Glow plug harness help

GTDI4

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2002, Black
2002 Golf 201,000 miles,
Had a code 1 glow plug. The harness fell apart when taking it off. So I replaced it (the 4wire with a connector) and all the glow plugs while apart.
Now it is showing codes for all 4 plugs and also the battery light is lit on the dash but no code on the vag-com.
Ok what did I do wrong?

muzy

Veteran Member
TDI
02 jetta TDI
Might not be glow plugs now. Just did mine last week. All my wires in that Chanel were friction taped together.not at all like dyi videio. Perhaps you damaged other wires? I know that I consider it lucky that I did not. Lots of cutting to get old one out.

JimsR6

TDI
MK6 GTI. MK3 Jetta TDI. 2013 Yamaha R6
Sounds like it may be a charging system issue. Check your alternator output.
Also double check you did the install correctly and left nothing unplugged. Likely there were more wires in that area that were as brittle as the glow plug wires. Good idea to check the alternator connections.

Last edited:

GTDI4

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2002, Black
Sounds like it may be a charging system issue. Check your alternator output.
Also double check you did the install correctly and left nothing unplugged. Likely there were more wires in that area that were as brittle as the glow plug wires. Good idea to check the alternator connections.
The alt is running at 13.5 at the battery. I didn't mess with any of the the wires, .I cover the new wires and disconnected the old harness and plug in the new one (looking at the battery the plug was at the lower left of it.The plug did not match the plug at drivers side lower front windshield.

It is a vw part the old plug was number the same new one .I left the old harness unpluged in place and by pass it with the new one.

JimsR6

TDI
Try back tracking and replacing the plugs back to the way they were. Perhaps you have them plugged into the wrong places.

hughesjasonk

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta MK4;
I would also check to see if the harness is fully seated to on to the plugs. also since you changed the glow plugs are you sure that you put in the right ones?

GTDI4

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2002, Black
I would also check to see if the harness is fully seated to on to the plugs. also since you changed the glow plugs are you sure that you put in the right ones?
Just check every thing is in place and seated.
Still have the battery lite on dash and codes for all 4 Glow plugs all are intermittent.
The GP's are BERU 0100 226 227 same as factory.

JimsR6

TDI
X3 on the fix out of my own curiosity.