glow plug code P0672

Strack

Veteran Member
Auto zoned scanned my code and found that my number 2 glow plug circuit is acting up. I cleaned all the glow plug connections and applied electric grease, but my my check engine light is still on.

I guess it's time to replace the #2 glow plug, no big deal. But could someone tell me if I'm standing in front of the car looking at the open hood, which cylinder is #2 ? Are we counting left to right or right to left from either end? Is the number one cylinder closer to the oil dipstick or closer to the air filter box?? A sort of silly, but important question- thanks again for anyone who can assist.

Is there another way to check the #2 glow plug before buying a new one for replacement? I noticed that original Bosch replacements are about $40.00, but Champion has a glow plug for $15.00. Is anyone using Champion with success- are the two interchangable leaving three Bosch plugs and one Champion in service?? I want to do this right and hopefully the first time...

Thnx!

Last edited:

jccgmn

TDI
2003 Jetta SW, 2005 Jetta SW, 2006 Beetle, 2006 Beetle, 2015 Golf SW
Did you resolve your #2 glow plug issue. This just started happening to me the other day. I use a handheld OBD2 scanner to erase the code, but than it pops up again in a few days.

FTG

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
I kept getting P0673, glow pug #3, i cleared the code, brought it to the dealer and they could find no evidence of stored codes. A month later it came on again, I cleared the code, checked the glow plug harness on each one which seemed loose. Haven't had an issue yet for about the past 6K miles.

rix337

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta TDI
I know on the glow plugs from the 1.9l in my 2001, you could check the impedance from the top of the plug to ground. I think they were supposed to be around 1.5ohms but I can't remember for certain. If I were you, I would check the impedance of them all and see if one is way out of whack.

Mach1

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
05.5 Jetta 5 spd, 06 Jetta DE DSG, 04 F250 6L, 2000 F250 7.3L
#1 cylinder is towards the front of the engine(being the belt side), or the passenger side of the car.

Rix has a good idea, you can ohm the GP and it should be very low impedance, I believe between 1-2 ohms.

You have to match the type that's in there, may it be ceramic or steel.

Little dab of anti-sieze, small dab on the threads. torque to spec.