GLI 3-spoke steering wheel swap on my '05 NB

OmahaTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 NB TDI 5-speed
MKIV GLI 3-spoke steering wheel swap on my '05 NB

I have an opportunity to pick up a nice MKIV GLI 3-spoke steering wheel with airbag. I've read and heard that they would be a direct swap for our NBs.
Has anyone done this swap and could share their thoughts about the remove & replace process along with their overall thoughts on making the swap after running with it for some time? Any issues with the air bag connectors & horn to worry about?
Thanks
-Bob

Last edited:

Cha2ga

Veteran Member
TDI
'11 JSW
I have been piecing together info that I read here, at the org, and vortex. I am under the impression that this can only be done in a NB up to 2003. I can't pinpoint he threads right now, but I was doing the same research and am pretty comfortable it would work with my 00 NB tdi. Now, I gotta find a wheel!

OmahaTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 NB TDI 5-speed
Not sure now either. I had a person say just yesterday that my year NB's have two connectors for the airbags and the GLI wheel only has one. I've bought one from the vortex before reading this If it turns out it won't work on my '05, I will probably ave one for sale if you are still looking...

If you find out please let me know

Cha2ga

Veteran Member
TDI
'11 JSW
I'll keep digging. No one wants to throw money an time at something or no benefit. We enjoy our cars and treat it kinda like a hobby! If I can help, I will. I've been doing the same research and maybe we can get this thing figured out!

trailhead

Veteran Member
TDI
05sPD-BEWagon "Diesel Girl"
I'm confused now. Op, you mention a "3 spoke wheel" in post #1 and a "GLI wheel" in post #3. Which is it? If you post a picture I may be able to help you...

I've changed to a wheel with radio controls in my Jetta. it was a very complicated. If you just have a bag and horn to deal with, it should be do-able.

When you get the new wheel post up some pics of both wheels with the bags removed and you'll have answers quickly.

OmahaTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 NB TDI 5-speed
Sorry for the confusion. It is a GLI 3-spoke steering wheel

Here's a fuzzy pic of the back:

Hope you can help, trailhead. Thanks

cevans

TDIClub Enthusiast, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Bus
TDI
2015 Beetle Conv. TDI 6-Speed & 2006 E320 CDI
Its a direct swap - the airbag plugs should be identical. Getting the New Beetle steering wheel off is a bear though.

OmahaTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 NB TDI 5-speed
Thanks, cevans. I've done some research on that and getting those clips to release seems to be cumbersome for sure.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
The clips are odd on all of the steering wheels till you get the hang of it then it just takes seconds, must've taken me over an hour the first time lol

Over here a lot of folk get the mk5 3 spoke wheel with controls and fit them in the mk4's. Most of us don't have all the steering angle stuff though which must make things a lot easier.

OmahaTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 NB TDI 5-speed
Thanks, Seatman. I feel that the wheel removal will be more aggravating than the actual installation of the new one

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Here if you go on youtube and type in mk4 golf/jetta steering wheel removal you'll get vids on it, one guy had the thing off the car and showed you exactly how the clips work. Just remembered that.

OmahaTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 NB TDI 5-speed
I should get the steering wheel tomorrow (Thursday). I'm going to wait until this weekend when it warms up to a balmy 40 degrees, LOL. It's been in the teens & low 20s the last few days...

BlankThis

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI
Too modern, looks like a Honda wheel. I love the simplicity and understatedness of the MK4 in almost every way.

OmahaTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 NB TDI 5-speed
Its a direct swap - the airbag plugs should be identical. Getting the New Beetle steering wheel off is a bear though.
Got the airbag off my Beetle this morning and noticed 2 connectors coming from the airbag. The GLI airbag only has 1. So now I'm bummed. Really wanted to do this swap but don't see how it's possible now... I bought it for $165 shipped and then spent another $58 getting the wheel refurbished. I was pumped because the air bag is in perfect condition and now the wheel is in perfect condition.

Any ideas on making this work or do I just have to sell it?

GLI Airbag:

NB Airbag:

OmahaTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 NB TDI 5-speed
After some further research, my current airbag is a 2 stage and the GLI air bag is a single stage. I think if I can find a single stage airbag harness with the correct connector for my NB it would work.

OmahaTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 NB TDI 5-speed
It seems that after 2004 the airbags & connections changed to this 2-stage style...