Glow plug harness instructions

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
The BEW replacement harness is not a plug and play from what I've seen on a vendor's web site. You will have to cut the old wires and attach the new harness wires in their place from what I understand. How you do it is totally up to you.

liverebel

TDI
2002 VW Jetta
VW has a TSB telling their tech never to use solder on a harness. Solder is for PC boards, not wiring.
I've not only used solder on my car for repairs but also for custom wiring a 36V power wheels for my kids. Those things endure much harder wear and conditions then a vehicle and Ive never had one break. But I sure have burned up some gold plated crimps...Buy good wire, buy silver solder, learn the technique (there is a huge area for human error), and make it a good connection. Im sure someone can back me up with a link to a factual page regarding how solder connections can carry more voltage with less resistance. Also from a weatherproofing standpoint, heatshrink over a clean solder joint seems to everyone (well reasonable people) to seal better from the elements.

Why someone would advise an individual versed with soldering to NOT solder the connection up is insane to me. Those glow plug harnesses are simply cheap wire with a female 14-16g butt splice on the end. Cut the wires, run new wire, Solder the joints and heatshrink then as well, put some female 14-16g ends on the lines, clearly label them and profit. How could this not work?

GTDI4

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2002, Black
Not sure what glowplug harness you are buying but the ones I have replaced (4 wire) plug right into a connector near the drivers side lower front windshield. If your are doing an ALH there is zero reason to crimp or solder anything, just run the whole harness under the battery holder where it routes up to the connector. You just remove the air filter box and battery w/cover. Then wrap the new harness with one of those coiled plastic wraps. I got a set of 4 Bosch ALH glow plugs and a new harness from idparts for $109.
on my 2002 A4 GP harness plug did not match the the drivers side lower front windshield one. It match a plug to the left of the battery(looking at the battery lower left).Was that the right one?

ECUshockguy

TDI
2004 Jetta
I've had bad glow plug CEL codes for over a year now, but its finally gotten to the point where my 04 BEW won't start. I tested the plugs and they are all fine so went ahead and ordered the glow plug harness as I see some cracks in mine anyways. I was surprised to see that it has no 4 connector plug on the end, just the wiring. I've gone through the several tutorials on this forum and they all start out strong but none really show the final steps (particularly installation all the way to the battery).

The best video I have found for a BEW so far is this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBpS64cJLko

I plan to go this route but thought I would post first before proceeding.