a resistance build up that limits the effectiveness of the harness. A new one can be gotten from Impex. I have replaced 8 of them in the past 2 years here in the Northeast.

AlexP

New one on order from Impex. Thanks. Any tricks I need to know to install? I remember reading about heat shrink tubing etc.

Thanks again
Alex

aburchell44

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 TDI Wagon For Sale
I simply unplugged then harness from the GPs, spliced the two wires for the harness. Twisted several times to get a good connection. It shut out the CEL, and it starts better then before.