Glow plug 1 and MAF DTC

rangeroad

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 GLS Jetta Wagon (5-speed) Malone 1.5 w/ EGR delete
Car was running great, then a few mornings had a decent puff of white smoke, the CEL went on while driving on highway.

VAGCOM says Glowplug 1 and MAF. Strange for the 2 to come up at the same time? Are they mutually exclusive, or is one triggering the other? I’ve had the wagon for 180k kms and have not changed any glow plugs, however I did replace MAF with a new Bosch 2 years ago. Any insight appreciated. Thx.

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
What did it say about the glow plug and MAF sensor? Code numbers?
Glow plug code will not cause an air flow issue...unless you have the original Bosch 7 volt ceramic plugs and a tip broke off messing up a valve.
Do you know which glow plugs you have installed (Bosch & volt ceramic, 5 volt steel, or 7 volt hybrid NGK) and if the tune matches the plugs?
If you can find out what glow plugs you have and can read the ECU's part number (flash) in the controller's header through VCDS that would helpful.
I'm not familiar with how Malone does things but I imagine that they updated the tune to work with the latest glow plug revision. (7volt NGK hybrids).

A MAF sensor code may not be due to a faulty MAF sensor. It could well be due to a boost hose leak, EGR block off plate leak etc...
Has your car had the EGR components removed or just disabled via ECU programming.

rangeroad

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 GLS Jetta Wagon (5-speed) Malone 1.5 w/ EGR delete
thx for reply,can’t remember code numbers off hand but that was the description.

egr has been deleted via Malone 1.5, however have not had MAF DTC since it was done over 3 years ago